Best Vest

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get a vest as part of my layering system. I prefer something that can function as an outer layer, can block wind and shed a little rain and also have some insulation, preferably synthetic. I'd love some options. Thanks

I've used two fleece vests, one from Columbia and the other was from Cabelas. Both worked well. Right now I'm using the Springer Vest from First Lite and I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't worn any of them as an outer layer, only as a part of my insulation.

halg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm love my sitka jetstream vest. It does pretty much everything you're describing. If you want warner than that (which is actually fairly warm), anything with primaloft.

WoodBow

WKR
I do not care for the springer at all. Way too heavy for it's poor insulating value. The uncompaghre vest is legit though.

Trial153

WKR
I hated the springer, like it was said above. Not very warm for its weight, and had a very awkward fit. My jet stream vest goes literally everywhere with me, warm for its weight, blocks wind and is a great stand alone outer wear over a base or mid layer. I had a Kelvin vest however I felt if it was cold enough for it I was better served with a full puffy.

nrh6.7

WKR
I'm no expert on back country clothing, but I have the uncompaghre vest and jacket, and worn together gets dang toasty without any bulk.

I do not care for the springer at all. Way too heavy for it's poor insulating value. The uncompaghre vest is legit though.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
They said it was a hot seller. Check Black Ovis and Kryptek. If they don't have it, dang! Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't like the springer vest at first either, then I got one in the next size down. Went from a medium to a small and it worked out much better.

Skeeter

FNG
I like the Kuiu Guide vest. Seems pretty durable and water resistant as an outerwear vest.

I've worn the Kuiu Guide, Sitka Jetstream, Sitka Mountain, and a thin Columbia Vest. During archery I really like the Mountain Vest. It's very thin and doesn't have very much insulation. I like that for hiking steep terrain. The Guide and Jetstream are quite a bit warmer and I like them for later in the season (rifle). Both Sitka's and the Kuiu shed water pretty decently. They have DWR coating. For what you are asking for the Jetstream and Guide would be worth looking at. I don't have experience with Kryptex or Firstlite.

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn the merino base, primaloft vest, super down puffy and rain shell for a few years now (This is all Utah seasons FYI). This combination covered me from Aug to Nov/Dec time frame with no issues including rain. I am looking at switching over to the First Lite uncompaghre vest, but believe it will be to warm. I think I will end up back with one of the light Sitka wind shear vests. Down doesn't breath, stick with synthetic!!!

warrior80

WKR
The Kuiu Guide and Sitka Jetstream are both excellent all around vests. If you want something warmer but not quite as durable for an outer piece, I have the Kuiu Superdown and Sitka Kelvin Lite. These have a thinner, "louder " outer material, so not always the best as an outer layer. Although, I saw the new Kelvin Lite vest in the new sub-alpine pattern at the expo and it is made of a softer material more along the lines of the Kuiu Kenai. I have not tried the First Lite vest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Kelvin Lite hoody that I was so impressed with, that I ended up ordering a Kelvin Lite vest. I'm equally impressed with the vest. The vest did get as much use as the hoody (jacket simply covers a larger range of conditions), but does fit the bill nicely for early season use as a primary insulating layer or late season use combined with a parka.