Best way to shoot some coons.

AGPank

WKR
I picked up a Hatsan .25 caliber pcp this year. Came with a whisper quiet barrel. They come in our patio where I feed our cat.

I shot one this year, must have weighed over 30 lbs.

The 25 is wicked on cane toads too, which are poisonous to pets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nelliott

FNG
We had a big problem the last two summers. They broke the live traps and only way to get them was with dog proofs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
Dogproofs. Set, forget, check tomorrow morning. Dispatch however you want to.

I caught a LOT of coon in box traps with canned cat food for bait. Pro tip don't just randomly set them around your coop in the open. Set them against walls or around structure and put bark or logs on them. You're not trying to hide the trap from the coon but you will catch more like that it makes them feel better about going in. I've also had a lot of success just going out back with a good light right after dark and shining all the trees around the coop.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I would not have believed if I hadn't seen it but a guy I know had a family of eight raccoons eating his pet's food in the backyard. His surveillance system recorded when they came...always between 11:30pm and 12:45am. His plan made me LOL. HE PLACED AN OLD MONOFILIMENT GILL NET UNDER THE DOG BOWLS, RIGGED A MAKESFIFT TRIGGER THAT RELEASED A BOWLING BALL THAT CLOSED THE NET LIKE A PURSE SIENE. It didn't lift em off the ground, it just trapped em on the ground. He then shot em with subsonic .22s from a pistol. The coons went nuts and the hardest part was shooting em all before the fragile net came apart. It was moving all over the place but he remedied the problem in one night. Never woulda thought that would work. He sat glued to his monitor until the moment presented itself. The bowling ball was wrapped in a motorcycle cargo net and strung from a tree limb with paracord run thru the upstairs window. He just released it to trigger the trap. The bowling ball never hit the ground. Once triggered it fell halfway closing the net. That guy is a crazy tinker type.

Should be nuisance problem in mi you can shoot all year round for nuisance. If you can't and wanna get rid of them before season you can live trap them but you have to take them 15 miles or farther or they find there way back
In Michigan it's illegal to release them once trapped....so once their cought they have to be put down.

J-no

FNG
And running coons with dogs is illegal outside of seasons in most states. To remove nuisance animals you typically need to trap or shoot them while they are causing the nuisance in most states. DP traps are super easy. I only run a dozen during the season as I have limited time. I average 8-10 a night for the first month of the season. If I could keep opossums out, my catch rate would be higher. Most traps are full every night.
You can run coons with dogs outside of the season in most states actually. Some may have a couple weeks or so that you aren’t allowed but usually you’re allowed to train dogs most of the year.

Rickt300

FNG
Well I have a dumpster in the back acre and the coons get into it making a real mess sometimes so I just put a table and a chair out, cooler full of beer and wait for them to start fooling around in my dumpster. I like using Remington subsonics in my Contender Carbine if I am real serious. If you don't make a lot of noise they come back, otherwise I use my 17 HMR. I have shot as many as 6 in a couple of hours. Found out you have to bag them up or the trash guy won't take the dumpster!

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
The most effective way to shoot coons is to first locate them with a Thermal monocular then shoot with a red light mounted on the gun. We've shot as many as 25 in a 2 hour hunt if the leaves are off. I would also follow up with trapping.
^ This! Where legal, it's damn effective.

Dan74

FNG
Contact a local coon hunter. Most hunters will live trap to use to train pup. We used to trap lots of coon to train pup. Live trap with cat food works great. Also a bag of corn and a 12 gage on a night you don't have anything else to do will get rid of them fast.

Beendare

WKR
My buddy who has a farm in Kansas does when the Coons are out of control; he sets up a corn pile or corn feeder with a light above it apx 80 yards off his back deck.

we sat out there one night drinking beer taking turns shooting those darn things and we must’ve killed 20 of them.

We were hammering them until later when the Crown and Coke’s kicked in...
—-

Sogan

FNG
You can call them out of their tree holes or trap them. With trapping I’ve had good luck with trail mix and marshmallows (some say the marshmallows mimic eggs that they like to steal). If you live out in the country, you will need to take them a good 5-10 miles away

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
If you have chickens, you will have coons, just no way around it. I kill every one that comes on my property, they're so bad around here they come around in daylight... My place 2 days ago, luckily only lost one bird:

Attachments

• dead coon.jpg
    dead coon.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 11
Coons get after my chickens. Letting your dog out helps. Will chase coons up trees. I spot light trees and shoot with 22LR.

I tried a pellet gun but not a quick kill with my cheap pellet gun (22 cal pellet)