Group Hunting…. Who gets to shoot?

You spot it you got it. Whoever locates a bull has the first option to shoot or pass. That really motivates everyone to glass glass glass!

+1 for alternating based on encounter.

No matter which option you pick, the most important part is everyone knowing and agreeing to it before you head out. No hard feelings that way.

wyogoat

WKR
I always take turns if everyone is competent at calling. Just rotate the positioning every time you get one working. I’ve shot a few bulls from the caller position that circled to get the wind right so you never know…

WCB

WKR
Rotate in by encounter or setup and LEGIT call attempt. with 3 guys IMO there should be two shooters spaced apart in front of the caller. That is how we did it while guiding 2 on 1s. Either both guys set up or one guy is sort of a filler if a bull sneaks around or the primary guy can't move to get a shot.

Also, if a bull can be killed whoever has the shot kills it. No "it was my turn" when they wouldn't have gotten a shot anyways. If 2 guys space out try not to cover the same shooting lanes to avoid the "I thought you were going to shoot" issue. Primary guy out front where the caller wants to pull the bull to and the 2nd shooter back a bit and down wind or an obvious route an elk might try to flank.

Run it by the group and make it VERY clear on how it will work...whether it is draw straws, flip cards or maybe shoot at a target at 90 yards. Who ever is closest get first shot, then 2nd etc.

I bailed out of a hunt with two buddies when my one buddies Brother in Law was invited. I guided and it was all their first elk hunts. I knew it was going to turn into a "you call you know what you are doing" scenario. Glad I did because the stories from the trip I heard were hilarious (only because I wasn't there).

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Rotate in by encounter or setup and LEGIT call attempt. with 3 guys IMO there should be two shooters spaced apart in front of the caller. That is how we did it while guiding 2 on 1s. Either both guys set up or one guy is sort of a filler if a bull sneaks around or the primary guy can't move to get a shot.

Also, if a bull can be killed whoever has the shot kills it. No "it was my turn" when they wouldn't have gotten a shot anyways. If 2 guys space out try not to cover the same shooting lanes to avoid the "I thought you were going to shoot" issue. Primary guy out front where the caller wants to pull the bull to and the 2nd shooter back a bit and down wind or an obvious route an elk might try to flank.

Run it by the group and make it VERY clear on how it will work...whether it is draw straws, flip cards or maybe shoot at a target at 90 yards. Who ever is closest get first shot, then 2nd etc.

I bailed out of a hunt with two buddies when my one buddies Brother in Law was invited. I guided and it was all their first elk hunts. I knew it was going to turn into a "you call you know what you are doing" scenario. Glad I did because the stories from the trip I heard were hilarious (only because I wasn't there).

X2 I don’t think I could have said it any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luked

WKR
Have all of you hunted out west before?
When I went last year it was my first time out. Buddy I went with goes out west a lot. So I got first shot op if we had one.

Appreciate all the input! Some of those ideas I never considered. Two of us it will be be our first time so we wont be picky. We will be archery hunting so only one person might have the shot opportunity is a good point. Thanks again for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well let's hope all 3 of you can use a diaphragm and a bugle tube. Have a dedicated caller each day and then just rotate and have the other 2 bring their bows. In my experience it just doesn't work very well to have the caller try to be ready with his/her bow. Alot of time the caller needs to have bugle tube in one hand and something to rake with in the other and they also need to be able to move around quickly to keep that bull coming in the right direction.

nphunter

WKR
Me and my hunting partner use to say whoever gets the first bugle is shooter first. We would drive around and take turns bugling and whoever got a response first was first up.
When actually being in on a bull whoever has a clean shot shoots, I’ve been setup on a nice six point and instead of walking into my lane it walked in front of my hunting partner and he shot. The same has been reversed, I was calling for him with no real intent to shoot, while calling to the herd bull I pulled a couple younger bulls off of the group and killed a 5x6 and went right back to calling. My buddy ended up missing the big 6 or we would have had a double.
We always tried to designate a caller and shooter but so many times in thick timber it’s really a crap shoot where the elk or elk(s) will come in, sometimes they come from all directions. Everyone in our group carries a bow as long as they have a valid tag.

I always take turns if everyone is competent at calling. Just rotate the positioning every time you get one working. I’ve shot a few bulls from the caller position that circled to get the wind right so you never know…
This, everyone should have an arrow knocked.

We sometime draw from a deck of cards to determine the pecking order. And guys have passed only to eat their tag. Pretty simple. Good luck whatever you do.

rootacres

WKR
Whoever spots it first gets first right of refusal.

That keeps everyone on the glass, which is ultimately what brings home animals.

Im in agreement with this guy.

Times slots are hard, certain times are inherently worse/better than others. The focus from the guys off the clock may be lacking. Among other issues like weather. The potential of each individual being successful can untimely fall on their ability to spot animals. Keeps everyone engaged while still enjoying the teamwork/camaraderie of a group hunt.

GatorDoon

FNG
With my hunting buddy, we decide who is the "primary shooter" for the morning, and then switch for the afternoon. We then reverse for the order for the next day. But we have an agreement that the elk does not get away, despite primary shooter status (in case only one of us gets an ethical shot). And we always split the meat regardless.

Overdrive

WKR
Since there's 3 of you and your probably going to call being Archery season, I'd use the triangle method.

Do your call set ups in a triangle and call back and forth to each other like you're a herd, if a person spots an Elk coming in to them they stop calling, that person becomes the shooter and the other 2 are now callers. This way all 3 of you are hunting and calling, you never know where that elk will show up. It has worked for me for 25+ years and no matter how far apart you set up you know when someone has an elk coming in because they haven't called in a while.

Take turns calling throughout the day, whoever gets the response is the caller and the others take shooting positions. Rifle is usually whoever spots it but first timers and kids usually get the green light. Never have issues as one person is usually more excited about an encounter and solves itself. Hunt with like-minded individuals.