best way to tighten up grouping - poll

where would my money best be spent to tighten up arrow grouping?

• New Arrow build

• Different Release

• Pro bow Tuning

• Hire Archery coach

• Different Stabilizer

• Leave it as is

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
ok guys, I would like to tighten up my grouping and looking for some input.

shooting a prime alloy 70lbs, gold tip Hunter xt 340 3 vane, 125gr heads, pincher style release, 8 inch trophy ridge quick release stabilizer.

grouping 3-4" at 30yrds, 6-8" at 60yrds

where would my money best be spent to improve here?

looking at a thumb release
longer/better stabilizer
upgrading arrows to a 5mm shaft (I do like the low cost of what I shoot however)
wondering if it's my inconsistencies that could be corrected with a professional coach as sometimes I am dialed in it seems.

appreciate the expertise here. thanks in advance.

406unltd

WKR
As long as your setup is correct for your personal specs you won’t be able to buy your way to performance you see down range. A great archer with shit equipment will still shoot it good. All of our gear is capable of far more than we can get out of it. So without a doubt I’d work on yourself.

You have a great set up. Work on Technique. From your grip to release. Lots of great Videos on YouTube. I watched all of the School of Nock by John Dudley. His vids really helped me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Assuming your bow is properly tuned and that you’re not underspined.
Shooting quarter sized dots has made me more accurate. I noticed this not long after I first started.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
PSE Archery School with Coach Alexander Kirillov changed my life, so that's the best suggestion I can give you. Confidence, awareness, and understanding of the way archery really works was the key for me.

Some specifics: Shoot blank bale every day. Use a shot trainer every day. Shoot your bow every day. Learn to shoot back tension with a hinge release safely - buy a sweet spot flex, get really comfortable with it, then you can play with a thumb/resistance release like a Nock2it.

ok guys, I would like to tighten up my grouping and looking for some input.

shooting a prime alloy 70lbs, gold tip Hunter xt 340 3 vane, 125gr heads, pincher style release, 8 inch trophy ridge quick release stabilizer.

grouping 3-4" at 30yrds, 6-8" at 60yrds

where would my money best be spent to improve here?

looking at a thumb release
longer/better stabilizer
upgrading arrows to a 5mm shaft (I do like the low cost of what I shoot however)
wondering if it's my inconsistencies that could be corrected with a professional coach as sometimes I am dialed in it seems.

appreciate the expertise here. thanks in advance.
Watch nock on videos abs commit to shooting a surprise release. They will get worse and then get better.

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
technique and focus. I know if I have one other thing on my mind my groups open up big time. It takes complete focus to shoot groups at just 40 or 50 yards let alone 60 or 70. you have a solid set up. work on a smooth release and I bet you start stacking them!

qwerksc

WKR
Carter evolution or nock on silverback, shoot a lot. Punching the trigger then looking for results, has to stop. Geek out on archery. Shoot with archers who are better than you. Watch archery tournaments like it’s a sport. Listen to BowJunky podcast. Tim gillingham, Dave cousins, Jesse broadwater, Dan McCarthy, Levi Morgan...watch em, listen to everything these guys have to say.
You must have the desire to want to become a better archer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's amazing how accurate one can be with a bow........when the bow is set up right. Even minor changes can make a big difference......draw length, cam timing, and stabilization all make a world of difference.

Brendan

WKR
Making sure your bow is tuned and set up correctly is always a good starting point.

Then, Get a coach or do a lot of self video / critque. Work on proper form, practice.

Then, if you're a trigger puncher, moving to a hinge or tension release and learning to float the pin and achieve a surprise shot will help. But, longer term project, you'll get worse before you get better and you need to commit. Thumb release is still a trigger and you can still punch it just the same as an index trigger....

You didn't mention it above, but If you don't have the gear and are serious about archery, I'd consider spending my $$$ on press, draw board, scale, etc...

cured_ham

WKR
Make sure bow is tuned and form is consistent.

Those early Prime's are awesome shooting bows but my Centergy just would not play nice until I got it tuned. It was super sensitive to torque until I had it bareshafting past 20. Once it was nice and tuned it was a lot more forgiving of my form.

OP
Cstangle24
but guys shiny new stuff is more fun. haha

appreciate all the input, I will be looking into an archery coach, someone who can verify my equipment is set up properly and identify and correct my mistakes.

any suggestions in Phoenix Az, preferably in the West valley?

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Not really knowing your set up and tune , I can only speak to what helped me. Most influential change was to learn to shoot a thumb trigger. I had sometimes horrible target panic trigger punch with an index trigger develop late in my archery career. Most likely caused by my MS. I really get shaky hands. Anchor with thumb gets me more stable

dkime

WKR
A good coach can help eliminate the LOFT, in the end accuracy is gonna come from you finding what works best for you.

Doesn't hurt to make sure your bow is in tune. I shot some cheap shoddy arrows very accurately out of a cheap bear bow that was tuned well.

Once you have your equipment dialed in, its up to you as the human element after that. Its easy to want to blame your equipment but as the years go by, in archery, I'm more and more aware of the mistakes I'm making and don't look to blame my equipment as fast for a bad shooting session.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Doesn't hurt to make sure your bow is in tune. I shot some cheap shoddy arrows very accurately out of a cheap bear bow that was tuned well.

Once you have your equipment dialed in, its up to you as the human element after that. Its easy to want to blame your equipment but as the years go by, in archery, I'm more and more aware of the mistakes I'm making and don't look to blame my equipment as fast for a bad shooting session.

Real hard to get a bow tuned when form errors and inconsistency are the real problem. You will get a good tear and then a bad tear. You end up chasing your tail.