Better option than Kenetrek Mountain Extreme Boots???

I guess I have to ask. Tried a different wax, have you tried quality socks, different insoles, experimented with lacing? I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mt Ext and Schnees Beartooth Classics to compare side by side. Out of the box, for me, both needed help. The Kenetreks dug into my arches initially. But after swapping to their comfort sole they were much more comfortable. The Schnees were literally transformed with differently shaped insoles but mostly due to a better lacing technique. Completely eliminated the heel slip I was experiencing. I ended up keeping the Beartooths. Mainly because they did not have a waterproof membrane. Keeping your feet dry is more of a system and technique than just the boot doing it alone.

Last edited:

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
Has worked just fine for me. Been doing it that way for 25+ years.

Using the appropriate socks for the temps and hiking/pack weight conditions make it work. I have many different sets of socks that I will change out based on the day's weather forecast and where/what I'm doing. But my hunting boots never get worn for casual use or work outside of initial break in.

Agreed. Socks make all the difference.

If you can find them, i would recommend one of the heavier boots by Hanwag to compare with your Kenetreks. You can get them cheaper on some German backpacking websites and even with shipping it is still usually cheaper than the few places in the U.S. that sells them. Obviously everyone's feet are different but i am have switched to Hanwag after years of wearing Lowa Tibets, Asolo FSN, Scarpa, and Meindl (not the Cabelas kind). I have the leather lined Hanwag Yukon and Nazcat boots. The Alaska is a Gore-Tex lined boot, The Yukon is leather lined. Both are very similar to the Lowa Tibet but i think more comfortable with a little more room in the toe box.

The rubber in the Hanwag vibrams seems a little stickier than the vibrams on Lowa and Scarpa on wet rocks. Wear seems about the same. Insoles are pretty thin so i use the blue (low arch) Superfeet and have been happy with them.

OP
Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm gonna pursue the L&S boot custom fit Mountain Hunter.

I figure if I'm going to be paying top dollar for a pair of boots, I might as well go with a company that custom builds them for my feet so they are exactly what I need.
I see it like a custom rifle. If I'm going to pay a lot of money for a rifle, I'm not going to get an expensive factory rig that is really nice but has a couple things I dont care for. I will custom build the rifle exactly how I want with top quality components.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Has worked just fine for me. Been doing it that way for 25+ years.

Using the appropriate socks for the temps and hiking/pack weight conditions make it work. I have many different sets of socks that I will change out based on the day's weather forecast and where/what I'm doing. But my hunting boots never get worn for casual use or work outside of initial break in.

Every November hunt I've ever done (quite a few), I was wearing Sorel Pac boots in 12+ inches of snow and many times in sub-zero temps. There aren't enough socks in the store to make my early season boots keep my feet warm in that.

OP
Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
To each his own I guess. I have excellent circulation in my hands and feet. I often dont wear gloves while hiking in sub zero temps. Often pick up the snow with my bare hands and eat it too! Lol. 400 grams has always done well for me during both early and late season hunting in Montana. No complaints.

wildcat33

WKR
I think I'm gonna pursue the L&S boot custom fit Mountain Hunter.

I figure if I'm going to be paying top dollar for a pair of boots, I might as well go with a company that custom builds them for my feet so they are exactly what I need.
I see it like a custom rifle. If I'm going to pay a lot of money for a rifle, I'm not going to get an expensive factory rig that is really nice but has a couple things I dont care for. I will custom build the rifle exactly how I want with top quality components.

You might be mistaken about “custom building for your feet”. I’m sure they are not bespoke from a custom last of your foot. I’ve never actually read for certain what makes this process “custom” maybe they stretch them. Either way it’s not crazy expensive and you get the insoles.

Mntnere

FNG
Wool is a good fiber for warmth. I have a question, has anyone tried hunting in cold weather say 10-25 degrees with uninsulated boots. I'm needing boots and have always used 400-600 gram boots with wool socks and my feet sweat then get cold. Hence the extra pair of socks. But if I spend the $$$ for uninsulated and that's just not enough I'll regret it and need to buy boots again .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I have hunted many days over the past 6 seasons in snow and temps below 20 degrees with uninsulated leather boots. I usually wear light or mid wt Smart Wool merino hiking socks with my Lowa Tibets and do not recall ever feeling like my feet were uncomfortable. I am usually moving and if I am glassing, I'm not sitting there for hours.

Wool is a good fiber for warmth. I have a question, has anyone tried hunting in cold weather say 10-25 degrees with uninsulated boots. I'm needing boots and have always used 400-600 gram boots with wool socks and my feet sweat then get cold. Hence the extra pair of socks. But if I spend the $$$ for uninsulated and that's just not enough I'll regret it and need to buy boots again .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
It depends on the hunting you are doing. I have hunted in the mountains with my uninsulated Kennetrek Mountain Extremes and it was great in those temps. Whitetail hunting in the treestand in Michigan in those temps is another story.

BluMtn

WKR
If you can find them, i would recommend one of the heavier boots by Hanwag to compare with your Kenetreks. You can get them cheaper on some German backpacking websites and even with shipping it is still usually cheaper than the few places in the U.S. that sells them. Obviously everyone's feet are different but i am have switched to Hanwag after years of wearing Lowa Tibets, Asolo FSN, Scarpa, and Meindl (not the Cabelas kind). I have the leather lined Hanwag Yukon and Nazcat boots. The Alaska is a Gore-Tex lined boot, The Yukon is leather lined. Both are very similar to the Lowa Tibet but i think more comfortable with a little more room in the toe box.

The rubber in the Hanwag vibrams seems a little stickier than the vibrams on Lowa and Scarpa on wet rocks. Wear seems about the same. Insoles are pretty thin so i use the blue (low arch) Superfeet and have been happy with them.

I have been wearing the Tatra Top GTX Boot. comfortable and built to take the mountains.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/hanwag-men-s-tatra-top-gtx-boot_10230537

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the Kenetrek Mountain Guides. Theyre the mountain extremes but better (from what I can tell) zero issues with a non insulated pair from moose this year. Temps were high 20s to mid 50s and wet. Honestly will never buy another boot for hunting. These mountain guides are staying till I walk out of them, then I'll buy another pair.

Tower

FNG
Danner still makes the Elk Hunter boots, just not through Cabela’s.

I've always been a big fan of the mountain extremes, thought the soles seam to wear rather fast for me. Recently I have been an even bigger fan of the La Sportivia Nepal Cubes. They are a true mountaineering style boot. They work great in the nasty steep terrain and fit well too.

400-600 grams of insulation would be plenty if I’m walking all day, no matter the temps but my feet are always warm. With good socks they would be just fine for warmer temps. I live in Wisconsin so sitting in a tree stand with only 600 grams is a no go.

You might be mistaken about “custom building for your feet”. I’m sure they are not bespoke from a custom last of your foot. I’ve never actually read for certain what makes this process “custom” maybe they stretch them. Either way it’s not crazy expensive and you get the insoles.

It is my understanding that their system is matching a boot to your foot shape, i.e. from the measurements you provide and the tracing of your foot, they will choose a boot brand and model that will best fit that foot shape, recommend it and provide insole(s), and socks etc,. to provide best fit and comfort in their opinion using their years of experience.

PA Hunter

WKR
I love my Lowa GTX Hunter boots, trampled all over Montana and Wyoming . They have 400 gram insulation I pair them with merino Smartwool PhD socks and no liner socks. There are also many different ways to tie your laces that may help lock in your heel to avoid blisters.