Better than leupold

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey crew -
I've ALWAYS been a dedicated and loyal Leupold customer. I'm just curious now IF I should upgrade a bit ?
Any suggestions of a GOOD mid to SLIGHTLY upper priced scope that MAY BE better than Leupold Vari X II, Vari X III or VX2 series but NOT into VX5, VX6 HD $$ territory ? I was maybe thinking Vortex Vipers ? I'm may be swapping a few scopes around for higher power, side focus and possibly FFP? I mainly have a few Leupold Vari-X, VX series along with a few Vortex Diamondbacks (one of them HD series that seems great... but, it has been discontinued).
Thanks in advance.
Frank

gerry35

WKR
That's the big question, I have several Burris and a Weaver Grand Slam and been happy so far. In my research here and asking knowledgeable guys Nightforce SHV and Trijicon have a pretty good reputation.

JFK

WKR
Nightforce shv 3-10 is a solid choice. I wouldn’t look at vortex as an upgrade. Plenty of guys on here will tell you to get a 3-9 swfa. Functionally, it’s solid but I can’t get over how over sized the turrets are and the reticle is pretty useless at lower mag. But again, a lot of people love them and they are a lot less money than the the shv.

kkp005

WKR
Yep .. check out the Triji credos. I’ve got 3 of them and to me they are just as good as my vx5hd’s

KenLee

WKR
Great info so far, Thanks.... the Nightforce are very expensive AND I think the reticles are so busy. I have to check out the Credos. I've seen them mentioned often.
I don't own a Credo because of the reticles. I'm an old fart and like a simple duplex or 4a reticle with small illuminated center dot.
If you are just looking for a hunting scope in the 6-700 range, find a Accupoint 2.5-10x56 with amber dot to look through and you'll buy one. Nothing that I've used will compare in that price range for usability and dependability.
You mentioned possibly a FFP. From my experience, you'll hate it for hunting coming from what you're used to.

OP
Flgrizzy

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
Walking in and out and slipping around with magnification on 3ish, you bump a deer and have to shoot quick= "where's that dang crosshair?" No illumination and close in at low light = same.
Understood... but, I mainly stand hunt. The times I have slipped through the woods on deer and hogs, I am used to no illumination. Not many of my scopes have fine crosshairs so, that helps on low power and quick shots for me.

KenLee

WKR
Understood... but, I mainly stand hunt. The times I have slipped through the woods on deer and hogs, I am used to no illumination. Not many of my scopes have fine crosshairs so, that helps on low power and quick shots for me.
I'm trying to say that FFP scopes have very fine crosshairs and are hard to see when on low magnification. Much harder to see than the reticle on SFP scopes. For me anyway

OP
Flgrizzy

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to say that FFP scopes have very fine crosshairs and are hard to see when on low magnification. Much harder to see than the reticle on SFP scopes. For me anyway
Ahhhhh.... I got ya. THAT makes perfect sense now. Thank you

Tmac

WKR
Great info so far, Thanks.... the Nightforce are very expensive AND I think the reticles are so busy. I have to check out the Credos. I've seen them mentioned often.
The Nightforce SHV line had a regular Crosshair, duplex style, as an option on some scopes last I checked.

OP
Flgrizzy

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA 3x9 milquad reticle mil/mil and you’re set.

Reticle is fully functional.

Holds zero. Returns to zero. Dials precisely.

Lightyears ahead of anything you own in regards to functionality and what matters
Thanks. I'll check 'em out too