Bi-V Pacemaker

Long story short. I was informed by my Dr. the ventricles in my heart are not beating in sync and has recommended I get a biventricular pacemaker implanted.
Has anyone had this done?

Has it affected your hunting or other active activities in any way?

Thank you for any info you can provide.

grfox92

WKR
I had a defribrillator from age 21-33. Never actually needed it as I was misdiagnosed. I had it removed in 2017.

Mine didn't pace it was just a defib. But I do know that with a pacer, you can still do just about anything besides heavy benchpressing or shoulder pressing in the gym.

Your doctor will fill you in on all of that stuff, but I would say your hunting will be unaffected by the pacemaker itself. Now weather or not whatever is going on with your heart will affect your hunting is something you have to talk about with your Dr.

Good luck. Don't be nervous it's pretty straight forward procedure.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

bobr1

WKR
I don’t have personal experience with having one. But from learning about it in school if you are at the point of needing a pace maker, usually you should probably get one. I don’t think you will have any issues with hunting. It will honestly probably make your hunting easier and safer, especially if you are doing higher altitude hunting or getting your heart rate up hiking. There can be a lot of different issues with the heart and rymithicity. But ventricles vs atria are much more serious issue. You don’t want to go in to ventricular fib or vtach. But in doesn’t sound like you are having those issues or they would recommend a implanted defibrillator…. Anyways just my 2 cents.

92xj

WKR
Aorta valve replacement and ascending aorta aneurysm repair surgery lead to the electronics of the heart being cut. Needless to say, a pacemaker was installed and I’m still alive. Not exactly what I was expecting to have at 36 years old. The pacemaker is odd and after two years of having it, I still struggle with it a little. I have zero restrictions besides “don’t get impaled” because it could dislodge a wire, but I feel like everyone in the world has that restriction. Also, there are so many settings, it’ll take a while for you and the doc to figure them out, like having a ceiling limit for your upper bpm. Though your doc might not set it lower than you can get your rate up too. All in all, it’s a scary thought but having it is a breeze and my lifestyle didn’t change of mountain hunting. The one thing I wish I knew before getting one, which was also a surprise and not planned, was that they can put them in different areas than the norm. The norm is right where your left shoulder strap on a pack lands…. I have made it work but would sure love my pacemaker tucked under a lower rib instead of where that strap lands.

OP
tim tarras
Thank you for the info. This is exactly what I wanted to know especially the alternate locations for placement.

ODB

WKR
Yup was gonna mention location. Don’t have one but a friend does and he’s got it left side so it doesn’t interfere with shooting. Best of luck.

willtim

WKR
Resynchronization can make a huge difference. I've seen very poor EF's return to normal. Make sure you get a left heart cath to evaluate your coronary arteries.

tony

WKR
I'm a prison nurse, just got a 30 y/o female inmate druggie has this bi vent pacer.
Paid for by me and you.

I had a pacemaker implanted on Christmas Eve 2015. At the time I was randomly blacking out. Luckily, I was wearing a heart monitor and it caught an episode where my heart stopped for nine seconds.

You can still get out and hunt but you will have to find a new 'normal'. That was the hardest thing for me to come to terms with. Mentally, I was still as fit as I was before the pacemaker. Physically, I was in a different zip code.

Good luck on the surgery and keep us posted.

OP
tim tarras
Update....

I got an early Christmas present on Friday morning (12/23). I went in and had the pacemaker implanted in my left shoulder (they no longer do under the rib). It is going to take a little bit (4-6 weeks) to see the total benefits of the surgery. I do feel better and the last 2 nights I have had the most rest full sleep I have had in years. So I am taking it as a good sign.