Big Bucks Question

Rich M

WKR
Was just looking at 2 posts and they got me thinking.

We don't have the numbers of mule deer that we used to, and that translates into less BIG bucks for folks to hunt.

So - what's to blame? There are a ton of variables, across multiple states - it's not like all the deer are gone from here and not there, this seems to be more widespread.

Disease, winter kills?
Migratory routes blocked by fences?
Season dates?
Poachers?
Just plain more hunters these days?
Folks shooting smaller bucks & not letting them grow up?
The internet?

Wapiti1

WKR
In terms of total number of mule deer:
Human encroachment and habitat loss is number one. Winter kill/disease is number two (but recoverable). Competition from other species (not human) is number three. Predators is number 4. This is in general from studies that I have read on mule deer population decline.

Big buck population is more related to management practices. The Henry Mountains have lots of big bucks, Montana has a few.

Jeremy

Winterkill is an up and down cycle but most areas bounce back fine a few years out of a bad winter.

Issue one is development on winter range. Predators being managed less aggressively is impactful as is better shooting technology. There’s also the lacking wildfire policy in recent decades and competition from elk that are much more prevalent today than years past.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Was just looking at 2 posts and they got me thinking.

We don't have the numbers of mule deer that we used to, and that translates into less BIG bucks for folks to hunt.

So - what's to blame? There are a ton of variables, across multiple states - it's not like all the deer are gone from here and not there, this seems to be more widespread.

Disease, winter kills?
Migratory routes blocked by fences?
Season dates?
Poachers?
Just plain more hunters these days?
Folks shooting smaller bucks & not letting them grow up?
The internet?

Winterkill around here. Hunter numbers been pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Loss of habitat, poor predator management (coyotes and lions moreso than wolves), competition with elk and winter kill.

I'm pretty anti elk but they definitely out compete deer for resources

I think people under estimate the competition with Elk and how they handle that.
I know this has a big effect on the deer. We have been seeing a lot more elk in certain areas, both mule deer and whitetail numbers are not what they were five years ago when it was much less common to see the elk.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Thanks guys. I really had no idea.

We have areas we're losing deer and hogs down here but it's from th FL panthers. Go figure.