Big city living

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting to see everyone’s definition of a city. We’re using examples ranging from 1-10 million people. That’s quite the spectrum, not sure why we’re lumping them together in one category.

I’d reckon most urbanites value very shallow things, namely shopping at over priced stores, eating at overpriced restaurants, and generally just wasting money on shallow useless things. I say that as that is all they want to do when we visit them.
I've eaten at a number of "overpriced restaurants"...

All are way cheaper than my wild game meals.

You’re doing it wrong then, because I’ve priced out my game meat and even on out of state hunts it is usually less than $8/lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How easy is it to make $100K/year when you live in a rural area?
How about $150K/year?
How about $200K/year?
etc.

Most people living in the cities are not there because they like having millions of people on top of them. They are there to make money.

You know all those left coast and NY liberals buying up all the land and ranchettes anywhere near a ski area out West? They are able to do that because they lived in the cities for a couple of decades. They don't know how to change a flat tire, but they can make money in the city, and now they just bought the land you used to hunt on and built a lodge that is nicer and bigger than your house, that they might spend 6 weeks out of the year in, jacking the property taxes up on everyone and pricing out regular folks.

Everything is a trade off

Maybe use to be, but not anymore.

A deer tag here cost $20. I don’t think you’ve eaten in any restaurant much less a big city one in quite awhile. The last regular old fish fry we went to in my town of 2500 cost me $80 for 3 people. I can only imagine what that would be in Chicago, New York, or LA. My wild game is way way cheaper!

Yep, same as yours just being an opinion. The major difference is I don’t act like my opinion is supremely superior to others.

Its almost like that has been the point of my responses.
The major difference…..im right. If not you wouldn’t rather suck on a shotgun than live in a city. I see no reason to understand or find a reason to agree with why a city person likes the city. I just hope they stay there.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
“I see no reason to understand or find a reason to agree with why a city person likes the city.”

The wheels on the bus go round and round
Round and round
Round and round
The wheels on the bus go round and round . . . .

CorbLand

WKR
The major difference…..im right. If not you wouldn’t rather suck on a shotgun than live in a city. I see no reason to understand or find a reason to agree with why a city person likes the city. I just hope they stay there.
Facts are right or wrong. Opinions are just opinions.

Trust me, we all know you are right and everyone else is wrong.

KurtR

WKR
Interesting to see everyone’s definition of a city. We’re using examples ranging from 1-10 million people. That’s quite the spectrum, not sure why we’re lumping them together in one category.
Anything over 10000 is a big city for us Sodak folks

CorbLand

WKR
Plus the fact most people dont know what the true cost is. Its like the guys here who say walleye they catch is cheaper than the store as they back up with 100,000 dollar ranger hooked to a 80000 dollar truck with 10000 in tackle in the boat they use 5 months out of the year.
Thats called wife math. You use it when you are trying to convince her to let you buy something.

Plus the fact most people dont know what the true cost is. Its like the guys here who say walleye they catch is cheaper than the store as they back up with 100,000 dollar ranger hooked to a 80000 dollar truck with 10000 in tackle in the boat they use 5 months out of the year.
Exactly. Even out of state tags are cheap compared to fuel, gear, camp food and supplies...

I love to hunt and fish, so I spend money on them.

I also enjoy a nice meal in a nice restaurant, so I spend money on that.

The cost of a high end restraunt is just easier to tabulate.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
The WFH market Seems to be contracting at the moment, unfortunately. I’m sure it will stabilize and correct itself once again as companies don’t get the outcomes they are looking for with RTO.

Young guy with 2.5 years at my current job. Never met a single coworker face to face, they live on the west coast while I travel the country for my gf’s travel nurse gigs. I couldn’t be happier!

tony

WKR
I grew up in a fairly large city in Ohio, Akron around 200,000. When I was a kid you literally could run around the neighborhood all night. Ride the bus, your bike, etc and be safe. There were issues but, as a kid I guess I didn’t see them. My neighbors and best friends were from WV having come to Ohio to work. They are still there and I’m in WV.
My parents moved to the edge of town to escape the rising crime. And every year the murder rate goes up. There is a small bow shop out there way, I stopped in once to look around and asked the owner if there was any hunting in the county and he laughed. Even with being over run with deer, hunting is very, very limited.
Im pretty open minded when it comes to politics I think. I just can’t live in a democrat controlled city/county, liberal democrat controlled. We have a few decent dems in my WV county that seem to have some common sense.

Myself, like many mentioned like have the “big city” close enough. Say an hour away. My GF lives about an hour from Columbus, one of the top 20 largest cities in the U.S. most have never heard of. I’m an hour from 2 of WVs biggest cities so that’s good enough.
Thing is popular small towns are overrun with city assholes. Moab Utah when we were there was like driving though Vegas, crazy.

My GF lives in an ultra liberal county thanks to Ohio U. Yet the rest of the county is rural woods and farms. Maybe it’s me but, home prices in these democrat / liberal areas seem much higher than red run areas. Ether way small to medium size towns are what I’m after. After visiting Arizona and Utah, some of those villages were to remote even for me!

CorbLand

WKR
I grew up in a fairly large city in Ohio, Akron around 200,000. When I was a kid you literally could run around the neighborhood all night. Ride the bus, your bike, etc and be safe. There were issues but, as a kid I guess I didn’t see them. My neighbors and best friends were from WV having come to Ohio to work. They are still there and I’m in WV.
My parents moved to the edge of town to escape the rising crime. And every year the murder rate goes up. There is a small bow shop out there way, I stopped in once to look around and asked the owner if there was any hunting in the county and he laughed. Even with being over run with deer, hunting is very, very limited.
Im pretty open minded when it comes to politics I think. I just can’t live in a democrat controlled city/county, liberal democrat controlled. We have a few decent dems in my WV county that seem to have some common sense.

Myself, like many mentioned like have the “big city” close enough. Say an hour away. My GF lives about an hour from Columbus, one of the top 20 largest cities in the U.S. most have never heard of. I’m an hour from 2 of WVs biggest cities so that’s good enough.
Thing is popular small towns are overrun with city assholes. Moab Utah when we were there was like driving though Vegas, crazy.

My GF lives in an ultra liberal county thanks to Ohio U. Yet the rest of the county is rural woods and farms. Maybe it’s me but, home prices in these democrat / liberal areas seem much higher than red run areas. Ether way small to medium size towns are what I’m after. After visiting Arizona and Utah, some of those villages were to remote even for me!
You mean your not going to be moving to Warm River, Idaho any time soon?

tony

WKR
No way! :ROFLMAO:
How is that a city?
Thurman here in WV has 5 people, the National park service maintains it as its part of the New River national park.
We stayed in Cannonville Utah, I think it was around 200 people. I’m like yeah, this is a little too small for me. :D