Big city living

Hnthrdr

WKR
The city folk can keep their cities. If I want fancy food, I’ll cook it.

My wife and I are blessed to have a few acres outside of town, but only 18 minutes to a major hospital. Even closer to a large grocery store. Can’t see our nearest neighbors.

View attachment 568925

View attachment 568926
View attachment 568923

View attachment 568922

View attachment 568921

View attachment 568920

View attachment 568919

More power to you if you prefer tight quarters and concrete. Not for me.

P
Beautiful home! But even more beautiful that flock of gobblers and nice little deer herd! That is awesome

I love driving in cities, but not when we have the rental Chrysler minivan from the airport. It’s fun for a country boy to go see a ball game once and a while

Everyone has choices and priorities on where we live . In northern minnesota . Town of about 12,000 . For a small town regional heath care center with access to larger facilities, state university , regional airport to minneapolis then wherever you want . Big box stores if needed . Good schools . We live about 12 miles out (one stop sign)on edge of tons of public land and lakes . blessed to have good job . Pretty quiet living here . Has everything i need . Drawback is up to 6 months of Winter . Big cities fun to visit , but after about 3 days get that suffocating feeling and need to get back to the woods. Lol

I live on the edge of a big city it is considered a “metro area”. If you add up all the different connected cities it’s 2.2 million people.

I hate the city I work in. Where I live is pretty nice.

Lots of bike paths, parks, hiking trails, laws are enforced, everyone is nice, everything is clean, and well maintained. 5 minute drive from my house is a pretty cool trail I hike a lot. I do a 5 mile figure 8. It’s pretty steep up hill for almost 1.5 miles, steep down hill for about a 1 mile, steep uphill 1 mile, then steep down hill for 1.5 miles. It’s all in the trees, I see deer and coyotes if early morning or late evenings.

5 minutes away there is also a pretty famous stealhead river. Lots of salmon and trout fishing nearby.

I have killed some really nice bears an hour away. This area also used to be some of the best blacktail deer hunting around. Those days are over, but there’s still deer. One of my best friends elk hunts about 1.5 hours away. He kills a bull most years. 2 bulls over 300 inches last 5 years.

I elk hunt 5-6 hour drive from home. My buddy and I kill bulls pretty much every year. It’s close enuff that can do 3 day trips over there no problem.
Archery season is a month long!

I’m 1.5 hours from the beach, basically at the start of the foothills of the cascade mountains.

I’m only about 5 minutes away from where there’s no more neighborhoods, and everyone is on some amount of acreage.

I’ve been doing my job for a long time. I’m set up where I can do the paperwork part of it at home if I want. If all my work is done I can head out of town on a Friday afternoon, and be at the beach, or central Oregon by dinner.

Where I am at is a pretty good place to live for me.

jimh406

WKR
I was going to retire in a city. I drew a line at allowing people to do whatever they want including pooping on sidewalks at will.

Fwiw, this phenomenom seems to be a uniquely US experience. So, I moved to rural MT. Really a shame that the cites are like that. On the plus side, we visited many of the larger cities before craziness set in. However, there are plus sides to rural life.

ColoradoV

WKR
Big cities are great to visit = or São Paulo, Buenos Aires, New York, San Francisco, Rome, Tokyo, London, Mexico City, heck even LA, Chicago, and even Miami have that big city feel..

Big cities are great love to visit and try and spend a month year in one w the fam. Just don’t mingle them in w a little cow town like Denver as it is not comparable.

Or when I go to a city I like to spend time to in an actual big city….

W that said I live in a small house at over 8’k ft in a town w 3000 folks 👍..

It's amazing when you think about what our Grand-Parents called the "good ole days" in the 40's, then my Parents remark about their "good ole days" in the 50's, and I remark to my kids about "good ole days" in the 60's and early 70's. The kids growing up today, can they possible say now is the "good ole days" in 20 years? I can't imagine.

Last edited:
Federal law enforcement. Jobs in all 50 states. Pick the state you wanna live in and the agency then have it. Do you 20 years, retire early, then stay or move wherever you want!
Yeah, Federal L.E. My good friend worked with me at NOPD, then went with a Federal LE Agency in 1988. He had a falling out with his Supervisor in the early 2000's, and he ended up transferred to South Africa for four years. Talk about a change in scenery.

hunterjmj

WKR
What do you guys that live way out of town do for a living?
Refrigeration. Years ago we were in KC for a graduation/mini vacation and a lady we met thought it was funny I worked in refrigeration in Montana cause it was so cold up here. I told her yes, we have grocery stores in Montana and our food must stay cold. Some people have no clue. She had Montana confused with the Antarctica I guess.

WCB

WKR
I was going to retire in a city. I drew a line at allowing people to do whatever they want including pooping on sidewalks at will.

Fwiw, this phenomenom seems to be a uniquely US experience. So, I moved to rural MT. Really a shame that the cites are like that. On the plus side, we visited many of the larger cities before craziness set in. However, there are plus sides to rural life.
Shitting on sidewalks is coming to a town near you. Mom was driving through Bozeman by Murdoch's and sees a guy on the frickin curb pants at the ankles cuttin a turd. Not a "big city" but sure turned into a shit hole...can't believe what they are allowing there.

It's amazing when you think about what our Grand-Parents called the "good ole days" in the 40's, then my Parents remark about their "good ole days" in the 50's, and I remark to my kids about "good ole days" in the 60's and early 70's. The kids growing up today, can they possible say now is the "good ole days" in 20 years? I can't imagine.
I'm apparently a little younger than you...

But my grandparents that I knew didn't ever talk about the "good Ole days", mostly hardship and difficulty.

My parents talk about the 60s and early 70s fondly. But not really "the good old days"

I talk fondly about the Austin I knew as a kid, but I hated where we lived. Poor, dirty, lots of violence and tension.

I don't have kids, but I tell my friends kids that are coming of age that they're living in a time that if they're lucky they'll look back on as the best days of their lives.