BIg Game Forever oops

wapitibob

WKR
Always good to know where your money goes.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56998010-90/wildlife-money-wolf-bgf.html.csp

Audit: Contracts for anti-wolf groups didn’t safeguard tax dollars

State wildlife agency gives anti-wolf advocate $300,000 a year.

By Brian Maffly

| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Oct 15 2013 10:17 am • Last Updated Oct 15 2013 10:16 pm

Utah wildlife officials failed to safeguard taxpayer dollars while contracting with private anti-wolf organizations that work to sway federal policy, according to a legislative audit released Tuesday.

The influential hunting group Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and its spinoff Big Game Forever (BGF) have been awarded $800,000 during the past four years to help strip the gray wolf of federal protections.

..It remains unclear how BGF director Ryan Benson spent the $300,000 awarded last year, although nearly two-thirds went to his private business in the form of "consulting fees," according to the new audit.

Some $40,000 was spent on Washington, D.C., lobbyist Tim Rupli; $30,000 on video production, $16,000 on "software" and $11,000 on trade shows.

Particularly troubling to Legislative Auditor General John Schaff was the Department of Natural Resource’s insistence that BGF be paid the full contract amounts each year before completing any work, and that Benson "commingled" the state money with funds from outside sources....

jamaro

FNG
yeah... I don't think there was any oops on this deal... NM has had it's own issues with SFW and so has AZ...

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We all have, SFW Wyoming lost its largest chapter over a lack of transparency with the budget.

cmc

FNG
How is it that this doesn't jeopardize Utah's Pittman-Robertson funding they receive?

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't think that the newspaper is telling the whole story. How gullible are you guys anyway? Do you think that BGF has ruffled feathers and made a few, lots, of enemies. I believe that Ryan Benson is aware of the article and has already responded. Quit jumping to conclusions when you don't have all the infomation.

Here is part of the response: The pro-wolf writer for the SL Tribune is already trying to cherry pick and insinuate that something was done wrong. No huge surprise there. If any requests are adopted, we will comply like we have to this point.

Be part of the solution and not the problem.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am going to respectfully disagree, there is a long list of grievances against SFW/BGF. When i have time i will sit down and type up the things that happened in Wyoming alone last year. We fought tooth and nail against some of their legislative proposals.

I have heard very very few good things about this group... whether this is "cherry picked" or not, the budget and its spending need to be transparent. If this guy is bringing in 200000 for "consulting" from UT, i can only imagine how much he is bringing from other states as well.

I hate wolves as much as the next guy, but taking advantage of concerned hunters and taxpayers is worse than the wolf problem in my opinion

Joe

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hmm, I learned long ago that there's two sides to every pancake. I like to get all the FACTS before I judge!

Hmm, I learned long ago that there's two sides to every pancake. I like to get all the FACTS before I judge!

I agree 100%, there may be a lot more to this story than what is posted.... but as i mentioned, i do not hear lot of good things about this group... that said, many people gripe about the MDF and the RMEF who i strongly feel do a great job.

cant trust anybody hahaha

Joe

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/local/article_f97b12b6-209e-11e3-9bcc-0019bb2963f4.html

Here is an article that explains why the largest chapter in Wyoming left SFW. The actual letter is even more concerning, as soon as i can find it I will post it here as well.

In the last legislative session in Wyoming SFW pushed for a bill that would instate a preference point bill for the state, but.....
The much more negative piece is that the bill would have been coupled with another that bill that would have allowed the transfer of preference points. So essentially my almost 60 year old Dad could apply for points for the next ten years and transfer them to me. Every relative I know could start applying then transfer points....Does that sound like solid management? It sounds like a system that would be full of fraud, take up valuable time that the Game and Fish doesn't have and take up more of their money with a budget short fall.

I know the argument will be made that we shouldn't be divided against each other. However, if any organization is unaccountable for it's money and misleads its membership that is a problem.

dotman

WKR
It is sad that people support a great cause but then take such a large cut of cash, seems to be the American way anymore sadly.

Would Benson do the same job if his fee was reduced to say $25k, my guess is no so if not then it must not be a passion but easy money maker. Just my guess and I could be completely wrong.

True or not until bfg or sfw shows how funds are used like the rmef does I'll continue to donate to groups that do but seems like anymore it is just a way for the rich to get richer and help out their rich buddies in the name of conservation.