Bikini on a MR 6500?

Does anyone know if it would be possible to attach a bikini frame to a 6500 MR bag? The bikini frame looks to be exactly what I want and I would love to try it out but I love my MR bag. The nice frame not so much... I've heard of people doing it to longbows and other MR bags but I would like to see if anyone on here has some more insight? Thanks!

I just ordered a longbow for my bikini frame. Your 6500 and the longbow both use the nice frame. If the longbow fits the Kifaru frame why wouldn't the 6500? I don't know this I am just assuming? Hopefully someone will chime in with first hand knowledge.

The best of both worlds.. I read somewhere of someone doing this. I think it was that massive bikini thread and Aron talked him through it???

Hope someone will chime in.

You could probably do it with a lot of stuffing around but would be ugly & not likely work very well. I gave it a go & abandoned it after about 30 seconds. The stays are built into the 6500 to give rise off the Nice frame so they would make your frame even higher & as I said, ugly. Not worth the hassle I recon.

You could probably do it with a lot of stuffing around but would be ugly & not likely work very well. I gave it a go & abandoned it after about 30 seconds. The stays are built into the 6500 to give rise off the Nice frame so they would make your frame even higher & as I said, ugly. Not worth the hassle I recon.

I agree!

It's a PITA and will take major modifications (cutting/ sewing).

I just ordered a longbow for my bikini frame. Your 6500 and the longbow both use the nice frame. If the longbow fits the Kifaru frame why wouldn't the 6500? I don't know this I am just assuming? Hopefully someone will chime in with first hand knowledge.

Longbow does not have an internal frame/dual load lifter connection points....6500 does.

Longbow does not have an internal frame/dual load lifter connection points....6500 does.

Wouldn't the bikini be higher up than the 6500 internal connection points? I'm 6'3 and it's a few inches short of where I'd like it... I guess ill just have to buy one and play with it and if it doesn't work order a high camp bag.. But hopefully it will work. I was just hoping to find someone with some specific insight because I'm sure someone out there has tried it before me.

Wouldn't the bikini be higher up than the 6500 internal connection points? I'm 6'3 and it's a few inches short of where I'd like it... I guess ill just have to buy one and play with it and if it doesn't work order a high camp bag.. But hopefully it will work. I was just hoping to find someone with some specific insight because I'm sure someone out there has tried it before me.

I'm telling you...DON'T DO IT.

Feel free to call me and I'll go into more details, but you won't be happy if you try it.

Unless you are a very capable sewer i wouldn't try it. Personally it would be better just to try each brand and see what works.

Mtnclimber, Benny M and I played around with the frames and 6500 bag on the weekend, not a real good option unless you heavily modify the bag.

Unless you are a very capable sewer i wouldn't try it. Personally it would be better just to try each brand and see what works.

I definitely wouldn't qualify myself as a capable sower. I would take it to tent and tarp here in anchorage and have them cut and sow the needed modifications, as they have done good work for me in the past. But I'm not looking to 'heavily modify" it. I would buy a high camp bag before i did that.

mtnclimber,

I have a highcamp 7K bag and a bikini frame and a duplex frame with longhunter bag on it if you'd like to see some in person maybe we can meet up. Having used the MR 6500 pack bag for 2 years and hauling out a pile of animals with it, it is a decent layout but I prefer the how you can add and take away pockets on the high camp more so than being stuck with just the two long vertical pockets of the 6500. If you'd like to see some Kifaru pack bags or frames in person let me know.

mtnclimber,

I have a highcamp 7K bag and a bikini frame and a duplex frame with longhunter bag on it if you'd like to see some in person maybe we can meet up. Having used the MR 6500 pack bag for 2 years and hauling out a pile of animals with it, it is a decent layout but I prefer the how you can add and take away pockets on the high camp more so than being stuck with just the two long vertical pockets of the 6500. If you'd like to see some Kifaru pack bags or frames in person let me know.

That'd be awesome luke! I meant to pm you because I'm going to get the bikini high camp 7k or try and fit the bikini to my MR, and you have experience with all that gear. Id love to see one before I made the purchase (never seen a kifaru in person).

Shoot me a PM with your cell and a good time to call and we'll see what we can work out man!

Back