BINO HARNESS HOLSTER EXPERIENCE

JHAYES

FNG
I've read several threads on here regarding the best holsters for a bino harness, but I'm looking for some feedback from someone who has actually carried a sidearm in the muley freak traverse 2.0 bino harness holster. I like the idea and I've played around with it and it's comfortable enough, but I'm worried it's not secure enough. Can anyone give some hands on experience with it?

mthayr

WKR
I don't see anyone flocking to help you with answers to your specific combination so I'll lend you my experience with an FHF/Razco combination. It's doable, but not as ideal as a separate chest holster (think Guides Coice or Kenai) and bino harness. Divorcing the two gives you better stability in both and you don't have to commit to one brand's solution (or janky attachment methods). Just my $0.02 - others may disagree.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've used the marsupial holster setup on their chest rig. It works, but not exactly what would be perfect in my mind. I seem to prefer carrying sidearm on the pack belt, just for comfort. I always have spray and prefer that on my chest all of the time vs the sidearm.

OP
J

JHAYES

FNG
I don't see anyone flocking to help you with answers to your specific combination so I'll lend you my experience with an FHF/Razco combination. It's doable, but not as ideal as a separate chest holster (think Guides Coice or Kenai) and bino harness. Divorcing the two gives you better stability in both and you don't have to commit to one brand's solution (or janky attachment methods). Just my $0.02 - others may disagree.
Thanks for the input! I put on a chest holster the other day to try it out and the grip of the pistol sits right over the range pouch. Being right handed, I want to keep my range finder on the right side for ease of use. Other than that, I liked the idea of a separate chest rig so that even if I didn't have my bino's, i'd have my pistol.

OP
J

JHAYES

FNG
I've used the marsupial holster setup on their chest rig. It works, but not exactly what would be perfect in my mind. I seem to prefer carrying sidearm on the pack belt, just for comfort. I always have spray and prefer that on my chest all of the time vs the sidearm.
Do you have pictures of the marsupial on the muley freak?

mthayr

WKR
Thanks for the input! I put on a chest holster the other day to try it out and the grip of the pistol sits right over the range pouch. Being right handed, I want to keep my range finder on the right side for ease of use. Other than that, I liked the idea of a separate chest rig so that even if I didn't have my bino's, i'd have my pistol.
I keep my rangefinder on my weak side for just that reason, its not that bad. Get range finding binos and you won't have the problem at all ;)

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Do you have pictures of the marsupial on the muley freak?
I have a strong preference for the Maruspial, but have not tried the muley freak harness, so it isn't for performance reasons. I've always thought the muley freak harness was a "me too" product when it launched to slightly alter the original Kuiu approach, so haven't paid much attention to what that system looks like today honestly. AGC/FHF/Marsupial are all "maunfacturers" and not "influencers" so I don't look much past their systems, as they are product focused. That's all pure opinion.

If I was carrying a weapon on my chest rig, I would want a really good actual harness (ie back part) to support that. I would tend to agree with others that separating the systems is probably a good way to get there more comforably.

Other option is look at that Kifaru steelhead, that's got a built-in weapons carry pouch in the back. Depends on your handgun though.

OP
J

JHAYES

FNG
I have a strong preference for the Maruspial, but have not tried the muley freak harness, so it isn't for performance reasons. I've always thought the muley freak harness was a "me too" product when it launched to slightly alter the original Kuiu approach, so haven't paid much attention to what that system looks like today honestly. AGC/FHF/Marsupial are all "maunfacturers" and not "influencers" so I don't look much past their systems, as they are product focused. That's all pure opinion.

If I was carrying a weapon on my chest rig, I would want a really good actual harness (ie back part) to support that. I would tend to agree with others that separating the systems is probably a good way to get there more comforably.

Other option is look at that Kifaru steelhead, that's got a built-in weapons carry pouch in the back. Depends on your handgun though.
I gotcha. My wife bought me the muley freak harness for Christmas and honestly, it is very comfortable and set up well. Had I done some more looking, I probably would've asked for something different, but it's what I have so I don't really want to get another one.

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I have the stone glacier bino harness, rangefinder pouch with a razco. I find drawing to be quite easy in practice.

11boo

WKR
My friend had a similar setup, a kydex holster. We spent 3 hours back tracking to find his pistol.

I use the HPG with a bino pouch attached.

I would highly recommend some sort of retention other than just clicking it into kydex.

Last edited:

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Running ADAK with a razco. Had to do slight customizatioms to make it work, but I find it to be quite efficient and comfortable. I will add that you must take the time to adjust the harness each time you add/subtract layers to ensure a smooth draw. If the harness is loose it can get squirrely with the slack. But the extra couple seconds is part of the gig for safety in G bear country.

OP
J

JHAYES

FNG
My friend had a similar setup, a kydex holster. We spent 3 hours back tracking to find his pistol.

I use the HPG with a bino pouch attached.

I would highly recommend some sort of retention other than just clicking it into kydex.
Definitely not going to trust just the retention! I'm wondering if I can put a rivet type snap on the strap for the holster on my harness to make it more secure than just the velcro.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a FHF harness with a Razco harness. I've only got to use it on a few trips. If I'm hunting, I'm carrying my rifle (not an archery hunter) and forego a sidearm. The hunts I did use it were with folks that I was helping out and not hunting myself.

I found it to be comfortable and could present the handgun smoothly and without issue.

When I'm backpacking outside of hunting season, I rarely carry binoculars and use a Kenai shoulder rig. The Kenai carries the sidearm higher (my preference) on the chest. But putting a bind harness over the top of it would be difficult imho.

FHF/Razco

SSlsPfF.jpg

OP
J

JHAYES

FNG
I keep my rangefinder on my weak side for just that reason, its not that bad. Get range finding binos and you won't have the problem at all ;)
My brother is a Vortex dealer and that's what he told me as well lol

11boo

WKR
Definitely not going to trust just the retention! I'm wondering if I can put a rivet type snap on the strap for the holster on my harness to make it more secure than just the velcro.
Before I got the HPG bag, I carried my pistol on the packbelt. Decent kydex holster with typical kydex retention. Didn’t trust it, so I made kind of a hammer thong out of 1/4” bungee cord.

I rigged the Marsupial holster to my ACG harness.
I don't care for it....the loaded handgun flops a bit while walking and the weight (Sig 365X with full mag) pulls the harness forward on my shoulders and neck.
I don't think a bino harness/holster setup is for me.
$.02.

11boo

WKR
This is what works , for me. I would not want heavy binos and a heavy pistol. Archery, I rarely take the binos. Pistol and odds/ends.
Rifle, no pistol. Binos and stuff.

IMG_3376.jpeg

GoatPackr

WKR
I really don't like the Razco hanging way down getting dragged through the dirt when trying to crawl or shooting prone. This spring I've been running the NW Retention chest rig under my AGC bino harness and am liking it. The NW retention uses wider straps that are much more comfortable than other chest rigs also. So far I'm really liking it even with my pack on. It's also way more protected and less likely to have issues with getting caught in the brush and being left behind unknown.

Kris