Binocular Eyecups - In, Out, or Somewhere In-between?

Binocular Eyecups - In, Out, or Somewhere In-between?

• Total voters

bpurtz

WKR
Just curious what your preference is.

I don't wear glasses, but have always felt that having the eyecups all the way down was more comfortable when I'm glassing.

packer58

WKR
On my field glasses I run the cups all the way out........ On my 15X56's there all the way in setting on a tripod.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Depends on the bino's. The Meopta 15x56's I had, they needed to be about half way between in and all the way out. With other bino's they need to be all the way out.

Im also an inbetweener. Ive tried going all the way down cause ive heard people say the fov is better but i hated it. I just cant keep my head in the right spot and get the black outs on my mavens. I put o-rings behind the eye cups so i can press against my face to help steady and its just been what ive come to prefer.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Just curious what your preference is.

I don't wear glasses, but have always felt that having the eyecups all the way down was more comfortable when I'm glassing.
That's a great question! Most folks that do not wear eyeglasses will run them out either all the way or not quite all the way, but this really depends on face structure and how you hold the binoculars to your eyes. If you run the eyecups right under your brow and have them resting on your face you will need the eyecups ran out in order to get the proper eye relief. If you tend to hold the binoculars a little further away from your face you may find keeping the eyecups all the way in or close to all the way in is better. At the end of the day, it's really finding what works for you!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

All the way in for me, it lets me get the full FOV without touching the bino and also helps reduce the chance of fogging up the ocular lenses.

I love looking at new binos in the store and the sales rep will twist the cups all the way up and then hand them to me; I then twist them all the way back down to look through them. lol

handwerk

WKR
With the way my eyes are set I always have the eyecups out and buried into my eye sockets, doesn't matter if I'm using my old Geovids or new Swaro EL SV's, for me it helps me steady them and not deal with any black outs.
Funny how different we all are.

Q child

WKR
Depends on the eye relief of the optic and where you can place your eyes without getting blackouts and while getting the full field of view. As far as I've ever understood, it isn't up to my preference - it is determined by the requirements of my face, eyes, and optic. It's like small sized t-shirts might be my preference, but I have to wear extra large because those are the shirts that fit.
My NLs are 5/7 clicks out. Ultravids 4/4 out. SLCs 2/3 out. CL Pockets 1/1 out. Monarch 7s all the way in.

Matt G.

WKR
When hand holding, they are usually almost all way out and keeps them more steady. When glassing on tripod, they are all the way in for the best FOV. When cold out, I will keep them closer in so there air flow between to keep lens from fogging.

smg

FNG
I'm not able to have a clear FOV and can never stay in the sweet spot when the cups are fully in. I wonder how much of our preference has to do with facial features?

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I have 20/20 vision and run my EL's on one click out. All the way in also works fine but stopped because I got sweat and sunscreen from my eyebrows on the lenses.