Binos w/built in rangefinder. Pros and Cons

kbaker9

FNG
I have a pair of Zeiss 10x42 Rangefinding binos I picked up last year. Kind of on the fence of selling and getting a pair of binos and a rangefinder. What do you guys like to use, I'm afraid the Rangefinding technology will get old/phased out. I'm in the Midwest, but would like to do some out west/mountain hunting at some point.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I use my bins for more than hunting, so about one out of a thousand times I put them to my eyes, I would like to have a rangefinder. I'll pack a separate rangefinder and replace it when the tech improves or it no longer functions. I'll bet my bins are still useful in 20 years but if there was a rangefinder built in I don't think they would be.

OP
K

kbaker9

FNG
That's my thought. Electronics are always phased out or unsupported in time, binos with good care should last forever.

handwerk

WKR
I've been using either Geovids or EL Ranges for the last 12 years. I have other nice binos for non hunting use but when it comes to hunting with my rifles I will always have BRF.
BTW I've never had an issue with any of them after many years of hard use.

nobody

WKR
Personally, I'll never own a bino and rangefinder combo. Electronics go bad, become obsolete, etc. Eventually they fry, and with the exception of Vortex and Maven, there isn't a single company out there who will warranty the electronics beyond 5 years, most are only a year. When the electronics go bad, you're just left with an ergonomically inferior pair of binos and you STILL end up buying a new rangefinder anyways, or another pair of expensive rangefinding binos.

Look at it this way:

Setup #1:
Zeiss Victory RF 10x42: $3,699.99 (from our friend Doug at CameralandNY)
After 7 or 8 years, they crap out. Here's an excerpt from Zeiss themselves and their warranty policy for US and Canada: "The warranty protects against defects in workmanship and materials in the optical system for the life of the product, and in electronic components for five years from the date of purchase. "
So now, you have some heavy rangefinding binos that don't do 50% of the function they were designed to perform, and you end up buying a new rangefinder or another pair of rangefinding binos for the same money as the first time. Your alpha glass just became disposable.

Setup #2:
Zeiss Victory SF 10x42: $2,899.99 from Doug
Sig Kilo 5K: $699.99 from Doug
Total Investment: $3,599.98 ($100 less on initial investment)

Sig dies after a few years, no more warranty because it's beyond their window. But your binos are still as relevant as they have ever been, so you just plunk down another $700 for another rangefinder and keep hunting.

Yes, you can use the RF binos after the RF dies, but once it's dead it's become $800 of blown cash that you'll have to blow again anyways.

OP
K

kbaker9

FNG
Personally, I'll never own a bino and rangefinder combo. Electronics go bad, become obsolete, etc. Eventually they fry, and with the exception of Vortex and Maven, there isn't a single company out there who will warranty the electronics beyond 5 years, most are only a year. When the electronics go bad, you're just left with an ergonomically inferior pair of binos and you STILL end up buying a new rangefinder anyways, or another pair of expensive rangefinding binos.

Look at it this way:

Setup #1:
After 7 or 8 years, they crap out. Here's an excerpt from Zeiss themselves and their warranty policy for US and Canada: "The warranty protects against defects in workmanship and materials in the optical system for the life of the product, and in electronic components for five years from the date of purchase. "
So now, you have some heavy rangefinding binos that don't do 50% of the function they were designed to perform, and you end up buying a new rangefinder or another pair of rangefinding binos for the same money as the first time. Your alpha glass just became disposable.

Setup #2:

Sig dies after a few years, no more warranty because it's beyond their window. But your binos are still as relevant as they have ever been, so you just plunk down another $700 for another rangefinder and keep hunting.

Yes, you can use the RF binos after the RF dies, but once it's dead it's become $800 of blown cash that you'll have to blow again anyways.
That's a great perspective, definitely makes me think about having separate pieces.

Pros, effortless one-press ranging available in your observation device.
Cons, a top of the line binocular from 2002 is still a much better than average binocular today. A Rangefinder from 2002 is either hopelessly outdated or a paperweight.

If you're guiding people or cycle your gear often? I'd take the BRF every time.

Leica has a 10 year warranty on the rangefinder portion and 30 years on the binocular portion. So here seem to think that the manufactures will not fix the rangefinder portion (at owners expense, after the warranty expires.

Vortex has a lifetime warranty are their rangefinder binoculars.

OP
K

kbaker9

FNG
Pros, effortless one-press ranging available in your observation device.
Cons, a top of the line binocular from 2002 is still a much better than average binocular today. A Rangefinder from 2002 is either hopelessly outdated or a paperweight.

If you're guiding people or cycle your gear often? I'd take the BRF every time.
Definitely not a guide and don't plan on cycling out gear often.

rootacres

WKR
I live in the midwest and spend most of my hunting time bowhunting whitetail. I own some Leica Geovid rangefinding binos. I have no plans to get rid of them. The glass quality is superior to almost everything out there, much like your Zeiss. When I am out west the glass quality really starts to show. On my solo coues hunt last year, when I identified a buck, hit the button for a range, dialed and shot only a few seconds had gone by. I didn't have a timer on it, but it was extremely quick. Had I needed to pull out a rangefinder to get a range I am not sure I would have been successful on that hunt. . 3600 miles driven, 10 days off, thousands of $$$ spent and I believe the most valuable tool I brought with me was those Leica's.

I know it's a lot of money sitting in one spot but you only have to buy them once. When bowhunting I still carry a handheld rangefinder. It's easier/faster to pull that thing out with one hand, range something and draw, then trying to range something through 10x binos. Most decent rangefinder's that are plenty capable for midwest bowhunting can be had for sub $350. Not too bad compared to the $2k+ price tag these binos have. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
I initially really wanted to try the new Leica RF binos in 8x32, but I frankly don't need nearly the tech being built into these things - nor do I want to pay for stuff I won't use. If I was going to drop money on alpha binos, I'm looking for the best glass I can get, not "very good" glass plus an extra grand for electronics. I can definitely see the utility of it for some, but not for me.

Shraggs

WKR

Look at it this way:

Setup #1:

Setup #2:

So you’re saying it’s a fact they’ll fail - you have evidence of this ?

Shraggs

WKR
I have and use both systems. Archery or deer hunting in a stationary setup definitely have a hand held rf and separate bino.

Archery spot and stalk for elk one hand rf to too sbd seperste bino.

Spot and stalk deer and elk an rf bino combo for me is a better solution.

nobody

WKR
So you’re saying it’s a fact they’ll fail - you have evidence of this ?
Yes, eventually electronics fail. And if they don’t, they eventually become obsolete. As someone said above, alpha glass from 2005 is as good as it gets still and is still considered top of the line. But I doubt anybody would consider their rangefinder from 2005 to be as good as a modern rf unit, and in many cases, a model from 2005 that was top-of-the-line when it came out performs worse than an entry-level unit of today. All I’m getting out is that technology in electronics is advancing much faster than technology in glass, which is why I will never spend money on Alpha glass with an electronic element that has a finite life span. I know lots of guys do it and it works for them, and that’s great. I just shared the reason why I will never do it nor will I ever recommend that anybody else does it. But I acknowledge that lots of guys do it with success.

Shraggs

WKR
Yea np you do you.

My rf for archery is 18 years old. Just trying to understand how you can say this with such conviction and not post some objective support

nobody

WKR
Obsolete is very different than non-functional. I’m talking about obsolescence, that’s my main concern. My dad also still has a rangefinder from the early 2000s that technically functions, but it’s a 600 yard rangefinder that does good to get 400 yards on a good day in good lighting. It does everything it was designed to do back in 2002, but by today’s standards, it is 100% obsolete, without question. It still functions, and it functions exactly like it did back in the day, but for less money than he spent on that unit it’s possible to get one that is much higher performing in today’s world. Something can be obsolete but still function as designed, and that’s what I would worry about with a rangefinding bino.

As I always say, I’m just some random guy on the internet.