Bipod Needed?

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I have an upcoming Aoudad hunt and trying to decide if a bipod is needed? If so, what height seems to be best? Thoughts or advice appreciated.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In general some folks say they hardly ever can get prone hunting in general, personally I get prone most of the time so my opinion is yes. In this case it sorta depends on the variant of Barbary you're after, the unpressured ones that will just look at you and let you get somewhat close or the pressured ones that want nothing to do with you, the latter you may have to take some further shots. I'd be ready for the further shot but that's just me. The ones I've taken have been 300-400yds.

4JRanch

FNG
i shot plenty of deer in my life and shot one prone for the first time this year. was a cool experience. I also carry bog death grip when walking/stalking. I have a magpul polymer bipod

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a bipod on my aoudad hunt and never used it, I shit off my backpack laid over the rocks.

When I go again, I might get set up with a javelin bipod just in case but the Harris I was lugging around never got used and it’s bulky.

TN2shot07

WKR
I would think in that situation something like a hatch, mtn gear or a Spartan with their new pro legs would be better than a standard height bipod

Absolutely recommend a bipod. My shot was around 400yds off a 100+ft bluff. They will see you from a long long ways off. I used an Atlas on that hunt but since have a purchased and use an MDT. Lots of bipods to choose from. Find what works for you.

nh85

FNG
Depends on expected shot distances, if like 300 to 400 yards and under over a pack is just fine

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot mostly from prone when hunting and say if you carry a no center column tripod, then no, no bipod needed. I shot for years of a bipod and then put arca on all my setups and haven't looked back. (my best long range groups are all from prone with tripod.) All my bipods live a lonely existence in the shed now. (you can load and shoot a tripod off of 2 legs if you prefer, i don't tend to though. just practice with it first. also, making and attaching, or bedding your own arca rail is fairly easy and cheap in a lot of stocks.)

pirogue

WKR
If you don’t want to lay down to shoot, look at Spartan Precision bipod from HappyAntelope.com. 19”-42” legs, pans, extremely light, minimal profile, quickly attaches and detaches. Can attach to the sling swivel threads if you don’t want the bulk and weight associated with a picatinny setup.

SDHNTR

WKR
I shot one a week ago at 427 yards and was certainly glad to have my bipod. I use a Hatch, which I have a love hate relationship with. It’s very versatile and does what most bipods won’t, but it is poorly designed, imo. The only other option that’s as capable is $1000! That’s just dumb.

I shot one a week ago at 427 yards and was certainly glad to have my bipod. I use a Hatch, which I have a love hate relationship with. It’s very versatile and does what most bipods won’t, but it is poorly designed, imo. The only other option that’s as capable is $1000! That’s just dumb.
I have same love hate with mine. lol

bmart2622

WKR
If you don’t want to lay down to shoot, look at Spartan Precision bipod from HappyAntelope.com. 19”-42” legs, pans, extremely light, minimal profile, quickly attaches and detaches. Can attach to the sling swivel threads if you don’t want the bulk and weight associated with a picatinny setup.
Is the Springbok the one you are talking about?