Bipod or Hunting Pack

Contemplating whether or not to buy a lightweight bipod for my mountain hunting rifle. Have always just shot off of my pack. Seems to work, just wondering if I'm missing anything by not having a bipod in my pack.

199p

FNG
I always carry a bipod with me, had it a few times shooting off a stump of fallen tree and used my pack upright as a rear rest to get a stable shot.
the more options you have the better. Takes up very little room and weighs 150g or something crazy.

I find that it adds options for field shooting that the pack alone doesn't provide - height options, speed options, a bit better stealth, and also some extra versatility in shooting from some lesser appreciated surfaces. The Spartan system is particularly well thought-out, especially given how lightweight and versatile it is. Most of the experienced hunters and shooters I've met who don't care for it seem to be more PRS types, who have more complex bipods they're used to and arca-swiss rail systems for their tripods, both of which have some advantages over the Spartan system. But the Spartan just hits the sweet-spot for me across the board for the hunting I do. Especially when used as a system, and with keeping things as light as I can.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
A bipod should give you more options than just a pack, but if I only could upgrade to one thing it would be shooting sticks, I also prefer the Wiser Precision connectors with trekking poles.

A bipod should give you more options than just a pack, but if I only could upgrade to one thing it would be shooting sticks, I also prefer the Wiser Precision connectors with trekking poles.
My kids and I trained with packs, Magpul bipods and the wiser quick sticks. I like all the options but I want to cut weight.

I mostly hunt blacktails in the nw cascades and occasionally have longer shot opportunities. Because of this I packed a bipod on my rifle for many years but never was able to use it. A couple years ago I quit packing the bipod… I’ve shot 4 bucks off my trekking poles. The terrain and brush just don’t allow for bipod use where I hunt. If you hunt in a place where a bipod is practical I’d bring it. It’s a very effective tool if you have the opportunity to use it.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
My kids and I trained with packs, Magpul bipods and the wiser quick sticks. I like all the options but I want to cut weight.
If you want to save weight then just shoot off the pack, but everythings a trade off.
Those Magpul bipods are some of the lightest out there for the money, but bipods are only a little advantage over a pack. Shooting sticks are the most versatile and there are some UL options that are under a pound and cheap too. Not very adjustable though like the Wiser option.

OP
Phlatlander218
Sounds like the Wiser Precision is liked by many. Will they allow you to shoot in a prone position?

TetonRecon

Lil-Rokslider
Bipod or tripod for me. I realize most people aren't shooting long range off their packs, but it's amazing how much more accurate I am off the bipod vs pack out to like 800 yards.

I carry trekking poles with the Wiser Precision connector. Works really well for me and reduces gear carried.
I have this as well as a spartan bipod that I carry under my bino harness in a carrier with molle straps. Comes right out easily and magnetically attaches to the rifle. So easy and convenient. Use my pack too. Just nice to have as many tools as you can. I will say, I am pretty solid off the bipod and pack, but still have work to do with the Wiser precision setup.

Sounds like the Wiser Precision is liked by many. Will they allow you to shoot in a prone position?
It depends how low you attach them to your trekking poles. I could see it working but you would lose some top end height. For prone I prefer my short bipod or the pack/pack lid.

OP
Phlatlander218
It depends how low you attach them to your trekking poles. I could see it working but you would lose some top end height. For prone I prefer my short bipod or the pack/pack lid.
Ok, that makes sense. So, I guess I will save up some money and buy all the options!

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I havent tried but I know the bottom sections of trekking poles are smaller diameter so Im not certain the Wiser adapter would work that low to truly go prone with them.
I know I intentionally bought 3pc trekking poles for my setup to have the most height adjustability, but if it comes to actually going prone in the field I would probably just go over my pack or hope I had my bipod attached that day.

I just know as someone mentioned above I rarely go prone due to ground vegetation where shooting sticks are just right sitting or kneeling.

Last edited:

azwccc

FNG
I havent tried but I know the bottom sections of trekking poles are smaller diameter so Im not certain the Wiser adapter would work that low to truly go prone with them.
I know I intentionally bought 3pc trekking poles for my setup to have the most height adjustability, but if it comes to actually going prone in the field I would probably just go over my pack or hope I had my bipod attached that day.

I just know as someone mentioned above I rarely go prone due to ground vegetation where shooting sticks are just right sitting or kneeling.

I am trying to switch from prone to sitting/kneeling, and debating whether I should get a long bipod or tripod.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to switch from prone to sitting/kneeling, and debating whether I should get a long bipod or tripod.
Im not familiar with using a tripod, they seem ideal for very long glassing sessions but a lot more weight to carry around if on foot.
The Wiser adapters probably have more versatility in height than long bipods, and the trekking poles for me are essential for packing out meat its nice they can double for shooting sticks.