Bipod Needed?

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
While I have never used one, I would love to try a Rokstedi… just can’t justify the cost

For aoudad in open country, a bipod is worth having. I prefer the Javelin bipod with a flush cup adaptor installed on my rifles. I hardly ever use it in the field, but if I have time and a spot to go prone, it rocks. Trekking poles with Wiser Precision's Quick-StiX trekking pole adaptors is another versatile option that works in more scenarios. These are the only solutions I'd recommend.

Good luck on your hunt. Aoudad are my favorite big-game animals to chase.

Ralphie

WKR
I shoot the majority of my animals from prone. I carry a Spartan bipod and use it or my pack. Some times it’s a throw my pack on the ground and shoot off it quick. If I have time I’ll get the bipod out. I also like the bipod for when I’m crawling during a stalk. Dragging a pack to shoot off of during that is a pain.
I would and did take a bipod on an aoudad hunt.

I really like the Spartan bipod. It does not throw off the balance of my rifle and it’s quick to install when I want to use it.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I have an upcoming Aoudad hunt and trying to decide if a bipod is needed? If so, what height seems to be best? Thoughts or advice appreciated.
Whats "needed" is always going to be subjective, but in my experience its more a matter of if I might need to shoot past ~150yds Im going to want to stabilize my rifle with something. Ask yourself what are the ranges you might be expected to shoot and if you can do that offhand, if not... you -will- need something to stabilize your shot.

A bipod is just one option, the advantage is its fastest to deploy being attached to the rifle, disadvantage is it adds weight and bulk to the rifle. From the prone position its a very stable option. Height is a personal preference, the lowest setting should comfortably put the rifle horizontal to your prone position, the tallest setting should be at least tall enough to get over shorter ground vegetation like grass. The tradeoff is the taller the bipod the heavier and bulkier. IMO a basic bipod should extend at least 12 to 14in tall.

Another option are shooting sticks. The advantage is a lot more shooting heights and configurations to get over grasses to taller brush. The disadvantage is it wont be useful prone (if thats the best option at the moment), they take slightly longer to deploy depending on how you carry them. Weight isn't an issue to me as there are some very UL options that work very well.....

IMO, I use both. If its a hunt tag thats hard to get, guided, etc. I would get both, at least a basic light weight bipod and UL shooting sticks.

Brands:
A basic affordable budget bipod that works I like are from Magpul. $75-$130 and they are great to trickle down to other rifles in your quiver when you find a more expensive brand you like better, but they just work and are very light weight. Don't get the one that doesn't pan left or right.
Harris Bipods are nice. Cost a little more. They are heavy and bulky with lots of snag points, mine is not comfortable to shoulder the rifle with. But they work solid and probably will never break.
A fancy high end expensive bipod.... I haven't purchased yet but plan to after I recover from my Christmas shopping. I recently discovered, what should be a very UL bipod thats fully functional: Backlandz Bipods. Made in New Zeland but they sell them in the US. A full featured bipod that extends to 18in that only weights 6.5oz is one I need to try.

Shooting sticks:
Cabelas brand Kwik Stik are super cheap. They fold up small and only weigh 6oz and work. I have one in my quiver for the very UL stalks to day hunts.

Trekking poles with the Wiser Precision adapter. I use these and they work solid. Recommend a 3pc trekking pole set to collapse the shortest, and strap on the pack. Slow to get off the pack but a very solid shooting platform once deployed. The bonus is trekking poles are invaluable if hauling heavy meat loads out on the backpack.

OP
SCHUNTER73

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the thoughtful response. We have decided to roll with a quick detach bipod and also carry some sticks. We are both comfortable with the sticks and will be practicing off the bipod and backpack Starting this week.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use bipods all the time on just about all of my rifles but have since went back to shooting off the pack I use an eberlestock pack mounted rest and find it to be in most instances better when shooting prone or sitting the pack allows you to drape it over or across whatever rocks logs ect ect you might use as a rest and the eberlestock rest cradles the gun but still allows you to pan if needed its quiet nothing can fail and it weighs next to nothing. I took my deer at 410 last year off of it prone and this year my bear at 280 using it across a downed tree it has worked great. Your going to probably take the pack off for any prone shots as it is so why not use it to your advantage is how I look at it.