bird dog caught in snare

What about when one use of public land endangers others or their hunting partner?

What if I say your bird hunting endangers me while I'm out using public land to bird watch??? Or it endangers me while I'm trying to get instafamous taking selfies with the wildlife? Should we ban bird hunting then?

Keep your dog close, and have your dog well trained. Most situations even if a dog gets into a snare it will be fine if you are remotely close. Power snare may be a different story if you aren't handy with undoing them.

I've seen numerous areas where trappers have posted signs at the entrance to public land here in Nebraska. . . And people still get upset if their dog gets in a trap. At that point you're at fault as well.

Good advice on carrying some light weight cable snips. Also, if your dog ever steps in a foot hold, throw something over its head while you release it. Dogs can do strange things when they are suddenly restrained by a foot instead of a collar!

Banning isnt the answer, education on both sides is. I can buy a dozen snares for the price of 1 foothold trap. I can probably buy 15+ dozen for the cost of 1 good cage trap. I'd say unintentional catches are fairly low with snares. They so happen but not at a high rate!

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I trap and also have a bird dog (retriever) so I see both sides. There's irresponsible trappers and irresponsible dog owners. However, most of the trap/dog encounters I hear about though is dog owners letting their untrained mut run free on a hike when technically (according to the law) they should be on a leash. It's a slippery slope banning one user group due to "impact" on another. What happens when a hunter shoots a dog because they think it's a wolf/coyote? Or when someones hunting dog attacks a hiker and/or their dog? Would you then support a hunting ban on public land?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thats assuming you can get to your pup before he is strangled.

Imagine he went in the brush after a bird and next thing you know, you're pulling his body out of a snare, obviously not being able to see what happened or get to him in time.
If you've leash trained your dog he'll be sitting there waiting on you. How about we ban hunters wanting to shut down other legal activities because they disagree with them? Wolves eat dogs. All. The. Time. The antis want signs put up next to each trap, that way they can steal them or mess with them. How far you letting your bird dog get from you anyways? You ain't shooting birds with a 300RUM.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
However, most of the trap/dog encounters I hear about though is dog owners letting their untrained mut run free on a hike when technically (according to the law) they should be on a leash.
Devils advocate here, but your claim about leashes is inaccurate...this is from the BLM website and the same goes for most NFs as well, unless otherwise posted
  • "While leashes are not required on all trials, you should keep your dog close and under control when passing children, horses or other dogs. Please check the trail website or call the local BLM field office for leash policy."

I had my weimer get caught in a spring trap about 6 yrs ago. She was definitely calmer than I was. Messed her leg up pretty good. I remember being pissed as I carried her back to the truck. I was over it the next day. No need to ban it just be aware and ready if it ever happens. We hunted plenty of birds in that same area for years after that.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Snares are required to have deer stops or breakaway devices on them in case a deer/elk/moose gets in one. If proper scouting is done ahead of time then it's a non issue, snares aren't set where those animals are going to be encountered. I've talked to the outfitters and houndsmen in my area, they know there are traps and snares out. Snares keep working in the snow, footholds are much harder to keep working once snow gets deep and freeze thaw gets going. They are thankful that wolves are being managed, they're tired of losing dogs to wolves.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I dont think so. Any dog properly trained should sit as soon as they feel pressure and you have time to walk up and release the snare. I always carry cable cutters when hunting late season and know how to work traps
100 percent even a poorly trained dog that’s been on a leash at all shouldn’t fight the snare. The dog should not get hurt much less choke himself out. I trap and have both hunting hounds and a bird dog. Snares are a lot less dangerous to my dogs then the wolves they are designed to trap. I’m a lot more uncomfortable hunting my dogs around wolves than I am snares. What if the trappers think we should ban hunting dogs since they are messing up their trap sets? We can all work around each other I think

johnsd16

WKR
Clueless post by the OP. If you know so little about something don’t post. Simple as that. The snares don’t ratchet down themselves, the animal has to pull. Snares kill by cutting off blood flow, so it has to cinch down tight enough to cut off the carotids to kill quickly. Until it is cinched down real tight you can back it off with your fingers. A linesman’s pliers or cable cutter will have it off with one snip as well. Coyote and wolf pups often times won’t even pull hard enough to choke down (firsthand experience with coyotes and ID wolf trapping instructor quote on wolves). If you’re bird dog is so far away and you can’t tend to them for hours or even just several minutes then something is amiss. SMH. It’s one thing to be clueless about elk hunting and ask silly questions, been there, done that myself loads of times, but to open the can of worms on a discussion eliminating another consumptive outdoor activity when so many are already under attack, is sad. Especially one that very positively impacts big game populations.

As others have said, outdoor sportsman need to stick together. Hands down the most efficient way to catch and kill coyotes and wolves is snares (unless we can start using M44s).

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Clueless post by the OP. If you know so little about something don’t post. Simple as that. The snares don’t ratchet down themselves, the animal has to pull. Snares kill by cutting off blood flow, so it has to cinch down tight enough to cut off the carotids to kill quickly. Until it is cinched down real tight you can back it off with your fingers. A linesman’s pliers or cable cutter will have it off with one snip as well. Coyote and wolf pups often times won’t even pull hard enough to choke down (firsthand experience with coyotes and ID wolf trapping instructor quote on wolves). If you’re bird dog is so far away and you can’t tend to them for hours or even just several minutes then something is amiss. SMH. It’s one thing to be clueless about elk hunting and ask silly questions, been there, done that myself loads of times, but to open the can of worms on a discussion eliminating another consumptive outdoor activity when so many are already under attack, is sad. Especially one that very positively impacts big game populations.

As others have said, outdoor sportsman need to stick together. Hands down the most efficient way to catch and kill coyotes and wolves is snares (unless we can start using M44s).
How mad are you that someone asked a question and for a debate? Are you incapable of having a diacussion on a topic, to discuss facts, opinions and get experiences from those who have valuable opinions to share, on both sides?

If so, move along.

johnsd16

WKR
How mad are you that someone asked a question and for a debate? Are you incapable of having a diacussion on a topic, to discuss facts, opinions and get experiences from those who have valuable opinions to share, on both sides?

If so, move along.
Thanks for the tip hotrod, but I very quickly determined your opinion not valuable because of how woefully uninformed it is.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks for the tip hotrod, but I very quickly determined your opinion not valuable because of how woefully uninformed it is.
I never offered an opinion, genius. I asked for others opinion.

OMB

WKR
Imagine having your dog killed by wolves.
Bingo. In northern Wisconsin, in the group I bird hunt, we've had several negative encounters with wolves, one near fatal on a dog, in the last 10 years. Zero with traps, and we hunt trapped areas during late season.

I don't want to paint with too broad of brush, but scrolling the guy's page sure seems like he falls into that weird new lefty upland hunter niche on Instagram. Happy you're hunting man, but drop the holier than thou BS that's chipping away at the rest of our way of life.

MattB

WKR
What about when one use of public land endangers others or their hunting partner?
Like if a hunter accidentally shoots another person. Should we ban hunting in public land?

What if the non-hunting majority just feels threatened sharing public land with hunters?

BuzzH

WKR
Hunters aren't killed by other hunters while hunting every year?

Possible solution is to keep bird seasons reasonable length and out of the time frame of the best trapping season. Most bird seasons in a lot of states are way too long and run from September through December and even into Jan/Feb in some cases.

IMO, either bird hunters need to learn how to release their dogs or assume the risk. Unreasonable to expect trappers to stay out of the field until you're done with your 4-6 month bird seasons.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Hunters aren't killed by other hunters while hunting every year?
Come on Buzz...you can Google, tell me what happened to the ML hunter who shot the bowhunter.

There are penalties for stuff like that, let's not pretend there aren't.

Marble

WKR
I remember reading in the thread that dealt with the wearing of orange for bowhunters, someone mentioning that you cannot create enough laws to make hunting completely fair and safe. Their is an inherent risk in it no matter how careful you are or what laws are passed.

I see no need to ban anything trapping related.

The most dangerous thing we face hunting still remains other hunters in general or just your (as in any of us) own poor judgment.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk