Bird nesting problem

tony

WKR
Get your cat a headlamp. Give him a boost up there and sweep up the feathers.

You do have a cat and spare headlamp right? :D

OP
H
Get your cat a headlamp. Give him a boost up there and sweep up the feathers.

You do have a cat and spare headlamp right? :D

Ha! I have way too many headlamps and only 1 cat that is sadly an indoor cat. My first thought was to let her loose back there but my wife would worry too much and the cat is always sitting at the door waiting to get back in any time she gets stuck outside. She's not learned to be useful.

OP
H
I tried some window screen cut to shape but had to tape the upper part to the roof. It didn't hold well enough.

I will try either some chicken wire or spray foam. I'll see if spray foam will fill the gaps on my spike strips. If not, I'll remove them and try something else.

Jbxl20

WKR
I do wildlife and bird control. I would Get a roll of aluminum flashing from Lowe’s make a cardboard template, trace and cut it out to fill the gaps.

tony

WKR
Yeah a god Tom cat that will just lay around will keep them away I‘D bet.
We had 3 males at one time indoor/outdoor and they slayed anothing and everything. Birds, mice, rabbits, snakes. One would lay out in the yard and dig up moles. Killed them but wouldn’t eat them.

How far back do those space run? What about a roll of insulation cut to fit and stuffed back in there? keep the birds out

Stalker69

WKR
Yep, make a templet and make a sheet metal flashing. Should he a pretty easy fix, unless the roof is realy long. If you know a guy that does hvac he could get you a roll of sheet metal. Or may have scrap.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Wrens, house finches and fly catchers are notorious for liking to build nests in/around human structures.

Stalker69

WKR
Yeah a god Tom cat that will just lay around will keep them away I‘D bet.
We had 3 males at one time indoor/outdoor and they slayed anothing and everything. Birds, mice, rabbits, snakes. One would lay out in the yard and dig up moles. Killed them but wouldn’t eat them.

How far back do those space run? What about a roll of insulation cut to fit and stuffed back in there? keep the birds out
Birds and squirrels will use it for nesting material..

Randle

WKR
I run (can I use that term here) fishing line the length of my eaves . they fly into it , dont like that, then go somewhere else
It has worked well for me

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
We have a ton of birds at our place. Sparrows, gold finches, bluebirds,... Sparrows like to nest behind the shutters. Fixed that by taking landscape paper (base for mulch) wrapping it tight, then taking the "roll" and wedging it in between the wall and shutters. Works pretty good.

That being said, I hate, hate, hate, double hate, loathe entirely robins. Those little bastards sit all over my hot tub, deck, deck railing and sh!t. And sh!t, and sh!t some more....

I do wildlife and bird control. I would Get a roll of aluminum flashing from Lowe’s make a cardboard template, trace and cut it out to fill the gaps.
What jbxl20 wrote ^^. Use a little spray insulation foam, the stuff for doors and windows that doesn’t expand rapidly (OSI, Hilti) to tack glue the aluminum cut out into place. Plastic owls, snakes, tin balloons and the like only work temporarily. I get a lot of work repairing and fixing bird damage to buildings.

Last edited: