Bivy or Bug Net?

I'm looking into a bivy or bathtub style bug net for use in a pyramid tent or under a tarp. Obviously, both will work just fine since I'll more than likely have something overhead, but what is your preference, and why?

Assuming that neither will ever be used as a stand alone shelter, would you prefer to have more room and go with the bug net, or save a little weight and go with the bivy?

Any recommendations on a bivy that would be used without some sort of shelter? Is the eVent material the way to go, or will pretty much any bivy (Borah included) suffice?

I use a bivy in my pyramid and a two-person nest in my tipi. All of my mid/bivy use is up in the mountains were bugs are rarely an issue but, I suppose if I was going to be using the mid and bugs were definitely going to be a problem, I would either use my two-person nest or look into purchasing a bug shelter that's specifically made for my mid.

I split the difference and use a borah bug bivy under my tarps. I only use it stand alone during the summer when I know it won't rain, obviously.

If I were limited to your options, I'd choose the bivy for weight's sake.

How does the Pyranet fit? I got the 2 man nest for my Ciamrron and its just too big and heavy. I was looking at the pyranet. Could you post a pic of it in the Cimarron? thanks

my indecisiveness landed me on the 2nd shipment of cimarrons so i dont have it yet. I have a scouting trip planned the end of may so i ordered the tent and nest at the same time rather than waiting till i had the tent. As soon as its here i will post pictures of the 2 together. I ordered the solo pyranet and had it widened slightly and had a reverse t zipper installed. since its made with the non zipper side sloped it should snug right up against the wall of the tent and leave plenty of room.

Back