Black Hills Vacation

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Headed to Black Hills/Badlands on vacation in June.

Plan to do plenty of hiking, sight seeing etc. wouldn't mind to try some fishing as well for some trout or whatever

Can anyone with experience in the area Private Message me some streams to wet a line in, I would be C&R prefer trout. I have seen a few youtube videos but no one really names the streams lol Just looking for somewhere me and the kids can catch a few and maybe get some good pictures

(and yes i will be scouting for future hunting trips in the blackhills, but don't tell my wife hahaha!!!)

Sorry, cant give you much stream info, but I did grow up there(Sturgis). All the lakes are stocked though and offer decent fly fishing. Of course rapid creek, spearfish creek, several other well known places hold fish, no secrets being told here. I wish I could help more but I am not much of a fly fisherman.

You will have fun. No elk hunting for non residents in SD, but there is opportunity in the hills for limited draw deer tags and archery deer. They are looking at changing up the NR regs for black hills hunting though. Honestly I have always loved hunting the prairie for deer, although I have taken deer out of the hills.

I've spent significant time at a little lake known as Bikini Beach at the Buffalo Chip. They have really tasty Busch Light that never disappoints.

In all honesty, the majority of time I've spent in that area was either riding motorcycles or skiing. One of the only hikes I've done is hippie hole. We had a local friend show us the way but you could probably find something on the internet in this day and age. About a mile hike that is pretty easy to a pretty cool cliff jumping/swimming hole. Enjoy your trip and wish I could help ya out, I've always had a great time while visiting that area!

jmez

WKR
Rapid Creek and Spearfish Creek are the two best bets. Great fishing in both. Spearfish Creek in Spearfish Canyon is really prettty and a neat place to fish.

You need to contact Dakota Angler, link below. These guys are very helpful and will tell you what is biting and where. Great resource. A lot of information on their web page.

http://www.flyfishsd.com/

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I've spent significant time at a little lake known as Bikini Beach at the Buffalo Chip. They have really tasty Busch Light that never disappoints.

In all honesty, the majority of time I've spent in that area was either riding motorcycles or skiing. One of the only hikes I've done is hippie hole. We had a local friend show us the way but you could probably find something on the internet in this day and age. About a mile hike that is pretty easy to a pretty cool cliff jumping/swimming hole. Enjoy your trip and wish I could help ya out, I've always had a great time while visiting that area!

you would be correct, severl youtube videos about hippy hole etc. how to get there and stuff

HoytHntr4

WKR
We’re taking the same trip June 28th-July 3rd. I’ve been reading into some places to do some fly fishing as well, and Rapid creek as well as spearfish seem to be a common recommendation I’m finding. Dakota angler and Spearfish creek fly shop might be a good place to give a call around that time to see what flys are working. Hoping to do some mule deer scouting as well if I can talk the wife into going to a “drive” to the north of the hills and maybe into SE Montana as well

HunterEng

FNG
When I was in college their....there used to be a fly fishing shop in downtown rapid....I got most of my tips where to head talking to those guys....not sure if it is still there or not

bruno59

WKR
If want to do a nice hike start at sylvan lake and hike to cathedral spires then from there to Black elk peak(Harney peak) it is the highest peak east of the rockies nice views up top around 8 mile loop