black hills whitetail doe question

RCB

WKR
I'm probably going to head up to the black hills to hunt for a whitetail doe this November. I'm a pretty new hunter, and this would be my first time hunting whitetail (have hunted mule deer a few times). My question is, given that they are on mountainous national forest land, can I hunt black hills whitetail similar to how one hunts mule deer in the west? Usually when I think of whitetail I think of stand hunting or still hunting in creek bottoms, which I've never really done. Whereas, with mule deer, I think about finding topography + broken-up vegetation, and glassing from ridges. It seems like there are a lot of good glassing areas in the black hills, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this in the right way. Any help would be appreciated.

There are whitetails everywhere out there. You can definitely hunt them like you have hunted mule deer in the past. You may run into some mule deer, but generally within a ridge you will find some whitetails. 80% whitetail out there probably. I’ve hunted them glassing, still hunting, stand hunting, etc. do what you want and make it fun. The black hills is one of my favorites places to hunt.

Reactions: RCB
I hunt whitetails in similar country to the black hills and I use what might be described as a combination of
western and eastern tactics. I hike around, spot and stock, still hunt likely areas, and try to find general areas deer are using and get a deer that way if I can. If I find a good spot with deer traffic and decent visibility I like to sit and watch it for a while, I just sit on the ground leaning against a tree, not a tree stand or blind.

I’ve killed deer both while walking and while sitting. Late in the season sitting has been really effective when they are rutting, however sitting in the cold weather can get pretty brutal. If you have the patience for it, still hunting the timber can be effective also. Unless I have a really good sitting spot picked out already or if the snow crunchy I usually walk, in the mornings and use a combo of spot and stalk and still hunting and then find a spot to sit for the late morning and afternoon.

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I'm probably going to head up to the black hills to hunt for a whitetail doe this November. I'm a pretty new hunter, and this would be my first time hunting whitetail (have hunted mule deer a few times). My question is, given that they are on mountainous national forest land, can I hunt black hills whitetail similar to how one hunts mule deer in the west? Usually when I think of whitetail I think of stand hunting or still hunting in creek bottoms, which I've never really done. Whereas, with mule deer, I think about finding topography + broken-up vegetation, and glassing from ridges. It seems like there are a lot of good glassing areas in the black hills, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this in the right way. Any help would be appreciated.

You will find whitetail EVERYWHERE in the Hills - you can pick a style of hunting or mix and match. I tend to still hunt or spot and stalk. I can’t stand sitting for hours... focus on the edges of private - most of the private land is meadows. The deer feed in them at night. You catch them coming and going at prime time. I’ll be there in November, looking to kill another nice buck... this is an easy hunt.