New to handloading

Slice44

FNG
I'm picking up a 7mm PRC in February. Going to put a Burris 5-25 on it I believe. My question is when getting into handloading does anyone have recommendations for bullet (brand/type/weight).

Most my whitetail shots are in the 100 yard range, but some opportunities have opened up to properties where 500-800 yards is a legitimate possibility. This gun is being purchased with the intent to eventually be used on a spring bear hunt in Montana where I'm told the average shot is 400 yards. As well as a possible elk/mule deer trip.

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Tiny

FNG
What twist rate do you have in your gun? I like bonded bullets like the bondstrike, or nosler accubond, but I also shoot sierra game changers, it just depends on what and where I'm hunting. I have had great luck with the game changers and game kings from 6.5 caliber to 338. Very accurate and easy to work with.

Reactions: EdP
OP
S

Slice44

FNG
They'll be shot out of a bergara Ridge with a 1:8 22" barrel. Thanks for the quick response. I've been looking at the Sierra gamechangers a little

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
Hammer bullets
Nosler Ballistic Tip
Sierra Game changer
Hornady SST

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
175 eldx or the 180 eldm, if your going to shoot a 7mm prc then you just as well shoot the bullets it was designed for. If you are talking 500 to 600 yards, you have to shoot a bullet that is still going to expand well at those velocities.

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
I have had good luck with the 180 Berger hybrid. The 165 sierra gamechanger is also a good choice

Edit to add- If your rifle ends up liking the sierras, buy a bunch of them. Sierra only does a run every 3 years (according to them) so when they run out, it could be years before they are restocked.