Blackovis 150G vs 250G Merino Hoodies

Nick6275

FNG
Looking at making a last minute purchase for CO archery elk trip, has anyone ever tried either or both of these? Have other Blackovis merino and I like it, was just curious if anyone had an opinion on either of these?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at making a last minute purchase for CO archery elk trip, has anyone ever tried either or both of these? Have other Blackovis merino and I like it, was just curious if anyone had an opinion on either of these?

I have both. Hold on one minute....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the 150 t-shirts
The 250 1/4 zip and
The Keele-Heavy weight hoodie which is supposed to perform like a 290.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 250 hoody. I like it a lot. I did size up two sizes in that to use it as more of a mid layer. I ran mostly that when moving last year 3rd rifle in CO. Not sure if I could wear it in September or not. It obviously depends on the weather and each person but if I did an archery hunt, I would buy the 150.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
For early to mid archery it still gets pretty warm. Easily have times when 150 is all you need. It’ll help keep you cool, etc (all the stuff merino does)

It also tends to get cold at night and here in MT we could get snow at anytime.
I usually wear the 150 as a baselayer all season, from early archery through late November.
I later with the 250 or the Keele as needed.

I’d nudge you toward the Keele-Heavy weight is you’re on the fence. It’s overall more comfortable.Its my fav in the NWT line. In my opinion it gives you a larger temp range to operate in.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have several of their merino hoodies. They have all worked really well for me. The 150 would be a better option for early season and is fairly thin. It still has some warmth value on those early season archery mornings where the air has some chill to it, but I can also wear it during the day when it's warm for sun protection. It makes for a great baselayer.

I wouldn't be wearing the 250 unless it was quite a bit colder out. It would be way to warm for early archery in my opinion. When the cold fronts start hitting in October is when I will break that one out.

I have an old version of their merino hoody that is in between the two, that is perfect in my opinion. I don't remember the weight, but it must be about 190 cause it falls right in between the two. I've warn it early season all the way through January duck hunting and it works really good in all applications.

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
I have the 200 long sleeve shirts, just looking for something a little warmer for the mornings. Is there much difference between the 250 and the Keele heavyweight? Do you use one over the other?

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have the 200 long sleeve shirts, just looking for something a little warmer for the mornings. Is there much difference between the 250 and the Keele heavyweight? Do you use one over the other?

The Keele heavyweight is warmer and more comfortable in my opinion.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are different. Definitely different.
Again, I love the Keele. Probably would have skipped the 250 1/4 zip if I had known.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would it be to warm if it gets to 70 during the day?

Yes, probably, but that’s when you layer down.
I wore it this spring bear hunting in the 50’s and it’s too much for me with the 150 tshirt underneath.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
4dc13ee6b670769e8fbd13fe7188909b.jpg

The Keele is on top. The 250 is underneath.
You can see the difference. It’s softer and provides a little more loft for extra insulation.

I have them all. Both the hoodies and the long sleeves. I like the 150 long sleeve and then if it’s colder, I’ll throw a 250 hoodie over the top of the 150 long sleeve crew. Keeps me from having to deal with a bulkier coat while moving. I just ordered the Keel last night. I’ll use it the same way. 150 long sleeve as a base and then the Keel over the top as my outer layer until it gets cold enough that I need an actual jacket. There is no way I’d (me) would wear a Keel in early September in Colorado, under normal conditions. It’s just way too hot if you are moving. Of course there are exceptions to this always.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
My plan was to wear it as a base layer.

If it were Howard... and I was exclusively using it early archery, I wouldn’t use the Keele as a base layer. For most of the time it would be too warm.

IdahoHntr

WKR
My plan was to wear it as a base layer.

I run warm, but I definitely couldn't wear the keele as a baselayer during the day if it was 70. Too hot. I could maybe wear the 250, but again I would probably get too hot. In my opinion Trevor's approach is better. Have a light 150 as a baselayer and then shed/add the heavier weights as needed.

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
Have a mid layer coat already so I might just go with the 150 hoodie. Thanks for the info everyone. Good luck!