Bleed control - personal program

BFM

FNG
Tourniquets should be prepped when stored for rapid use. Out of the plastic with the free running and through the friction adapter. .
I'd like to emphasis this for people casually coming across this thread. For a lot of people they can be very keen to taking care of or protecting their gear. You do not want to be fumbling with plastic shrink wrap when your hands are bloody and slippery. Next thing you know, you are using your teeth to rip the plastic and wondering what that metallic taste is in your mouth.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I'd like to emphasis this for people casually coming across this thread. For a lot of people they can be very keen to taking care of or protecting their gear. You do not want to be fumbling with plastic shrink wrap when your hands are bloody and slippery. Next thing you know, you are using your teeth to rip the plastic and wondering what that metallic taste is in your mouth.
Thanks for this. And for me, I realized that even one of my TQ holders sort of sucked - at least how I had it set up with this elastic band across the front. Definitely overkill (it's got velcro) and it's just one more thing that has to be dealt with to get to the TQ. And it's brown, so while I had it normally on my bino harness, it is the same color as the harness and probably not the first place someone would look - hence another reason for me ordering a good bit of orange tape.

I also decided that my Snakestaff ETQ is probably best "run" without the sleeve, as it's a bit of a PITA to remove. I could probably just use a small ziploc to keep pocket lint from getting in the velcro.
IMG_1431.jpegIMG_1433.jpeg

Edit: I have been in some hairy spots with “experts” who brought moleskin, 4 bandaids, a tube of neosporin, and an abundance of good intentions.
HAHAHAHA! HEY! I resemble that remark! I'm a medevac flight nurse and was a trauma nurse at a high volume/high acuity ED before that. I have seen hundreds if not thousands of traumas. My "med kit" is typically some duct tape and paracord. Maybe some meds.
20 years FF/EMT and I run A LOT of gsw and stabbing due to my assignments. One thing that gets lost on tourniquets is when you use them. I’ve taken off more than I’ve put on (which if they have only been on briefly I can). PD loves them! They usually aren’t needed, not tight enough, and improperly placed. Another key is making sure you you can put one on one handed. I would argue that a Stick anywhere bandage is just as if not more important. But I agree Train train train
THIS.

Reactions: CMF

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
HAHAHAHA! HEY! I resemble that remark! I'm a medevac flight nurse and was a trauma nurse at a high volume/high acuity ED before that. I have seen hundreds if not thousands of traumas. My "med kit" is typically some duct tape and paracord. Maybe some meds.
You guys and the PMs/EMTs are definitely the ones that show up with duct tape, a rubber band, and an NPA with no lube. Worst out of the bunch because you have the skills to travel light. Nothing but trauma troublemakers, medical outlaws, and hospital hooligans of the sort only whiskey drinkers and backcountry hunters would want in their camp lol

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Does anyone have access to the Journal of Special Operations Medicine? There are two articles (below) that are behind a paywall there that sound interesting. Maybe @Marbles?
  • "Tourniquets USA: A Review of the Current Literature for Commercially Available Alternative Tourniquets for Use in the Prehospital Civilian Environment" by James Martinson, Habeeba Park, Frank K Butler Jr, Rick Hammesfahr, Joseph J DuBose, Thomas M Scalea
  • "Effects of Tourniquet Features on Application Processes" by Piper Lynn Wall, Charisse M Buising, JaNiese Jensen, Alex White, Justin Davis, Catherine Hackett Renner
I don't have much access to things any more, WMS and ACC due to membership. I can still log in and search the Georgetown databases, but cannot open articles. They don't have JSOM anyway.

Looks like you can sign up for a 1 day free trial. https://www.jsomonline.org/AllArticles.php
However, the trail does not give you access to everything, but worth a dry, you might get lucky.

You can have the best gear in the world and have taken all those cool classes, but you better have the mental fortitude to stay calm and function in a shitty situation.

When someone is bleeding to death, there can be no hesitation, no second thoughts.

For the average Joe, there is no reason to get into fancy gear and all that. Take the online Stop the Bleed course. Get a CAT and some quick clot and gauze. Learn how to properly use the tourniquet. Then hope to God you never have to use it.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Update on current OCD/rabbit hole topic.

For method/use - I think I've settled on 4 kits/scenarios but need to give that more thought, and look at method of carry and bags. Many of the quality bags are for LE/Mil/tactical and medical pros. I'd love more options that are orange/hi-vis and belt instead of Molle. Yeah - this is way overkill, but I'm ok with it.
  1. EDC - around town or otherwise as a baseline. TQ (SOF-T because it's pretty flat) and S-Rolled Gauze. Probably just throw these in pockets, but not easy with jeans. May need to consider a small of the back pouch.
    IMG_1494.jpeg
  2. EDC+ - I figure this might be an option for in the vehicle (in addition to #4), or when hunting with "just" a bow. Same as #1/EDC, plus NAR ETD, gloves, another TQ and Celox Rapid Ribbon. I've got a bag and TQ holder (pictured) but the bag was a cheapo from Amazon and the zipper catches on some the items. It might be fine in a car, but not on my belt in the woods. I'm looking at options from Live the Creed, Tasmanian Tiger, Coyote Tactical (Burrito).IMG_1496.jpeg
  3. Firearm use - at the range or in the field, ideally on my belt. Same as EDC+, plus shears, glow stick, headlamp, more S-rolled gauze, chest vent, tape and mylar blanket. Maybe NAR Eagle, the LTC Responder IFAK pouch, Coyote STOMP (but might be too big), or TRex Med1. I also may still tinker with the contents of this kit, as it might be more than needed.
    IMG_1497.jpeg
  4. Cars - this is #3 plus splints, more gloves, another mylar blanket, bigger/wider TQ (but still 2), duck tape and LED road flares. Probably need more gauze. I'm still working through whether this gear is all in the trunk, or some of it is in the trunk and other stuff is with me in the vehicle (like #2). I expect I need not have as robust a bag for this use.IMG_1498.jpeg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
After a year or so in the car, those NAR nitrile gloves stick to themselves. Set a date to replace them.

Add a quality barrier device, you are more likely to do CPR than use the bleeding stuff (even at the range). Personally I really like Nu masks, https://www.numask.com/?cpr_kit, They can be used on both adults and children and if you are alone, you don't have to pick the mask up between compressions on an adult as it is held in their mouth.

Your welcome for the addition run on the rabbit hole.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
After a year or so in the car, those NAR nitrile gloves stick to themselves. Set a date to replace them.
Thanks. I had put in a generic 1 year reminder but may check sooner on the gloves.
Add a quality barrier device, you are more likely to do CPR than use the bleeding stuff (even at the range). Personally I really like Nu masks, https://www.numask.com/?cpr_kit, They can be used on both adults and children and if you are alone, you don't have to pick the mask up between compressions on an adult as it is held in their mouth.
I have one, but it’s a MCR. I had set it aside after reading the compressions get about as good without breaths. I will check that one out
Your welcome for the addition run on the rabbit hole.
You need to do better than that!

EDIT - I jinxed myself. Down this rabbit hole now

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have one, but it’s a MCR. I had set it aside after reading the compressions get about as good without breaths. I will check that one out.
Compressions only is taught for lay people because it increases the willingness of people to help. Compressions only certainly beats nothing. Compressions only is not taught in healthcare settings.

Personally, while I have Nu Masks in my vehicles, the odds are that I will not have a barrier device available outside of work. If you are someone I love, you will get breaths, if you are not, you will get compressions only (though if someone who loves you is present, I will give them instructions to provide breaths) because nothing can require me to risk my own safety to help someone else.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Compressions only is taught for lay people because it increases the willingness of people to help. Compressions only certainly beats nothing. Compressions only is not taught in healthcare settings.

Personally, while I have Nu Masks in my vehicles, the odds are that I will not have a barrier device available outside of work. If you are someone I love, you will get breaths, if you are not, you will get compressions only (though if someone who loves you is present, I will give them instructions to provide breaths) because nothing can require me to risk my own safety to help someone else.
Good analysis. I can’t seem to get the “purchase” function on that site to show the price. It could be my home network settings…. My IT guy (moi) sometimes causes problems

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
#1 - still going "naked"
#2 - I'm trying out this Amazon knock-off https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BT8WBWWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- as this has the option to put on my belt, otherwise I would have gone with the Live the Creed EDC pouch
#3 - I'm trying out the Live the Creed Responder IFAK pouch (it also can go on a belt)
#4 - I'm going with the Rescue Essentials EMT bag (https://www.rescue-essentials.com/emt-response-bag-orange/). And since the bag is bigger, I had to buy some more stuff...

@Marbles - I can't find that NuMask option anywhere

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
#1 - still going "naked"
#2 - I'm trying out this Amazon knock-off https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BT8WBWWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- as this has the option to put on my belt, otherwise I would have gone with the Live the Creed EDC pouch
#3 - I'm trying out the Live the Creed Responder IFAK pouch (it also can go on a belt)
#4 - I'm going with the Rescue Essentials EMT bag (https://www.rescue-essentials.com/emt-response-bag-orange/). And since the bag is bigger, I had to buy some more stuff...

Interesting, at the moment I can only find it from European based suppliers.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Update on bags #2 and #3. Short version - I'm over-prepping or buying bags that are too small. Or both.

The Amazon knock-off is fine, but it only holds 4 items: 4" ETD; S-rolled gauze; Celox rapid ribbon; and Nitrile gloves. My TQ(s) will have to be separate, which maybe isn't a bad thing (at least for 1).
IMG_1516.jpegIMG_1518.jpeg

The LTC Responder holds more items: 2 chest seals; 4" ETD; 2 S-rolled gauze; Celox rapid ribbon; shears; one pair of nitrile gloves; and 1 TQ. If I carry another TQ it will be in a separate holder, but I probably don't need the other items I had planned to include (head lamp, tape, mylar blanket and glow stick) - at least in this bag.
IMG_1521.jpegIMG_1519.jpeg

I'm with you on this. I'll give someone I love breaths without a barrier but anyone else is getting just compressions.

Also this is just from my recent refreshers and trainings, seems like in a lot of cases for single rescuer its now being suggested compressions only until someone else arrives for breaths. Not how I learned but they constantly update all this stuff to further make things "better". Obviously every situation is different though.

#1 - still going "naked"

How do you like #2?
I've almost ordered it a couple times, but keep thinking I should just get the Blue Force Gear one that's similar since it's made in the USA.

You're kits are looking good. I like the four different uses/levels you got going.

My wife and I carry sealed nar iPoks in our packs with an additional Israeli bandage and booboo kit.

I would add that anyone who is looking at getting any type of training bring your spouse or hunting buddies along and have the same type of equipment in your kit.

We took the stop the bleed course.

I get my supplies from primary arms or shellback tactical when they have their sales.