Blew up my RX-1 Ultra - repair or upgrade to RX-4

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yesterday I made a really dumb mistake and dry fired my RX-1 Ultra. (Background and pictures here - https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/backstop-for-shooting-inside-your-house.177983/post-1719802). Bow itself looks fine, but the string, cams and axles are "roached" (term from my archery guy).

My archery guy hasn't seen it yet (other than a video I sent him - I'm going this evening), but he raised the issue as to whether I want to consider a new bow. Although my first reaction was that I wanted no part of that, I've now had to reconsider. Here are the issues, as I see them, but I want other input.

1. Repair
    • subject to his review, this could be $500, to include new strings, cams, axles and retune. Ouch
    • more importantly is the time. He said Hoyt manufactures parts to order and it might be a few weeks before he gets the parts. SC opens 8/15, I have a trip to Idaho planned for early September, and I need to practice.
    • Ignoring the time and cost, I would presumably at least be shooting the "same bow" without having to adjust to a new one.
  2. Upgrade to RX-4
    • Sounds like this will be around a net of $1200, as he *thinks* he could give me $500 for my bow.
    • This would be a much faster result
    • But I would have to get used to shooting a slightly different bow. Looks like it is 1" shorter ATA and 0.75" longer brace height.
    • I'm not interested in switching from Hoyt
  3. Do both?
    • I guess I could order the new bow, have my guy repair the old bow, and then sell the old bow.
    • Not sure that I can get what I would need to make this better than the other options, and I'm not sure I want to deal with the hassle of finding a buyer, explaining the status of the bow (it's CF, but I get how someone would be leery).
Please weigh in - other than to remind me what a total idiot I am - on the economics, and if anyone else has switched from the RX-1 to RX-4 (hopefully under better circumstances).

Last edited:

bat-cave

WKR
I have an RX-1 and an RX-4 Ultra. My RX-1 is awesome and remains one of the easiest bows to shoot for me. #70 feels closer to #60 on the RX-1 (IMHO). I am happy with my RX-4 as well, but I will say it's a stiffer draw cycle (IMHO) and it's taken come getting used to. I spoke with a Hoyt rep and he mentioned it's the changes in the cam design between the RX-1 and the RX-4. In theory the Ultra would lessen the change a touch as it's generally a bit easier given the extra leverage. All this to say that I expect you would like the RX-4, but it will still likely require some range time as it's not a pure simple upgrade as it does feel a bit different. As a result, I say make the move to the RX-4 and get the range time to be ready for the season! Best of luck!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
They're willing to give you 500 for a blown up bow? I'd take that and run.

Well, he hasn't seen it yet, but I think we are both operating on the hope/assumption that the RX-1 carbon fiber will have withstood the dry fire, as I think they tout having tested one at 1500 dry fires. (I'm going on memory here, and realize that doesn't necessarily translate into "it's all good" for a subsequent buyer.) This guy set up the bow originally, and knows the story, so I'm guessing he's in the best position to judge.

mlgc20

WKR
They're willing to give you 500 for a blown up bow? I'd take that and run.
Agree with Rob. Even if they gave you $300, I'd probably take it and do the upgrade.

Sorry your bow got blown up. But, glad you didn't get hurt. Dry fires can get ugly. Good luck either way.

Per Hoyt advertising, their carbon bows can handle many dry fires. Off the top of my head, I think cams are around $200, strings and cables are less than $100. If the limbs are still good, that's only $300 parts.
My opinion is that the person that is shooting the bow is the only person that can tune it, because different people grip and anchor different and it could be different than a machine.
If you are getting a new bow, you could try an RX3, they would probably be a little cheaper than the 4, but there's not a lot of difference between the two.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If the riser is good (which it likely is), see what it’d cost to get new limbs, cams, axles, and strings. That’s basically a brand new bow and you can keep the same feel. If it’s less than a new bow and you’re worried about overall cost, then do that.

If you’re not comfortable shooting a bow that you know was dry fired, then get a new one, fix the old one, and try to sell it for whatever it cost to fix it.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If the riser is good (which it likely is), see what it’d cost to get new limbs, cams, axles, and strings. That’s basically a brand new bow and you can keep the same feel. If it’s less than a new bow and you’re worried about overall cost, then do that.

If you’re not comfortable shooting a bow that you know was dry fired, then get a new one, fix the old one, and try to sell it for whatever it cost to fix it.

I'm headed over to my guy's house shortly. I'm leaning more towards getting the new one, primarily because the time that could be involved in the repair that would be best spent practicing - ideally using arrows going forward.

Based on the Hoyt representations on how tough the bow is even after dry firing, I'm hoping the limbs are OK, and I would be fine keeping and shooting it. So I do like the idea of repairing the other to keep as a backup - except for the cost part!!

I’ve got a set of Subalpine 60-70 lb limbs and #2 cams I am not using. PM me if that would be the better way to go

If getting a new bow I'd look around. I know your not interested in leaving Hoyt, but you might try a few others to be certain of your investment. For as durable as they claim the bows if you need to replace anything more than string and cables I'd be disappointed. I washed my hands of them after my carbon defiant turbo. Personally I don't think think they are what they used to be. I'm not saying this to talk you out of Hoyt, I just feel like when spending money it's smart to weigh options. You don't need to regret spending that kind of money in a hurry a few months from now.

Rob5589

WKR
What are the manufacturers doing to their bows to make them handle 1500 dry fires, when we read about a single dry fire by owners doing significant damage? I find it hard to believe strings, limbs, and cams are lasting 1500 dry fires.

87TT

WKR
I had a Redhead bow from Basspro when I started out a few years ago that I dry fired at least three times. It was a Franken bow with Hoyt cams and limbs on I think a Bowtech riser. The strings goy a little roughed up but everything looked god so I pressed it with a couple ratchet straps and put them back on. It was still shooting when I passed it on to a new guy last year. They (at least Hoyts) are pretty tough. If someone is going to give you $500 for it, I'll bet it just needs strings and cables. It is usually just the strings that get beat coming off the cams and rollers.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
UPDATE

Went to see my guy and he said everything is fine apart from the string, so crisis averted! He was surprised that the cams were ok, but not surprised at all that the rest of the bow was OK. @Rob5589 - no idea, but perhaps it is a CF issue. I'm such a novice that my guy could have told me the cams were messed up and I would have gotten a new bow.

I have to admit that while I'm thrilled I'm only out $175 for the new string (which I would have gotten anyway), I was starting to get excited about the upgrade. New color, maybe different color strings, etc. :unsure:

175 for a new string? Use this time to buy from a reputable custom maker. It will be higher quality and cheaper than a hoyt/fuse string set.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
175 for a new string? Use this time to buy from a reputable custom maker. It will be higher quality and cheaper than a hoyt/fuse string set.

It's $175 for Threadz (multi color - if that matters), and he's going to tune and sight it in again with my HHA Tetra. I'm guessing there may also be regional pricing differences, but does that sound more reasonable?

It's $175 for Threadz (multi color - if that matters), and he's going to tune and sight it in again with my HHA Tetra. I'm guessing there may also be regional pricing differences, but does that sound more reasonable?

He is going to tune and sight it in to how you shoot the bow?

Thats new to me.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
That sounds great. I have tuned a lot of bows for people, but final tune usually still comes down to them.

If pin gap is set I can normally get them close by shooting the first pin, still some variables involved after that.

Sorry to be flippant/a smart a$$. My point is that the $175 is for more than the strings - he's going to tune, sight in to make sure the tape is correct (it's a single pin HHA Tetra) - but then I will go back to see him to make sure all is in order as I shoot it.

Since several have said something about the cost of the string - does it make a difference that the string will be made by Threadz?