Blisters after break-in?

BH2010

FNG
I just got home from my first backpack hunting trip. We came home empty handed unfortunately, and cut it a little short due to my partner's altitude sickness and some bad weather. However, the experience was great and we got to see some awesome country and validate all of our gear choices. My biggest gear failure however, were my boots.

I bought a pair of Oboz Bridger boots almost a year ago now and since February I put 40+ miles on them training with a weighted pack, up and down hill, with the same merino wool socks I took on the hunt. I was extremely confident in these boots, but I developed some terrible heel blisters on the second day of our hunt after not really a ton of hiking, definitely not more than I had done during training sessions. I taped up my heels and got a few more painful days out of the situation, but I don't understand what went wrong. Has anyone else had problems suddenly with well-tested and broke-in boots? Should I just preemptively tape my heels in the future?

I'm also pretty sure the waterproofing failed on day 4, but that's not as big of a problem as the blisters.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Did you wear a liner sock under the merino wool socks? They usually act as a barrier between the skin and your wool socks in case of rubbing. Also, look up the "heel lock lacing method". That may help too.

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
Did you wear a liner sock under the merino wool socks? They usually act as a barrier between the skin and your wool socks in case of rubbing. Also, look up the "heel lock lacing method". That may help too.
I did not, because I never had problems before. What kind of liner socks are popular?

I wear the Kenetrek Ultimate liner, but any brand as long as they are listed as "liner" socks. They are thin and usually made of synthetic (nylon, etc). Also if you think you will get a blister, put tape on over that spot BEFORE you get a blister. Don't ever put tape on a blister, unless you put some gauze pad or similar on the blister before the tape.
Most people use and recommend Leukotape. Dry the area really well, and put the tape on a hot spot before the blister forms.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed with the recommendation on sock liners. I made the switch to the Injinji toe sock liners and like them much better than regular liners. The only thing I’ve found with wearing liners I need 1/2 size bigger than I typically wear. I’d say either the boots didn’t fit you as well as you thought or they weren’t as broke in as you thought they were. You can try different lacing methods or adding a different insole to help.

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
Agreed with the recommendation on sock liners. I made the switch to the Injinji toe sock liners and like them much better than regular liners. The only thing I’ve found with wearing liners I need 1/2 size bigger than I typically wear. I’d say either the boots didn’t fit you as well as you thought or they weren’t as broke in as you thought they were. You can try different lacing methods or adding a different insole to help.
I've got to believe they were broken in with 40 miles on them. We were only 4 miles back in, so it's not like I was doing anything extreme compared to my 3-5 mile training hikes. After I'm healed up I'll continue to wear them and see if the issue repeats.

dtrkyman

WKR
Off trail on the hunt? If training on trail maybe you didn't get into as extreme of angles?

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
Off trail on the hunt? If training on trail maybe you didn't get into as extreme of angles?
Training in Missouri on public and private land, on and off trail. Slope angle was definitely as steep in some places as what I did in Colorado, but of course not as prolonged before either side-hilling or going downhill.

Fowl Play

WKR
Whenever I get blisters from boots I've broken in, it's because I was not paying attention and did not lace them tight enough. It's all friction, if you can feel your foot move around at all in your boots, blister can follow. Add in some extra sweat, multiple days in the boots, and real world unsteady ground and I bet that was it.

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
Whenever I get blisters from boots I've broken in, it's because I was not paying attention and did not lace them tight enough. It's all friction, if you can feel your foot move around at all in your boots, blister can follow. Add in some extra sweat, multiple days in the boots, and real world unsteady ground and I bet that was it.
There should be way less sweat at 10k in colorado in September than in July in Missouri lol.

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s not just the boots that need breaking in. Your feet do too. Soft feet from city shoes going straight into boots (even well broken in ones) that haven’t been worn in a year will create blisters. Your feet need conditioning (in same boots) too.

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
It’s not just the boots that need breaking in. Your feet do too. Soft feet from city shoes going straight into boots (even well broken in ones) that haven’t been worn in a year will create blisters. Your feet need conditioning (in same boots) too.
I think you misunderstood, I didn't let then sit for a year, I've worn them consistently for almost the whole year while training, at least once every other week all spring and summer, right up to the week before we left.

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
My heels rub in essentially every boot I’ve owned. It isn’t bad in the flat lands but the mountains are tougher on feet. Not sure if it’s the shape of my feet or what, but I now preemptively Leuko tape them on all mountain hunts. The tape will last for a few days and I no longer have issues with blisters. As others have already stated, liner socks are also a must.

Blisters suck and can ruin a hunt. Tape is an easy preventative measure.

wapitibob

WKR
I’ve run the Oboz Bridger for several years now. They’re a light hiker on par with a lowa renegade or vasque breeze; requiring little to no break in. If you’re getting heel blisters I would guess they’re too big. They’re soft enough you shouldn’t have any heel lift. If you bought them at rei, take them back within a year. If not, use a liner and some gorilla tape down the back of your heel.

Even though a boot seems to fit on mild terrain, steep terrain or very rugged terrain can cause hotspots and blisters. I dont have any experience with Oboz but I have used and worn out boots from Danner, Whites, Hanwag, Crispi, and Kenetrek. Boots are a very personal thing, the boot that works for one person may not work for another. Spend the money on boots, get good ones, they will fit better, last longer and be more waterproof than a Sportsmans Warehouse bargain boot.
Running a 2 sock combo like the ones from smart wool or a double sock like the Wrightsocks will really help but a poor fitting boot is a poor fitting boot.

I had something similiar a couple years ago due to a size issue. I used and put a ton of miles on some
Crispi summits around home and in the mountains, never once got a hot spot even. Bought a pair of crispi colorados had no issues at home but a half mile into my hike in the high country i tore the shit out of my heel. I used them on steep inclines with weight at home and everything, no issues but they beat me up instantly out there.
I had my old trusty summits along and swapped back on day 2 to those, which helped a lot. Come to find out once i was home the colorado ‘s were a half soze to small, so whether that was the issue or the extra stiffness of them model, they didnt work for me. So i sold on here then bought another pair of summits and am now 5-6 years on those without even a hot spot.