Body Scan Scales ?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Looking at getting a set of scales to weigh at home vs waiting until I go to work. These are pretty highly reviewed online but was hoping to talk to someone with first hand experience

hammerco

FNG
Looking at getting a set of scales to weigh at home vs waiting until I go to work. These are pretty highly reviewed online but was hoping to talk to someone with first hand experience
Like, a Garmin or Withings type scale that gives you bmi, muscle mass, etc?

hammerco

FNG
I have a Withings Body Cardio. Had it for a couple years and have been happy with it. It's consistent in that I see trends that correlate with my workouts and diet. I find this helpful for trying to pinpoint what "maintenance" during a season might look like. That is to say, can I adjust my strength workouts and diet in order to see my muscle mass stay constant, therefore allowing for more time spent on activities, endurance training, work, socializing, etc?

As for if its measurements are correct; I couldn't say. I've never done any caliper or float tests to personally check the results. But the trends are motivating, so I guess I'm getting my money's worth. And they certainly publish articles showing that they at least think it's valid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are some articles and forums that talk about trying to control some variables: consistently weighing before/after a shower, after using the toilet, first thing in the morning.

Especially with a sale price, it's worth the money and certainly preferable to a normal scale, imho. I'd probably not splurge for one of the newer ones with the handles that is trying to give you heart health info. I'll stick with this one.

This can be a GIGANTIC rabbit hole. If you’ve got a lot of money to throw around and/or will find added motivation by all the data, than any mentioned here will fit the bill. A decent scale (sub-$50), a $1 cloth tape from a fabric store, and consistent/repeatability in how/when you take the measurements will be MORE than enough.

Edit: just read @hammerco post. Excellent points in there about using the metrics to watch trends and using it as motivation vs being hung up on how accurate it is for BF, etc.