EL 10x42 vs SFL 10x40

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Of course ideally I'd find a shop to compare both side by side, but until then, does anyone have any experience looking through swaro EL 10x42s, and zeiss SFL 10x40s, and have any thoughts on both?

I currently have a pair of nikon monarch HG 8x42s, and quite like them. I'm looking at getting a set of 10s, and figured I might as well step it up a class while I'm at it.

There's some physical differences, but price wise they compare pretty close, so that's why I'm looking at these two. SFs, NLs, Noctovids etc are out of my price range.

Use is in British Columbia, and could be anything from September alpine mulies to coastal black bears. Maybe sheep and goats one day. I'll always have a tripod to use them with when it's appropriate.

Appreciate any insight!

HCMike

FNG
Classified Approved
Of course ideally I'd find a shop to compare both side by side, but until then, does anyone have any experience looking through swaro EL 10x42s, and zeiss SFL 10x40s, and have any thoughts on both?

I currently have a pair of nikon monarch HG 8x42s, and quite like them. I'm looking at getting a set of 10s, and figured I might as well step it up a class while I'm at it.

There's some physical differences, but price wise they compare pretty close, so that's why I'm looking at these two. SFs, NLs, Noctovids etc are out of my price range.

Use is in British Columbia, and could be anything from September alpine mulies to coastal black bears. Maybe sheep and goats one day. I'll always have a tripod to use them with when it's appropriate.

Appreciate any insight!
Just did the same comparison while trying to choose a set of binos to use not only for western elk, deer and antelope but also for Midwest whitetail. EL’s are very bright and clear. (Swaro glass) but I just did not care for the in-hand feel and the eye cups are not very precise and positive in adjustment. Purchased the Zeiss SFL10x40 without seeing in person but very glad I did. Glass is superb, focus is quick, eye cups actually “click” in place, and overall build is high quality. Feel great in hand— very balanced and light. They do not have a locking diopter but all adjustments are very tight and secure. Save a few hundred dollars, a few ounces, and a few inches.

OP
G

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Just did the same comparison while trying to choose a set of binos to use not only for western elk, deer and antelope but also for Midwest whitetail. EL’s are very bright and clear. (Swaro glass) but I just did not care for the in-hand feel and the eye cups are not very precise and positive in adjustment. Purchased the Zeiss SFL10x40 without seeing in person but very glad I did. Glass is superb, focus is quick, eye cups actually “click” in place, and overall build is high quality. Feel great in hand— very balanced and light. They do not have a locking diopter but all adjustments are very tight and secure. Save a few hundred dollars, a few ounces, and a few inches.

Thanks for that. Good to know on the eye cups, I got rid of a pair of Maven B2s, in part because the eye up adjustments weren't very solid, and I found it quite annoying, and in part because they were pretty bulky and heavy. The MHG has fairly solid eyecup adjustments, and is super light and compact for a 42mm binocular, so it would be nice to maintain that aspect with the Zeiss.

Interestingly, the Zeiss are actually a couple hundred more than the ELs up here in Canada, not entirely sure why. $2450 vs $26-2700.

10ringer

WKR
The weight and ergonomics of the SFL are far superior to the EL’s. The SFL is a bino you just want to grab and use. I found the EL’s to be bulky and annoying to use if they weren’t on a tripod. Glass wise, the SFL’s will have a similar color tone that you are used to with the Nikons, Browns tend to pop more. On a tripod for hours of glassing I would take El’s. Els are clearer to the edge so you will catch more movement in your periphery. All other glassing situations, sfl no question about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
The weight and ergonomics of the SFL are far superior to the EL’s. The SFL is a bino you just want to grab and use. I found the EL’s to be bulky and annoying to use if they weren’t on a tripod. Glass wise, the SFL’s will have a similar color tone that you are used to with the Nikons, Browns tend to pop more. On a tripod for hours of glassing I would take El’s. Els are clearer to the edge so you will catch more movement in your periphery. All other glassing situations, sfl no question about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fantastic, thank you. I figured as far as glass goes, the ELs would probably be better, at least on paper. All those other things are what I was curious about.

I have both the HG and SFL. While the HG is a fine binocular the SFL is a noticeable step up in refinement. Personally I really don’t like the handling of the EL but can see its merits as a tripod mounted glass.

Thanks for that. Good to know on the eye cups, I got rid of a pair of Maven B2s, in part because the eye up adjustments weren't very solid, and I found it quite annoying, and in part because they were pretty bulky and heavy. The MHG has fairly solid eyecup adjustments, and is super light and compact for a 42mm binocular, so it would be nice to maintain that aspect with the Zeiss.

Interestingly, the Zeiss are actually a couple hundred more than the ELs up here in Canada, not entirely sure why. $2450 vs $26-2700.

What is your opinion of how the HGs and B2s compare in terms of image quality?

OP
G

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the HG and SFL. While the HG is a fine binocular the SFL is a noticeable step up in refinement. Personally I really don’t like the handling of the EL but can see its merits as a tripod mounted glass.

Thanks, good to know compared to the HGs. I was thinking I'd just get a set of the HG in 10x, but with the price of the SFLs, and the ELs coming down, I figured it would be worth looking into an upgrade.

What is your opinion of how the HGs and B2s compare in terms of image quality?

I had them both a 5-6 years ago, so I can't say anything specific, but I recall them being very close optically, enough so that the weight and bulk of the B2s weren't worth it. The B2s were probably slightly better, but not in any way I can quantify 5 years later. I don't regret sticking with the HGs though.

HGs and B2s are night and day in size and handling. The views are also very different. Resolution is very close with maybe a slight edge to the B2; color saturation to the HG; ease of view - both are very good with a slight edge to the B2.

The B2 has a slight optical advantage throughout as it has an AK prism system, and it has a bit better build quality. However, the HG is a gem to handle. I’d still take the SFL over either.

I have SFL's and I really like them, more than the EL's I had before them however the EL does handle direct sunlight better, it just magically makes glare non existent. The ergonomics and focus on the SFL makes them the ideal carry bino IMO.