Boiling Moose Skull for Euro Mount

I bought a big 28 gallon galvanized steel tub from the feed store to boil my moose skull in. Some I of the antlers will need to be submerged in order to cover the entire skull with water. If I backtape with electrical, then saran wrap and tape again over that and add some tin foil on top of it all, will the antlers be okay or will they change color at all during the boiling? I've deer done and elk but never a bull moose where the antlers swoop down slightly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steam it.

Use turkey fryer with an extra propane tank.

Take the valve off the extra propane tank fill it half way with water and fit a braided steel dishwasher hose to it.

Put moose skull in heavy duty trash/contractor bag and put end of dishwasher hose in bag.

Tape everything up tight and start the flame. Once bag fills with steam poke a small hole at the bottom so pressure can escape and steam for about 1-1.5 hr.

Power wash and done

Might need a second steaming but it’s pretty easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you have Instagram get on Tana Grenda’s page and she has a whole tutorial under her highlights.

b6d50d423d474af1b09334a67a174ca6.jpg

I use a cheap turkey fryer pot and lid that I sealed together w/ hole in top with brass male adapter to fill with water and then connect dishwasher hose to. Similar to what was mentioned above.

You cant boil them unless you have a special bucket specifically made for their skull and even then you can't get the cap portion of the skull.

I’ve seen guys use a steel garbage can or drum and cut out notches as thick as the antler base about 6 inches down. Then you can put a lid on and steam the portion of the skull that’s out of the water.

My skull boiling days are officially behind me. I’ve done a bunch of animals and every time I get halfway through and cuss my cheap ass mindset. One problem I’ve ran into with moose is the cartilage above the nose has calcified on me a couple of times if not removed early enough.

By the time you’re all in on costs, you may as well spend another $200 and take it to a beetle guy and save yourself several hours. Especially if you want showroom quality. If you want garage quality, steaming is the way to go.

I steamed this year’s moose for 2 hours, pressure washed it for 20 minutes, then did two rounds of bleach. Done. I had a cow musk ox sitting in the greenhouse for about 18 months. It was full on zombie eyes and dried flesh covered in mold. Was planning on tossing it, but since I had the steamer set up, I figured I’d give it a shot. I steamed it about 3 hours. 20 minutes with the pressure washer and it was clean.

All in cost was less than a tank of propane, $10 trash propane tank off marketplace, $3 adapter, and a $10 bottle of bleach. All in time, probably 4 hours of actual work, half of it just babysitting steam set up.
IMG_7035.jpegIMG_7042.jpegIMG_7046.jpegIMG_7094.jpegIMG_7096.jpegIMG_7110.jpeg

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
I’ve seen guys use a steel garbage can or drum and cut out notches as thick as the antler base about 6 inches down. Then you can put a lid on and steam the portion of the skull that’s out of the water.

My skull boiling days are officially behind me. I’ve done a bunch of animals and every time I get halfway through and cuss my cheap ass mindset. One problem I’ve ran into with moose is the cartilage above the nose has calcified on me a couple of times if not removed early enough.

By the time you’re all in on costs, you may as well spend another $200 and take it to a beetle guy and save yourself several hours. Especially if you want showroom quality. If you want garage quality, steaming is the way to go.

I steamed this year’s moose for 2 hours, pressure washed it for 20 minutes, then did two rounds of bleach. Done. I had a cow musk ox sitting in the greenhouse for about 18 months. It was full on zombie eyes and dried flesh covered in mold. Was planning on tossing it, but since I had the steamer set up, I figured I’d give it a shot. I steamed it about 3 hours. 20 minutes with the pressure washer and it was clean.

All in cost was less than a tank of propane, $10 trash propane tank off marketplace, $3 adapter, and a $10 bottle of bleach. All in time, probably 4 hours of actual work, half of it just babysitting steam set up.
View attachment 627121View attachment 627122View attachment 627123View attachment 627124View attachment 627125View attachment 627127

This is brilliant

wytx

WKR
Oblong shaped pot does well for elk and moose.
Steam method looks interesting.

TaperPin

WKR
Any antler in boiling water will lose its color. Don’t forget to scoop out the brains with a wire.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Try not to submerge the antlers. Wrapping them as described should be okay. Simmer, do not BOIL. Pressure washer works well but you will have to scrape a lot of flesh off. For scraping tissue off the skull I have used a wood chisel with good results.

I got an old and outdated propane tank for free - not hard to find. I cut the top out to fit a moose skull and used a two burner outdoor cooker to simmer and clean the skull. Drape some paper towels over the top of the skull to keep moist and "baste" the paper towels during the process. Do not over "cook" it or you will loosen the cartilage and skull structure.

The steam method described above appears to be promising and perhaps a preferred method to boiling! I might have to try that someday.

Attachments

• european mount.jpg
    european mount.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 27
  • skull cleaning 2.jpeg
    skull cleaning 2.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 27
  • skull cleaning 1.jpg
    skull cleaning 1.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When the skulls get submerged deep enough for the top of the skull cap to get boiled, the antlers are gonna get a few inches of boiling too. Most taxidermists I've seen do this end up painting acrylics to match the color back on the antlers and blending it into the natural colors.

I've had many done this way and you wouldn't know the antlers were stained or painted in the small bleached areas. Very natural looking.

I've never had to scrape any flesh off after steaming and power washing.

Used, wet coffee grinds work well in adding color back to any antlers also

kphunter

FNG
Earlex SS77USSG Steam Generator, 1.3-Gallon Capacity, 12' Hose, Steamer for Wood Bending, Steam Box for Wood, Portable Steam Generator, Steam Wood Bender
https://a.co/d/i4pJ0Hg

I use a plastic bag as well, but I use that ⬆️ steamer.

I’ve also cut a 50 gallon drum off on the top rib. And put water in the bottom and used that to steam heads.65489165535__E44E7A5F-FAA0-4F0F-ACD7-CCB24940410D.jpeg

roymunson

WKR
You guys using bleach? I was told bleach will make the bone brittle and degrade it.

Good setups you guys have there. Lots of ingenuity.