Book Cliffs archery

bowuntr

WKR
Last week I made a solo scouting trip to the unit to learn the lay of the land. I saw over 100 bucks from the divide but too early to tell what they will finish at. Right now I'm interested in scouting the roadless to see what I can find. Does anyone have any experience backpacking into the roadless area that they would be willing to share? I can share some Arizona hunt info. I'm gonna try and hunt the biggest bucks I can find. I can stay the whole season if I need to. Thanks2.JPG3.jpg1.JPG8.JPG. Ed

JNDEER

WKR
Good stuff Ed!

Any unique characteristic bucks? I like that second buck not too wide but should get tall and deep.

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
Nothing that you could tell. Most bucks were just starting their g2's. That small 4 point was the most developed buck I saw. Ed F

K9popo

FNG
Nothing that you could tell. Most bucks were just starting their g2's. That small 4 point was the most developed buck I saw. Ed F

I drew the Book Cliffs as well. It’s a very special place. My father in-law drew the multi season a few years ago and I couldn’t believe the amount of animals we saw.

It’s been fun getting back up there and watching them bucks grow. Never leave disappointed.

Be back up in a couple weeks to place cameras for the final stretch.

Good luck to ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No good spots to recommend. That’s BBs old stomping grounds, maybe he has some favorite areas. In my experience a good buck is good by the 4th of July so maybe your next trip will turn up something. I’ve hunted the Colorado side a lot more, and the really big bucks were actually low down near agriculture and water.

I'm new to the site but can give you some info on the roadless. I had the tag 2 years ago and ended up hunting the roaded side. I found a few spots that held some nice deer but didn't find anything that was over 185. Fun unit with how many bucks are there though! Good luck and don't hesitate to reach out!

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
Went up for another scouting trip. Super dry... most of the dirt tanks I looked at in June were dry. It started raining yesterday. Saw over 100 bucks but nothing that got me excited. I know they're there... I just have to find one. If anyone knows anyone with a buffalo tag, have them get ahold of me... I'll miss the first 4 days of the season because of a Nevada hunt... not too worried about missing the opening weekend chaos. Thanks to everyone who has reached out to help me. Ed F20200720_182347.jpg20200720_164223.jpg20200722_205619.jpgIMG_3294.JPGIMG_3284.JPG20200720_182347.jpgIMG_3255.JPG

We just got back from being down there over the weekend. Sounds like a similar trip, tons of buck nothing huge but some nice ones. Good luck to you, I have a Muzzy tag, so save a good one for me.

K9popo

FNG
My 2020 book cliffs buck. I saw 5 bucks to one doe but they’re we’re going to make you work for them.

bd752e6ca0b17d28125831cdf619d602.jpg

Last edited:

tacoma96

FNG
Inspiring pictures and a great buck. You definitely earned that one, thanks for sharing.

tacoma96

FNG
LOL GPS coordinates wouldn't help me anyways, this will be my third go at it this October and have yet to get my hands on a Muley. I'm good with just getting to walk around in the mountains looking anyways. Posts like yours keep me going.

K9popo

FNG
In the fall they move way down to the bottom.

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
Nice one K9popo. Lots of deer.... Rosinbag and I looked over several hundred bucks and I ended up shooting the biggest one we saw. Dry, hot, dusty and lots of bucks... couldn't find the next age class I was hoping for. Thanks Doug for all the help. Ed F

IMG_3364-1.jpg