Booking Air Travel

Voyageur

WKR
On my 3 AK hunts I've always booked round trip tickets and allowed a few extra days at the end in case I got out of the field late due to weather. The last two trips I had enough extra days built in to my schedule that it saved me money (lodging) to rebook my return flight to an earlier date. After getting home this year I got to wondering what would happen if I got out of the field late enough that I missed my return flight. I assumed it would be a simple matter of rescheduling to a later date and paying a small change fee. I called Alaska Airlines today and found out that if I miss my return flight (without contacting them before it takes off) I forfeit that ticket and the money I paid for it. I would then need to book and pay for a new flight home.
After visiting with the agent about ways to prevent that she told me one option is to book a one way flight up and wait to book your return flight until you are out of the field. I was always under the impression that round trip tickets were cheaper than one way, but found out that hasn't been so for a number of years now.
Anyway, that gives me two options; allow more than enough time at the end of the trip to account for the unexpected and then reschedule if I get out of the field on time, or book a one way trip up and wait until I'm out to book a one way trip back home.
What do the rest of you do?

I know every other major airlines charges out the rear end for last minute (<2 weeks) reservations. Does Alaska Airlines not do this?

Book with more than enough time for the return trip and then once you are out of the field rebook to a sooner date.

cedahm

FNG
Best option - book a RT ticket on your planned dates well in advance (also monitor the price between booking and departure - if the fare for the exact flights/dates goes lower than what you paid, you can usually get a refund on the difference).

Then - Rent a satphone - beyond the other myriad and arguably more important advantages of having a SatPhone in the AK backcountry, being able to use it to call the airline and rebook if you know you're missing the return leg would pay for the phone rental.

You'd still pay a change fee and fare difference to change the return leg of your ticket (in some cases the agents will bend the rules a little on fees and whatnot) but much cheaper than buying a new 1-way (planned or not) when you turn up in ANC or whatever gateway airport.

Do NOT book 'Saver' tickets (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/flight-experience/saver). Those are un-changeable for any reason (amongst a host of other restrictions).

I think Bubblehide has the right answer and this is what I was always taught And what most outfitters recommend. Book your return several days past your intended return and then reschedule it when back in town.

Wapiti1

WKR
Coming home early never crossed my mind.

I plan a couple of extra days at the end in case of bad weather and book round trip. When I get out of the bush early, I stay and fish.

Jeremy

I start watching flights several months in advance on random days and look how hard it is to book from where I’m planning on being to my home airport and the price within a couple days. Based on that, I’ve always I booked one way and then book a return once out of the field.

For example, if I was planning on flying back from Kodiak I would start checking daily how often there are open seats on a flight for the next couple days. There’s usually always openings within 24 hours.

wyosteve

WKR
In the same vein, make sure if you've booked a hotel room in advance, that you call and cancel or re-book. I forgot to do that when I filled early and flew out. Cost me a night's room fee for a room I never used!

Willie IV

FNG
I'm debating this myself right now. Already looking at tickets for Aug 2021. For me, flying home from Anchorage has me leaving mid-day and not getting to Omaha until the next afternoon. That's a lot of hours in the airport!

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I start watching flights several months in advance on random days and look how hard it is to book from where I’m planning on being to my home airport and the price within a couple days. Based on that, I’ve always I booked one way and then book a return once out of the field.

For example, if I was planning on flying back from Kodiak I would start checking daily how often there are open seats on a flight for the next couple days. There’s usually always openings within 24 hours.
Booking the return flight last minute like that do you feel you pay more than you would if you booked it well in advance?
Thanks.

Squincher

WKR
Booking the return flight last minute like that do you feel you pay more than you would if you booked it well in advance?
Thanks.

A short notice booking might be more expensive, but how much money would you have wasted if you buy a round trip ticket but get eaten by a bear before you can capitalize on the second leg of your ticket? The glass can be half full in any situation, if you look hard enough.