Boot Blankets/Insulators

Voyageur

WKR
For those hunts where mobility is mandatory combined with 2-3 hour stationary periods and the temps can be anywhere from 50 F down to near 0 F I'm considering a pair of the boot blankets to slip on when I'm stationary. The only mobility required from these would be a step or two at my glassing site.
Basically what I've run across are the ones made by Arctic Shield and another made by Ice Breaker. Any brands I'm missing? Any features that cause one to be better than the other?
Thanks.

My thoughts are that while boot blankets may help cut down on your feet getting wind chilled while sitting in a cold spot, it really comes down to lack of movement/circulation that will make your feet cold.

I've got a pair that I use whitetail stand hunting. Work well. Drop a handwarmer in each and you can ride out frigid weather with non-insulated boots.

For a hunt where you hike a lot and then glass a lot I probably wouldn't bring them due to weight. Thinking about exploring vapor barriers, or making a set of overboots out of refletix and tape instead.

I've got a pair that I use whitetail stand hunting. Work well. Drop a handwarmer in each and you can ride out frigid weather with non-insulated boots.

For a hunt where you hike a lot and then glass a lot I probably wouldn't bring them due to weight. Thinking about exploring vapor barriers, or making a set of overboots out of refletix and tape instead.
Thanks for the suggestions. Weight is important to me as some of the hunts I would use them on have a 50# gear limit.

Weight? Those things don't weigh much at all. I don't even notice mine when I have them in my pack. They may weigh a pound... maybe. Well worth carrying as they are far more effective than insulated boots, where you hike around and get your feet sweaty, and then stop and get frozen feet. For late season hunts where you are going to be sitting a long time they are worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Make sure you get them large enough as they can be a pain to get on over boots if they are too snug. And put them on right when you get on stand, don't wait until your feet get cold. And as already mentioned, disposable heat packs are a nice add too...

I've used the ones that came with my heater body suit when hunting high country mulies in November, 8 degrees, where you climb for 3-4 hours then try to sit and glass for a hour here, 2-3 hours there. Along with a burly puffy and puffy pants they work wonders. Put em on over my boots and they worked well. It seems they might not work like that but they did. Keeps that leather from freezing right near your toes and then freezing the toes.

I have used artic shield. They were fine but pay attention to the comment about sizing. My 13 EE does not fit well in their large size.

I have also had good results wrapping my lower Legs in a woobie or sleeping bag. I find that this keeps my feet fairly warm in blind and stands or when I set up a mobile ambush. an Old army trick (we slept with our boots on) was to put your feet / boots in the stuff sack and then you bag over that to keep from getting your bag muddy.

I’ve used a HPG mountain serape wrapped around my boots with good results. Its multi-purpose too and can let you get by with a lighter sleeping bag and/or puffy layers. If I ever take my Superdown instead of Kifaru LPP puffy jacket and pants to Alaska I’ll use the weight savings on the synthetic insulated serape.

If you're going to be mobile, go with the artic shields. I have a pair of them I gave a buddy when I bought the icebreakers. Ice breakers are warmer, but I hate carrying them 1 mile on my pack. Artic Shield you wont even know they're there.

Someone needs to build a set of goose down ones with a durable bottom so they can stuff down in pack and still have contact with stand and not rip or soak up dew or moisture from the stand. I use the ice breakers and they do work but much to bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you get them large enough as they can be a pain to get on over boots if they are too snug. And put them on right when you get on stand, don't wait until your feet get cold. And as already mentioned, disposable heat packs are a nice add too...
Totally agree - I wear a size 12 shoe and a size 13 800 gram boot. I have the largest size from arctic shield and they are a gigantic pain to get pulled onto my boot...

Back