Insulated Boot Warmth?

srm51475

FNG
Hey guys, first post here.

Comparing three different insulated boots: Crispi Wild Rock GTX Plus, Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000 and Cabels's Instinct Mountain Thermal. Each boot is insulated but with different technology. Crispi's have GORE Duratherm XL Kelvin (~800 g). Kenetrek's have 1000g 3M Thinsulate and Cabela's Instinct have 600g Gore Tex Primaloft.

My questions are: How do these different insulators compare to each other? Is 600g Primaloft as warm as 1000g Thinsulate? Is 800g Gore Duratherm Kelvin as warm as the Primaloft? Etc...

Making this purchase for first Elk hunt in Montana mid November. My feet run cold and rarely sweat. Also want these boots for midwest treestand stationary hunting.

I ordered all three to try on at home. So far, Crispi are most comfortable, seem well made but appear somewhat less durable than the other two and even with their ABSS (ankle support) seems to not be as stiff or offer as much lateral support. Kenetrek seem very well-made and durable, but have a very stiff arch support. Will probably be just fine after some break in. Cabela's Instinct was the biggest surprise of the three. Fit me very well, but not quite as comfy as the Crispi's. Appear to be not quite as well made or high quality as the others, but offer great lateral support and stiffness probably because they are approximately 1 inch taller. All three claim 10" height, but the Cabela's are noticeably 1" taller and that adds a great deal of support and they just feel very stable. Price is not an issue, but I did get the Cabela's for less than $400 with a veteran discount and the others are over $500 each so Cabela's present a great value if they will hold up.

I will probably be happy with any of the three but mainly wonder about the different forms of insulation and how they compare.

Thank you for your replies.

JohnB

WKR
I've had my eyes on some Wild Rock Plus all winter. I'm curious what you learn!

I haven't tried those specific boot but I have Lowa Tibets insulated with 400g of Primaloft and they are WARM. I can't imagine hiking at 800-1000 grams. Maybe sitting in a blind or something. The Lowas are on sale on their website FWIW.

7mm-08

WKR
Whatever boot you decide to buy, do yourself a favor and get a pair of Outdoor Reserach Crocodile gaiters to wear over your boots for a November elk hunt in MT. I know guys love Kuiu, Kennetrek and all sorts of other gaiters, but the OR ones have the best boot coverage, are made with very durable materials and work very well. Don't fall for the trap of buying OR's Expedition gaiters, they aren't nearly as good as the Crocodiles as their top cinch system sucks. And, no durable durable boot gaiter you ever buy will be quiet.

More responsively to your post, I'm a huge Lowa fan and the Tibets with 400 grams of insulation are my winter wolf hunting boot.

For cold weather treestand hunting, get yourself a pair of boot blankets and throw in a handwarmer to keep your feet toasty.