Boot Gaiters Tall and Waterproof type vs. Shorter/Breathables

I've used many of the heavier duty, taller boot gaiters over the years for hiking and hunting (OR Crocs, Kuiu, Mtn. HW...etc). While they work great and do what I've needed, I find that many times when I'm hiking, I prefer to not wear them since they make my legs and feet get extra warm. I'm pondering the move over to the shorter/breathable type gaiters similar to the Sitka Flash or Kuiu Scree type. Can anyone give me some first hand experience and comments on the shorter gaiters and downfalls vs. the tall models. I typically don't cross streams in my boots/gaiters, so that's not an issue for me. Breathability and functionality is. I'd rather not carry an extra pound of gaiter in my pack when I stow gaiters for long river valley hikes. Thanks for any input.

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
do you walk in taller grass in the morning when dew is all over? that's when I like the tall gaiters the most because it keeps my lower pants and socks from getting soaked. but I do hear ya, the tall gaiters can get toasty warm when you don't want them to.

OP
S
I typically am not in very tall grass, but do appreciate the tall models when I am for sure.

Laker

FNG
I have the firstlite tall gaiters and am very happy with them, however I know they will be overkill for summer hiking. So I have also been looking for short gaiters. I saw the Rab Scree model on line and they seem like a nice light breathable gaiter. Might give them a try. As the Sitka Flash have had some negative reviews regarding the plastic buckles breaking.

OP
S
Thanks Laker. The first thing I thought about when I saw the Sitka models was that plastic buckle. I've bent up the metal one's on other gaiters and my first thought was that I'd destroy that Sitka plastic buckle. On one pair of my gaiters, I completely removed the metal buckle and sewed the strap in a permanent/fixed position. I only use them with one or two pairs of boots and the length I sewed it to works great.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I use is shorter gaiters- OR Flex-Tex with boots and OR Ultra Trails with trail runners- that's year round (Mtn West)

Meet in the middle. RAB Latok gaiters have eVent uppers. I had the same problem you described with my last pair but the RABs breathe well enough and are light enough that I don't sweat in them much, if at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OR Flex-Tex originals were great but are no longer available and the Flex-Tex II is awful not sure how they went that far backward on a great design and product. The Kuiu Scree is actually everything that was good about the Flex-Tex with some even better added features. They have a slightly sticky silicone ring to keep pants in place and not pull out. I like the shape of the scree just slightly more as well. Both are fantastic and I highly recommend either. Sitka is a bad design with the plastic buckle right where you step on rocks and logs as well as not being able to open it up. You have to put it on before your boot because it is just a tube. The First Lite short gaiters are so incredibly small some little kids wouldn't even be able to wear the larges around their legs. I know the First Lite is supposed to not go over your pants but even the large I couldn't even come close to getting around my lower leg at the smallest point.