Boot recommendations for Montana General Elk?

Putting in for a Montana general tag for next year with Colorado as a backup. Looking for boot recommendations. Insulated vs non insulated? If so how much? Should I look at pack boots?

Hunted Antelope in western Montana last October. My Merrel WP MOABs worked, but after hunting all day in the rain they weren’t so waterproof.

slowelk

WKR
Don't buy pack boots, your feet will be toast after a day of any serious hiking. I like 400g of insulation from November on, but my feet run cold. Opener can be warm, so insulation isn't needed until snow falls.
If you're a generally warm-blooded person you can go non-insulated and layer up your socks. If you have the funds, buy both non-insulated and insulated.

stevevan

WKR
Don't buy pack boots, your feet will be toast after a day of any serious hiking. I like 400g of insulation from November on, but my feet run cold. Opener can be warm, so insulation isn't needed until snow falls.
If you're a generally warm-blooded person you can go non-insulated and layer up your socks. If you have the funds, buy both non-insulated and insulated.
I use Schnees 200 gr. insulated. They're made right there in Bozeman so they know what's best for Montana hunting.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I use Schnees 200 gr. insulated. They're made right there in Bozeman so they know what's best for Montana hunting.

Ive had Schnees and I cant disagree more. If you put miles on them, they fall apart and their customer service is terrible.

Insulated and non-insulated is a personal preference. I wear non-insulated all year.

ZJARCHER

FNG
+1 for Crispis
I used to go through 3-4 pairs of boots per year and finally coughed up the money for a couple pair of Crispis. August through January hunts in the boots and they still look brand new. Short break in (if any)

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Crispis
I used to go through 3-4 pairs of boots per year and finally coughed up the money for a couple pair of Crispis. August through January hunts in the boots and they still look brand new. Short break in (if any)
What model Crispis do you hunt in?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ZJARCHER

FNG
I have a pair of Briksdals and a pair of Wild Rocks. I wear the Briksdals for most conditions, though the Wild Rocks were really nice on the late elk hunts this year.

I would look for an all leather boot from any reputable manufacturer. If you are moving much you should be fine with uninsulated but if your feet are normally cold then look into 200-400 gram insulation. Brand is really all about what your feet like. Salomon is going to be closest to the
Merrell Moab but they are proven to not be waterproof and not that warm In the snow. Don’t know what happened above to rust with Schnees but I can assure you without going into my boring story their customer service is great and they will go out of their way and bend over backwards to make sure the boots you buy from them work for you and you are happy. I had a tough time with Crispi customer service but it was with their previous US distributor and not black Ovis. Kenetrek is a very specific foot fit and it does not work for most people I know unless you wear 2 super thick or 3 pairs of socks which is what they recommend. Lowa makes good boots but their heel is much wider than Schnees. Listen to a few podcasts from the Lathrop guys and you will learn a lot about how boots should fit and feel. Hunt Backcountry Podcast had a good one with them a few years ago. Biggest thing is to start going and trying boots on or ordering and returning.

tntrker

WKR
I bought a pair of Schnee's Hunter II's for my Montana hunt. Loved them. Use Kenetrek Canada Midweight sock with their Ultimate lightweight Liner sock. Never had an issue when it was 50 or when it snowed into the teens.

dtrkyman

WKR
Asolo are the best I’ve used, basically comes down to fit, you must go try some on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

Don't bother wearing whatever you wear for whitetail, mule, antelope, bear or yule elk, Montana elk hunting requires a totally different boot, totally different game. Each game species requires a specific boot, along with pack, camo scheme, and rifle caliber, duh. :rolleyes:

Tons of brands out there, but look to spend over $200 for good boots. Usually or gore-tex liner or the like is gonna make them waterproof, the less seams the better (cheap hiking boots have seams galore). Comfort is key, don't want your feet hurting. I go un-insulated, I'd rather change my sock weight depending on the weather. My feet get hot, so insulated boots means sweat, the wet, then cold.

Okhotnik

WKR
Ive had Schnees and I cant disagree more. If you put miles on them, they fall apart and their customer service is terrible.

Insulated and non-insulated is a personal preference. I wear non-insulated all year.

Had the same experience. Shame as I like the company

Go non insulated

11bhank

FNG
Can’t say enough good things about the crispi Briksdals. 200 gram insulation and I never find my feet getting too hot or cold. The insulation location and type is really efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.whitesboots.com/#/product/2382

Whites Dri-foot boot uninsulated is what I bought two years ago now and I love them. My feet tend to run on the warm side so I just wear a medium wool sock in the boot and my feet stay comfortable all day. I hunted elk, antelope, and deer and they were outstanding! Feet stayed plenty warm and dry, and the boots were very comfortable. Whites has a boot sole they call the Montana Claw and it is the BEST boot sole for traction in all conditions that I have found. The sole on the Schnee's Hunter II, the air-bob sole is second only to the Whites soles. I also have the Schnee's Hunter II boot and really like them a lot. They have stood up to an awful lot of hard hunting miles and I really enjoy like them. I use them when conditions are a lot colder and there is more snow on the ground.

https://schnees.com/hunter-ii/

David

tntrker

WKR
I apologize for your negative experiences. Could you PM me some specifics? This is highly uncommon and doesn't sit well with me. I'd like to learn more and make it right if possible.

Matt

I was shocked when I read that myself. I'm VERY pleased with mine. When I showed up and the guide had time to get a read on me, he said " you did do your homework." He was wearing the same ones..