Boot system for Alaska

I am going to Kodiak in October for Caribou/Blacktail. For those of you that have been to Kodiak, what kind of boot setup would you suggest?

We will be hunting for 10 days...4-5 days will be a drop in hunt on the interior of the island for Caribou - we will be in tents. We will be chasing blacktails from an outfitters lodge, so we can dry out every evening during that part of the hunt.

I am pretty sure we will be doing a fair bit of hiking, so I can't imagine having rubber boots on the whole time.

My thought was to take two pair of good leather boots (I have Crispi's and Lowa's already) so I can rotate the pairs to give them ample time to dry, paired with a good set of gaiters. But...every time I turn on the TV and see an alaskan hunting show, they are in rubber/"muck" boots.

Take what you've got and you'll be fine. Not a bad idea to take some rubber boots, if wt. will allow, but what you have should be good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inupiat1

FNG
Depends on how boggy it is. I used Cabela's Hunter's jeans (goretex waders with hiking boot boot) on my Alaska moose hunt. They kept me warm and I didn't overheat at Lake Minchumina.
If water isn't a problem, then your plan might work.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

kodiakfly

WKR
You'll be fine with what you've got. "Typically" caribou terrain isn't too aggressive here and you'll be fine for blacktails. Bring rubber boots if you can. Nice to have them available should the need arise. Despite the less gnarly terrain, still bring trekking poles.

OP
B
Ok, thanks guys. I've been looking at the weather patterns and kodiak in late October looks like about a 70% chance of precipitation on average, so I'm planning for some wet weather.

kodiakfly

WKR
LOL...no matter the time of year, plan on 100% chance of rain. Seriously though, I'm not sure what the chart says, but you can count on 70% chance any day of the year. Also plan on 1/2" in a day to happen every day. Could be clear and sun, but plan on the rain.

OP
B
LOL...no matter the time of year, plan on 100% chance of rain. Seriously though, I'm not sure what the chart says, but you can count on 70% chance any day of the year. Also plan on 1/2" in a day to happen every day. Could be clear and sun, but plan on the rain.

I hear ya! I am nervous about the tent portion of the hunt...id feel way better if I knew we'd be going back to wall tents and a stove, but that ain't happening. So...not to derail my own thread in the footwear forum, but what rain gear would you have on you if money was not a limit? I have Sitka cloudburst that has been on me in some pretty gnarly weather and has done great, but is it Alaska weather worthy?

kodiakfly

WKR
Your Sitka is fine. I typically wear Stormfront or the Dewpoint if I'm going UL. Assuming you're flying, but if you're on a Beaver and weight isn't a huge issue, never hurts to take some HellyHanson Impertech or even Grundens. Take as much weight as they'll let you take.

As far as tents, just a good tent is reasonable. Yeah, it gets nuts here but to read online you'd think everyone sees 75 mph winds on every hunt. Yes, those winds happen, but the 25-35 is FAR more common. It's like sea state...everyone loves to say they had their skiff out in 6'ers but chances are it was really 2-3's. Wind is the same way...a 35 kt wind sounds like your tent is coming apart. Ive been in some strong winds, but pretty sure I've never camped in excess of 45/50. If the outfitter is providing tents, well then, that's your tent. But if you're doing the tent, I use Hillebergs and Mountain Hardwear 4 season or UL tents. Just bring a reputable 3-4 season shelter and you'll be ok. Floorless works here just fine too. And heck, if you have the weight, bring a Little Buddy heater!

Don't forget the wind! Plan on 100% chance of strong wind at least 20% of the time with a 50% chance of hurricane strength winds prevailing, at least once, 80% of the time during the month of October.

Seriously though, October is notorious for big storms with major wind and precipitation. Nothing to be afraid of, just make sure you plan accordingly and bring proper gear.

Last edited:

tuffcity

WKR
If you need a pair of "rubber" boots to hike around in have a look at the Muck boot. Surprisingly comfortable to wander around in.

RC