Boots for Heel Issues

LIbow31

FNG
So after years of trying boots (lower end off the shelf boots) and years of pain and trying to figure out why i can never find a pair that doesn't end up causing pain, no matter what kind of boots, I've self diagnosed that I have Haglund's deformity on both heels (also because I'm bored and finally have time to look into stuff like that). I haven't been able to find much on the forums about what others have dine to help with this. Has anyone had any experience with this or similar? Any certain brands of boots that you've found had worked? or any products you've found that help? any help would be appreciated as it makes a 2 week long hunt pretty rough after the first couple of days.

I'd try contacting Whites or Hoffmans boots. Both would help figure out what would work for you and they both build excellent boots. I have a pair of the Whites Outdoorsman boots with the Montana Claw lug sole and they are outstanding. At Whites they will tell you how to precisely measure your feet and actually build a boot too fit your feet.

I have the same condition.

Easiest path would be to buy Silipos Achilles Heel pads. Makes any boot work with your heels. I wish I would’ve bought them to begin with honestly - if yours are as bad as mine I don’t think you’re going to find a boot that will actually work. Mine protrude too much... I’d find a boot that worked great in my living room but once I hit the trails it fell apart quickly and my heels hurt or blistered.

If you’re hellbent on trying to make a pair of boots work look into some heavy duty shoe covers. I ended up buying a pair to tryout boots(because I was hard headed at first).

OP
L

LIbow31

FNG

Easiest path would be to buy Silipos Achilles Heel pads. Makes any boot work with your heels. I wish I would’ve bought them to begin with honestly - if yours are as bad as mine I don’t think you’re going to find a boot that will actually work. Mine protrude too much... I’d find a boot that worked great in my living room but once I hit the trails it fell apart quickly and my heels hurt or blistered.

If you’re hellbent on trying to make a pair of boots work look into some heavy duty shoe covers. I ended up buying a pair to tryout boots(because I was hard headed at first).

By the looks of it, it seems like mine are on the worse side just looking at examples of what it looks like. So i think we may be in the same boat. What do those pads do? do they take the pressure points off?

By the looks of it, it seems like mine are on the worse side just looking at examples of what it looks like. So i think we may be in the same boat. What do those pads do? do they take the pressure points off?

they take the pressure off and keep them from blistering. It sucks having to have something like that but for people with our condition outside of surgery it’s one of the only choices if you want to wear traditional boots.

Extrapale

WKR

Did you get the gel Achilles heel sleeve?

86039443544e8fdb872ba230b202b7a9.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Did you get the gel Achilles heel sleeve?

86039443544e8fdb872ba230b202b7a9.jpg

This is the one I got. I hear the cheaper ones are hit or miss as far as quality goes. The Silipos ones actually will stay put on your foot.

With that said, I’m just passing on second hand info - the cheaper ones might be okay, I have no personal experience with them.

OP
L

LIbow31

FNG
I ended up ordering the Silipos one Jeff recommenced. Ordered yesterday and due to come in next week. I did also find this Video which i may try out the Taping technique and see if that does me any good.

Extrapale

WKR

This is the one I got. I hear the cheaper ones are hit or miss as far as quality goes. The Silipos ones actually will stay put on your foot.

With that said, I’m just passing on second hand info - the cheaper ones might be okay, I have no personal experience with them.
Thanks. I see my picture was pretty pixelated. It was a picture of the $20 Silipos sleeve.

I am not sure I have this condition, but I have protruded heals and have battled blisters forever. So far Leukotape has been the only solution.

Have you found this product to be durable? Would you expect it to last on a 5 day backpacking trip? A 10 day hunt?

I've got probably 30-40 miles on the ones I have currently with no issues. I only wear them with boots - if I can wear trail runners I will opt for those over boots. Sometimes, boots are the only thing that works though(especially springtime hunts).

I got the tip off from a guy on a mountaineering forum about the heel pads. He has the same issue as us and suggested them. The fellow puts over a hundred miles a year on his set. He did mention that he has to buy a new set every year/year and a half. It sucks I guess, but the other option is blisters or no boots.

Extrapale

WKR
I've got probably 30-40 miles on the ones I have currently with no issues. I only wear them with boots - if I can wear trail runners I will opt for those over boots. Sometimes, boots are the only thing that works though(especially springtime hunts).

I got the tip off from a guy on a mountaineering forum about the heel pads. He has the same issue as us and suggested them. The fellow puts over a hundred miles a year on his set. He did mention that he has to buy a new set every year/year and a half. It sucks I guess, but the other option is blisters or no boots.
Thanks for the info. My set arrived today. I have a scouting trip to Idaho next weekend to try them out a little.

OP
L

LIbow31

FNG
Figured i’d toss up a little update. Just got home from my surgery to remove the bone and tissue on my right heel. the pads didn’t do a whole lot i think i was just past the point of that. have it on my left heel so going to try the pad on that one to delay needed to get that one operated on also hopefully till after the season. if anyone’s looking into it, super simple surgery for me. it wasn’t far under the achilles so they didn’t have to cut much away. surgery was at 10, was back home an hour away by 1 oclock

Extrapale

WKR
Figured i’d toss up a little update. Just got home from my surgery to remove the bone and tissue on my right heel. the pads didn’t do a whole lot i think i was just past the point of that. have it on my left heel so going to try the pad on that one to delay needed to get that one operated on also hopefully till after the season. if anyone’s looking into it, super simple surgery for me. it wasn’t far under the achilles so they didn’t have to cut much away. surgery was at 10, was back home an hour away by 1 oclock
Back to full strength now?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Extrapale

WKR
Follow up on my heel pads.

They worked good in my Lowa Renegades for light duty stuff.

Two days antelope hunting in my Kenetreks, and they were destroyed.

Back to Leukotape for me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
L

LIbow31

FNG
yep was getting back to full strength and workouts around 7-8 weeks after surgery. still some scar tissue but that will take some time. few big hikes successfully done without a problem already

I have the Haglund's Deformity, aka "pump bumps," on both heels. For whatever reason only the one on my left heel bothers me. I did have a broken calcaneus several years ago and the bump is roughly where I had a screw placed for about a year to fix that bone.

I picked up a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes this summer as they felt the best of all the boots I tried on. I thought I had them broken in sufficiently but a 12 mile scout in very steep country yesterday proved otherwise. Luckily I had a Silipos gel sleeve in my pack and put it on halfway through the hike and it was instant relief. I need to try one on another long day from the beginning of the hike and see if it prevents the issue from ever happening. The problem only happens when I have lots of straight up terrain to cover, a long hike on trails never bothers it.

It took me a while to realize, it's not rubbing and blistering that is happening, it's pressure and bruising of that bone. So taping doesn't help the issue, only padding.

I have the Haglund's Deformity, aka "pump bumps," on both heels. For whatever reason only the one on my left heel bothers me. I did have a broken calcaneus several years ago and the bump is roughly where I had a screw placed for about a year to fix that bone.

I picked up a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes this summer as they felt the best of all the boots I tried on. I thought I had them broken in sufficiently but a 12 mile scout in very steep country yesterday proved otherwise. Luckily I had a Silipos gel sleeve in my pack and put it on halfway through the hike and it was instant relief. I need to try one on another long day from the beginning of the hike and see if it prevents the issue from ever happening. The problem only happens when I have lots of straight up terrain to cover, a long hike on trails never bothers it.

It took me a while to realize, it's not rubbing and blistering that is happening, it's pressure and bruising of that bone. So taping doesn't help the issue, only padding.

Mine are bad enough that most boots will not completely lock one or both of my heels. I think my left one is worse as that’s the one that never locks... but you’re right, sometimes it’s a pressure issue instead of friction. In fact, that was my gripe with the Salewas I tried. They just downright hurt my heels, it wasn’t blisters but just intense pressure.

It sucks to hear about the guy above that had bad luck with the pads. I’m still on the same pair with no issues. I would say maybe I’ve gotten lucky but my luck is never that good.😂

Krem

FNG
Bringing this back to life.

After getting a pair on kennetrek desert guides I discovered I have a terrible pump hump on my right heel. Boots feel amazing on flats and descents but any climb is unbearable. I haven't contacted kennetrek yet to see if they have any advice. Any updates from other bum footed fellas?