Boots for Mule deer hunt

I need some recommendations and opinions on boots for a Nebraska mule deer hunt mid November. The guy I’m going with has been multiple times and said the temp has been anywhere from 9 to 70 in November the years he has gone. So I’m definitely taking my boots I use here in SC but I’m wanting to take another option in case it gets really cold. I’m not looking to spend a small fortune since I’ve already spent a ton preparing for this trip. I’m wondering how much insulation i would need. I’m currently looking at the Keen revel IV polar mid with 200g and the high with 400g. Just wondering what y’all think? We should be doing a lot of walking and periods of sitting and glassing.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking to save money I'd buy some quality socks for the temp ranges and/or boot blankets. The boot blankets slip on over your boots when stationary and can be picked up from Scheels or Cabelas.

Kirk185

FNG
Walking or standing? Will make a big difference. Some pack boots now have the option of using heat packs in them which is a nice backup.

I wear the same boots for whatever temp range if I'm walking and spotting or stalking, usually just change my socks for the temps. I'm really digging my Hoka hiking boots. They are the most comfortable I've tried. I've had Solomon boots and meindl boots that were both decent as well. If I'm still hunting for whitetails then that's a different story. I usually go with heavy duty socks and insulated muck boots.

dtrkyman

WKR
I used artic shield boot insulators over non insulated hikers when guiding in South Dakota in Nov. Teens in the mornings and 50s through the day mostly. Really light, packable and warm!

Use them for most of my Mountain hunts as well, I hate heavy boots!

Wapiti1

WKR
My rule of thumb for boots: 30F+ no insulation, adjust with socks, 10-30FF go with 400grams and socks, Deep snow and temps below 30F take the pac boots.

When sitting and glassing, loosen your laces. It will allow more blood flow to your feet and make a world of difference keeping your feet warm. Snug them up when you get back to hiking.

Jeremy

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the same boots for whatever temp range if I'm walking and spotting or stalking, usually just change my socks for the temps. I'm really digging my Hoka hiking boots. They are the most comfortable I've tried. I've had Solomon boots and meindl boots that were both decent as well. If I'm still hunting for whitetails then that's a different story. I usually go with heavy duty socks and insulated muck boots.
Similar taste as you here. My Hoka's lasted one backpacking/hunting season.

Similar taste as you here. My Hoka's lasted one backpacking/hunting season.
Yeah that seems to be the trade off with the Hoka's. They're not crazy expensive like a lot of other more heavy duty boots but they don't last as long either.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah that seems to be the trade off with the Hoka's. They're not crazy expensive like a lot of other more heavy duty boots but they don't last as long either.
Which ones were you running? I was using the Anacapa. They were comfy, but the toe box was really soft and easy to bang your feet up in. The soles are foam with some vibram rubber on the lugs and tear up super easy. Basically a running shoe with a higher cuff.

Which ones were you running? I was using the Anacapa. They were comfy, but the toe box was really soft and easy to bang your feet up in. The soles are foam with some vibram rubber on the lugs and tear up super easy. Basically a running shoe with a higher cuff.
The speedgoat mid GTX can't remember if they are the 4 or 5

The speedgoat mid GTX can't remember if they are the 4 or 5
The Kaha 2 is supposed to be really similar to the speedgoat and anacapa but be a more durable boot. Supposedly.

I'm looking around at some of the lighter weight hiking boots/sneakers right now so I've been doing a ton of reading on them.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

The Kaha 2 is supposed to be really similar to the speedgoat and anacapa but be a more durable boot. Supposedly.

I'm looking around at some of the lighter weight hiking boots/sneakers right now so I've been doing a ton of reading on them.

As far as comfort and weight, you can't beat them. I packed an elk out on my back with the speedgoats on last year and didn't have any issues.

As far as comfort and weight, you can't beat them. I packed an elk out on my back with the speedgoats on last year and didn't have any issues.
Yep- I intend on trying out a pair of Hokas or La Sportiva Ultra Raptors to test out this year or next. I'm used to hunting in Hanwag Alaskans, which are akin to having boat anchors tied to your feet so the weight savings should be a welcome change.