Boots for PNW Coast/Desert

After last season's elk hunt on the coastal range when I took a bad spill I'm open to new boots, and not sure I can get what I want in a single pair. I hunt around Oregon year round, from the summer through the snowy winter. Our winters normally don't get terribly cold, maybe in the 10's at worst, usually in the 20's.

Out West, hunting season is wet and maybe in the 50's, and we're scrambling up deadfall, logs and branches. It's really slippery stuff and we almost had some bad accidents in a gnarly climb we did last year, and I'd like some boots that do well on the slick stuff if possible. I also hunt Eastern Oregon more than out West, where it's more high desert, walking on grasslands with volcanic rock as the substrate, so you usually aren't taking a very flat step where we hunt. There are also some pretty steep canyon drops we go up/down.

I'm a pretty fit guy with big legs, and boots with some weight don't bother me, but I'd like to keep weight in check. I have a set of Altra trail runners and I really don't like them for anything but casual flat trails with no weight, I know that I want a boot.

I've been running the Salomon Quest 4D GTX for a few years and they've held up well, been comfortable on the 10+ mile days, kept my feet dry (mostly from walking through wet brush, we don't hit many creek crossings), and given pretty good support and traction. On the volcanic rock I'm left sometimes wishing I had a bit more support in my boot so my foot could stay straighter instead of rolling over to a new angle with every step. On the wet logs I wish I had more traction, and on really cold days I wish my feet were warmer, though my feet have a good operating range of temperatures before they feel hot or cold.

I've looked at the Kenetrek Hardscrabbles and the Crispi Guides, and those seem like a lot of boot with a big price tag. I'm happy to buy used boots and try them out. What would you guys recommend? Are there any boots that fit this use range?

OP
U
I have a used set of Kenetrek Desert Guides on the way to try an oddball option, I'm going to wax them and see how they do. I've never had that good of an experience with Goretex when the boots really get wet so I'm trying an unlined boot.

I'm going to try to find a used set of Guides, Mtn Extremes or Nevadas if I can too.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
I do the same hunting as you. Eastern Oregon for elk most years and blacktail or elk in the valley or coast. I have Zamberlans 996 vioz for west side and I think crispi Colorado or altitude for east side next year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt Western WA for bear and hit the east side of the state for upland bird. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's have been great for me. The 10" upper gets a little warm early season, but as we get into later fall I prefer the taller height. There's not a boot out there that's got a sole that's good for Western WA/OR conditions, so I always carry microspikes. Decided to try something different this year and just bought a pair of Crispi Briksdal MTN GTX's. I don't have any miles on them yet, but they seem like they'll be a solid choice if they hold up.

Spoonman

WKR
I really like the Scarpa Ribella HD boots. They are pretty stiff but very durable and very waterproof in my experience. I hunt western Wa, Idaho, Montana, PA.

DRUSS

WKR
1pr would be a tough decision for me. Maybe a Crispi Briksdahl or Thor. But when it gets wet I prefer a taller boot, that's when I use my Kennetrek mtn extreme NI or 400gr weather and activities dictate which. But with these 4 options I cover a lot. I do like softer soles for Bow season though. The Altitude or Lapponia are great, also the Hardscrabble or Lowa Renegade or Lowa Camino

geterdone

FNG
Kenetrek guide 400s will cover most of that, they do have a hard rubber sole, so ice is a little slippery, but wet ground is just fine. The 400s can get a little warm in the early hunts, but once the weather drops into the 40s and 50s they are great all the way down to 0. I wear the thinner kenetrek socks when warmer and heavy socks when colder. Allows me to have 1 boot and take on a wider range of temperatures.

Use the kenetrek wax as soon as you get the boots and apply it often, they will stay dry that way.

I have buddies running crispis and they have nothing bad to say about them. Slightly softer sole and support but still great for everything oregon has to offer.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Scorpion

WKR
For hunting the PNW and coastal areas of Alaska & BC, I’d highly consider either a pair of calked Meindl’s from Hoffman’s or a stiff soled boot with a set of Kahtoola micro spikes or hiking cramp ons.

For the desert, I generally prefer a synthetic boot with a grippy sole. Hard to find non-GTX lined boots but I really liked my Salewa Ravens for Sonora deer hunting.