Boots with leather lining and clammy wetness

gostovp

WKR
So I have a pair of HanWag Alaska GTX that fit me great. Wore them early season this year and feet did awesome other than the boot does run warm… not a huge deal except that boot has leather lining on the inside near the top cuff. Obviously in warm weather this wets out with sweat, and the leather lining doesn’t dry out overnight… leading to a nice cold clammy leather lining in the morning. I was thinking of getting a Grakksaw backcountry boot dryer to help alleviate this…
Any thoughts or feedback on this boot dryer? Or any other ideas / thoughts on drying that leather out?

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Goldbond foot powder has help me in the past with similar issues the foot powder will pull moisture from the boot and evaporate it quicker.

wildcat33

WKR
An old trick is to loosely stuff newspaper in your boots. But I rarely have newspaper in the backcountry. Another trick to try is fill a nalgene with boiling water and put it in your boots. The heat helps evap some moisture, and at a minimum warms them up before you put them on so they dont suck the heat out of your feet.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Goldbond foot powder has help me in the past with similar issues the foot powder will pull moisture from the boot and evaporate it quicker.
So put the foot powder right in the boot?

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Yup put the foot powder right in the boot when I was overseas and in Africa we did this all the time when ever we had the chance to take the boots off. Sprinkle it in the boot and especially on the wet tongue. Dryer sheets work as well to help with moisture.
So put the foot powder right in the boot?

My current solution is a pair of seal skinz socks.

I have tried hand warmers but didn't work great.

Try a loftier sock. That cuff on the boot can’t hold that much moisture and you shouldn’t feel it on your foot.

My feet always used to be cold and clammy, then I went away from dense wool socks like Darn Touch boot socks and moved more toward Bridgedale, Gore, Farm to feet Madison, anything with a loftier weave and my feet stay dry/warm now. Boots are the same.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Try a loftier sock. That cuff on the boot can’t hold that much moisture and you shouldn’t feel it on your foot.

My feet always used to be cold and clammy, then I went away from dense wool socks like Darn Touch boot socks and moved more toward Bridgedale, Gore, Farm to feet Madison, anything with a loftier weave and my feet stay dry/warm now. Boots are the same.
This is interesting… normally Darn Tough are highly recommended (and I have many pairs), but I can see what you mean by having more loft.
I guess after putting the boots on it isn’t so bad, but slipping them on in the morning sucks lol

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
This is interesting… normally Darn Tough are highly recommended (and I have many pairs), but I can see what you mean by having more loft.
I guess after putting the boots on it isn’t so bad, but slipping them on in the morning sucks lol
almost all of my socks are a wool blend sock but they are very soft knit and very fluffy for lack of better terms I feel that they tend to dry better than say my browning or carhartt socks as well the wool doesnt keep the moisture in them in general they dry easy and if I get a hole I can just darn them up and keep using them I have a few pairs that have some red wool yarn patches stitched in them the wife calls my Christmas socks lol