Leather Lined boots/ Hanwag Yukons- anyone?

Anyone have any experience with leather lined boots like the hanwag yukons? How does leather lining compare to gtx? Will leather be a better environment for sweaty feet?

Seems the hanwag alaska and yukon are very similar boots with the major difference being the lining. I'm trying to decide between the 2 styles but can't find much info about leather lining - specifically the pros or cons of it. Any feedback is appreciated.

My guess is that the leather lined boots will fit your foot a lot better but you'll definitely wanna throw them on the boot dryer at the end of the day. When leather gets wet it kinda stays that way.

I daily wear a "casual" leather lined boot and if I wear them a few days in a row, they feel like they're stifling my feet, so i'll either put them on the boot dryer overnight or not wear them a few days

I have 2 pair of Crispi boots that are leather lined, I have no problems with them. They are gtx as well and have been reliably waterproof. Have not noticed any extra sweaty feet and I wear the boots multiple days sometimes.

OP
S
My guess is that the leather lined boots will fit your foot a lot better but you'll definitely wanna throw them on the boot dryer at the end of the day. When leather gets wet it kinda stays that way.

I daily wear a "casual" leather lined boot and if I wear them a few days in a row, they feel like they're stifling my feet, so i'll either put them on the boot dryer overnight or not wear them a few days
That makes sense. There hasn't been a day in probably 15 years that I haven't put my boots on the peet when I got home, so that's already baked into my routine. I also recall reading that leather lined boots "conform" to the foot during the break-in period providing a more comfortable fit. I don't have any reservations there.

I think my biggest question is still how well they will "breathe" or transfer moisture away from my feet during use compared to a comparable full leather gtx lined boot.

OP
S
I have 2 pair of Crispi boots that are leather lined, I have no problems with them. They are gtx as well and have been reliably waterproof. Have not noticed any extra sweaty feet and I wear the boots multiple days sometimes.
So would you say they aren't noticeably different when it comes to perceived breathability or moisture retention? Considering you have 2 pairs, you must like um!

mgmicky

FNG
I have 2 pairs of Lowa leather lined boots (no GTX). I prefer them 90% of the time where I hunt/hike (Appalachian Mountains) because they breathe better, and maybe it’s in my head, but they just feel more comfortable to me than the GTX boots. I’ve been through many rainshowers and quick stream crossings and never had a leak, and the Tibets are 5 years old. I treat the exterior once or twice a year with beeswax dressing, but have never done anything to the interior leather. If I know I’m going to be in swamps or wet snow, then the GTX boots come out.

OP
S
I have 2 pairs of Lowa leather lined boots (no GTX). I prefer them 90% of the time where I hunt/hike (Appalachian Mountains) because they breathe better, and maybe it’s in my head, but they just feel more comfortable to me than the GTX boots. I’ve been through many rainshowers and quick stream crossings and never had a leak, and the Tibets are 5 years old. I treat the exterior once or twice a year with beeswax dressing, but have never done anything to the interior leather. If I know I’m going to be in swamps or wet snow, then the GTX boots come out.
How long have you had them and have you noticed any breakdown of the lining?
I would think that repetitive introduction of sweat/ moisture combined with flexing, and then drying out without ever applying some type of conditioner would decrease longevity. But maybe I'm totally wrong here with that train of thought.

I have yukon and ancash LL.

I prefer LL over a membrane. Boots dry quicker and feet stay drier. No issues with dew. I also cross steams etc with no issue. With LL you need to be a little more diligent on treating the leather though. Kind of like seasoning cast iron, Proper maintain makes a huge difference in performance

These are +- 6 years and have been resoled 3 times and 4th it needed new mid sole. hence different mid and rand.

Only issue Ive had was the top cuff eventually separated, it was an easy fix for cobbler IMG_4267.jpegIMG_4268.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4268.jpeg
    IMG_4268.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 11

mgmicky

FNG
How long have you had them and have you noticed any breakdown of the lining?
I would think that repetitive introduction of sweat/ moisture combined with flexing, and then drying out without ever applying some type of conditioner would decrease longevity. But maybe I'm totally wrong here with that train of thought.
I’ve had a pair of Tibets for over 6 years. I’ve never treated the interior lining and there are not even any wear marks, let alone breakdown.

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
S

I prefer LL over a membrane. Boots dry quicker and feet stay drier. No issues with dew. I also cross steams etc with no issue. With LL you need to be a little more diligent on treating the leather though. Kind of like seasoning cast iron, Proper maintain makes a huge difference in performance
Thanks for the feedback! I am diligent about boot care so this resonates with me,

OP
S
I’ve had a pair of Tibets for over 6 years. I’ve never treated the interior lining and there are not even any wear marks, let alone breakdown.
Okay... I'm sold! That lining looks about new. Based on that, it wouldn't surprise me if the boot breaks down on the outside or needs to be resoled long before the lining wears out. Thanks for the feedback!

I tore the leather lining at the top of my heel pocket in my leather lined Lowas this year. It was wet and steep with a heavy pack, so it was probably not the right boot at the time. I intend to order another pair and see if I get this one repaired.

FWIW, I always treat the exterior with Obenauf's and give the inside a quick wipe as well.

The leather lining is definitely more comfortable in hot weather than Gore-tex.

OP
S
I tore the leather lining at the top of my heel pocket in my leather lined Lowas this year. It was wet and steep with a heavy pack, so it was probably not the right boot at the time. I intend to order another pair and see if I get this one repaired.

FWIW, I always treat the exterior with Obenauf's and give the inside a quick wipe as well.

The leather lining is definitely more comfortable in hot weather than Gore-tex.
Thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on a pair of Hanwag yukons. I'm hopeful that they will be a little cooler wearing than my gtx lined boots based on yours and others accounts. Time will tell if it was a good choice!

kylem

Lil-Rokslider

You say your leather lined boots dry quicker, my question is have you worn them dry or are you saying the dry quicker on a boot drier? I have terrible luck with membrane lined boots and they seem to always start leaking for me in wet brushy terrain. I'm tempted to try a pair of the leather lined yukon's with the thought that after a couple wet days, when the weather changes maybe I could wear them dry quicker on a backpack hunt than I could a membrane lined pair.

You say your leather lined boots dry quicker, my question is have you worn them dry or are you saying the dry quicker on a boot drier? I have terrible luck with membrane lined boots and they seem to always start leaking for me in wet brushy terrain. I'm tempted to try a pair of the leather lined yukon's with the thought that after a couple wet days, when the weather changes maybe I could wear them dry quicker on a backpack hunt than I could a membrane lined pair.
both- wore them dry and also in storage/off etc they dry quicker. Membrane holds water between the membrane and boot. leather liner does not