Bow string upgrade recommendations

samc

Lil-Rokslider
I used to highly recommend vapor trail, but I just bought a string last year and it is not lasting well at all. Don’t know why they changed, but I won’t be buying another.

All Prime bows in my house and all bowstrings are from Catfish Customs, very happy with the service and price. I also believe that the guy at Catfish shoots Prime, which increases my confidence in his product.

kda082

WKR
Another vote for Catfish Customs. Great strings at a great price. Had a set on my Chill R that were top notch, didn't budge after minimal shoot in.

Gumbo

WKR
I will be a third strike against vapor trail. Nothing but issues on the last two sets I've had (erratic peep rotation, serving separation, and bumps of string material blowing out from between serving wraps, major peep rotation issues at different temps). I just bought a jig and will be building my own from here on out. At least then when my cables and strings have issues I have no one to blame but myself!

fatlander

WKR
I’ve had great luck with twisted x and jbk. I just recently purchased a set from buckslayer and they’re very impressive so far.

Never heard a bad thing about catfish customs, but I’ve never personally used them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard nothing but good things about Catfish Customs so probably can't go wrong there, but I have no personal experience with them.

I put JBK strings on my bow a few years ago and they've been awesome.. 0 complaints!

I will add that I was a long-time user of Vapor Trail and started having issues which is why I switched.

I think the factory Prime Rival strings are very good. On my 3 season old Rival bought new the factory strings have stayed in tune after initial breakin. I have the “warranty” set there to install after I return from a Coues deer hunt.

On a used Rival I bought as a backup I installed the factory strings as the custom set that came on it had the bow out of spec and the serving was too large making my Easton nocks too tight on the string. Anyway, wasn’t impressed with the custom set at all.

Good luck with it!

EDW

FNG
I would highly recommend going to a custom bow shop. I would not recommend going to a box store. Few have anyone who can properly tune a bow no less install and setup a bow. Making your own strings is an option that I would think long and hard about. Trial and error will take some time and expense. Some issues you will encounter making your own strings are string stretch if not done properly during your build among other issues. I do not discourage building strings but I don't believe it is a good idea for making a set of strings every couple of years

kicker338

WKR
Another option Dave is to build your own strings and cables.

Its easier than you think. You build yourself a string jig [best if its adjustable for different size bows in case you change]- there are lots of plans available on the different archery sites.

You wrap the string however many strands you want, serve each end then serve the center. It literally takes about 1/2 hr once you have done one. You can play with the strand count- less is a faster bow but a little more stretch....more strands and no creep.

The trick to these is getting the right pre tension before install. I use a 50# weight to hang from my string while I wax it heavily with a chunk of leather to rub that wax in hard....then twist to perfect length and install.

A roll of BCY-X or 452X lasts a long time and cost per string is very little. The only downside IMO is if you want different color strands in your strings....then the up front cost for rolls of the different colors is a bigger up front cost that will take a long time to recover.

EDIT; another tip, mark the roll with the string material as if you have different rolls, once you remove packaging some of them aren't labelled.

LOL. It takes a little bit more than that but building ones own bow strings is not too difficult. It helps to have some mechanical understanding. A good string jig that can measure lbs helps as strings need to be stretched but I know of guys who will hang a 200lb weight on their strings to stretch them.

The best way by far to learn how to make strings is internet and youtube, the way I learned. I've been building my own for about 6yrs now and get a lot of satisfaction making my own. Also it allows you to experiment with all kinds of diff. color and strength lengths for tuning .

ILph4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tried a few different builders but have since stayed with JBK. Great threads and great guy to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last couple sets I've bought were from 60X. They seem to work okay. I make my own Flemish strings for my recurves, but endless loops don't seem like they would be that hard. Just the initial cost of the jig and a spool or two of bcy-x.

Making my own strings taught me a lot about materials and how a string can impact bow noise.

265fps

FNG
If you are a diy type. I would recommend building your own you will end up with a bow press and have a much better understanding of what to do if you have failures in the field.

Gumbo

WKR
Another option Dave is to build your own strings and cables.

Its easier than you think. You build yourself a string jig [best if its adjustable for different size bows in case you change]- there are lots of plans available on the different archery sites.

You wrap the string however many strands you want, serve each end then serve the center. It literally takes about 1/2 hr once you have done one. You can play with the strand count- less is a faster bow but a little more stretch....more strands and no creep.

The trick to these is getting the right pre tension before install. I use a 50# weight to hang from my string while I wax it heavily with a chunk of leather to rub that wax in hard....then twist to perfect length and install.

A roll of BCY-X or 452X lasts a long time and cost per string is very little. The only downside IMO is if you want different color strands in your strings....then the up front cost for rolls of the different colors is a bigger up front cost that will take a long time to recover.

EDIT; another tip, mark the roll with the string material as if you have different rolls, once you remove packaging some of them aren't labelled.

I just built my first set of strings and cables and if you can build a string in 1/2 hour you are WAY faster than I could ever be. I hope that you have good success using that method because if so I know mine will be dynamite!

TrW

FNG
Can someone point me towoard the pros and cons of the different materials? I’m looking to replace strings on a bowtec Realmx. Constance and durability in hunting conditions are my goal. Thanks

OR Archer

WKR
Can someone point me towoard the pros and cons of the different materials? I’m looking to replace strings on a bowtec Realmx. Constance and durability in hunting conditions are my goal. Thanks
Then go with 452X. It’s been the gold standard of materials for a long time. Little to no stretch or creep. Decent for abrasions. Lots of color options if that’s a concern.

jrc645

FNG
My prime rival 35 bow is definitely due for some new string / cables. What string/cable companies or specific recommendations do you guys recommend for accuracy and durability? Is it worth it to go to a custom archery shop or just go to good ol bass pro for installation? Any input is welcomed as I have only heard of winners choice but would be curious as to what my fellow roksliders find to be their go to AND why.

I shoot at 28.5 inch at 68lbs, shooting a 490 g axis arrow if that makes any difference.
Bass pro isn’t horrible if they are just putting on the string. They order from winners choice and installation is free if you order through the store. If you want the d loop and peep sight then I’d just go to a pro shop.