Bow tuning - rest versus sight

Okay newbie here, I have a question about tuning. I've read all about paper tuning and walk back tuning. Done both. Also of course did some tuning with sights. My question is if you're shooting is off left or right at a distance, say 20 or 30 yards, why do you tune with the rest and not the sight? Isn't the goal to essentially align the path of the arrow from string to rest in parallel and in line with the sight and so as a result couldn't that be achieved by either moving the rest or moving the sight left/right?

Geewhiz

WKR
The way I understand it, and this could be way off, but you "tune" a (compound) bow by moving the rest so that the string pushes the nock of the arrow in a direct line through the rest. As opposed to the rest being either right or left of where the string is pushing the nock. This allows you to get perfect arrow flight. ( think paper tuning)

Once the rest is in line with the string (right to left) and the nock point(up and down), then you have perfect arrow flight. At that point you would move your sight to "sight in" your pins.

I would also like correction to my understanding of this if need be.

The goal of tuning is to get the "power stroke" of the bow (i.e., the path traveled by the nocking point during the shot) aligned with the arrow, which will produce optimal arrow flight and help broadheads and field points achieve the same point of impact. Horizontal power stroke adjustments are be made by adjusting centershot (moving rest left/right), shimming cams, and adjusting yoke twists. Vertical power stroke adjustments are made by adjusting rest elevation, nocking point location, and cam timing.

The goal of sight adjustment is to get arrows to hit "behind the pin."

Tune first then adjust your sight.

Might mouse is spot on. I only get my sight close enough to hit the target in the beginning and then I can start fine tuning with rest movement, shimming cams, yoke tuning, or cable guard manipulating. Once I am satisfied with the tune, I will adjust my sight.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You can move your sight wherever you want to and that doesn't change the flight of the arrow. Tuning changes the flight of the arrow.

jmez

WKR
The goal of tuning is to get the "power stroke" of the bow (i.e., the path traveled by the nocking point during the shot) aligned with the arrow, which will produce optimal arrow flight and help broadheads and field points achieve the same point of impact. Horizontal power stroke adjustments are be made by adjusting centershot (moving rest left/right), shimming cams, and adjusting yoke twists

I would take it one step further and say that the goal is to get the "power stroke" of the bow aligned with the centerline of the bow, then align the arrow to that. You do that with shims, yokes and the cable guard. Use the rest a last resort, or to make tiny adjustments.

Factory recommended centershot should be the centerline of the bow. Set you rest here then move the powerstroke/horizonatal nock travel to the centerline.

MattB

WKR
As stated, sights have nothing to do with tuning, just with aiming.

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Might mouse is spot on. I only get my sight close enough to hit the target in the beginning and then I can start fine tuning with rest movement, shimming cams, yoke tuning, or cable guard manipulating. Once I am satisfied with the tune, I will adjust my sight.

Can u talk briefly on cable gaurd manipulation? Is it still done on today's new bows, VXR for example? Thnx

Can u talk briefly on cable gaurd manipulation? Is it still done on today's new bows, VXR for example? Thnx
Sure, so some bows have tunable cable containment systems like the Elite LTR or Prime Flexis AR. Some bows have a simple cable slide on a bent rod. All of these systems can be manipulated to correct some tuning problems or fletching clearance issues. If you have a nock right paper tear, bare shaft hitting left, or broadhead hitting left you would move the cables away from the arrow shaft or to the right of you are holding the bow for a right handed shooter(more pressure on the cables). Vice versa for nock left, broadhead and bare shaft right.

Some bows have static cable containment systems. The VXR and every Mathews with the roller guard is static.

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider

Can u talk briefly on cable gaurd manipulation? Is it still done on today's new bows, VXR for example? Thn
Sure, so some bows have tunable cable containment systems like the Elite LTR or Prime Flexis AR. Some bows have a simple cable slide on a bent rod. All of these systems can be manipulated to correct some tuning problems or fletching clearance issues. If you have a nock right paper tear, bare shaft hitting left, or broadhead hitting left you would move the cables away from the arrow shaft or to the right of you are holding the bow for a right handed shooter(more pressure on the cables). Vice versa for nock left, broadhead and bare shaft right.

Some bows have static cable containment systems. The VXR and every Mathews with the roller guard is static.

TY sir!

SDHNTR

WKR
Bow tuning, by definition, has nothing to do with the sight. The object of bow tuning is to get a straight arrow coming out of the bow.