Tuning question / help

DuckDogDr

WKR
first time filling with a compound ever so please forgive any “stupid” questions

My bow is supposedly paper tuning perfect from shop (paper tuned at 5-10 ft)

I have a fast Eddie sight I know I need to adjust as arrows are landing about a foot right at 10 yards.
I’m assuming it’s normal both 260 and 320 spine arrows are knocking left since my sight is off ?

Get the sight adjusted then worry about spine dynamics?

65 lbs 80% let off vs 85
27” draw
175 gr points

MT257

WKR
I’d start with finding out how it tunes for you. Who shot it through paper ?

Both those shafts should be pretty stiff out of that bow.

Once a bow is tuned for a stiff shaft, it should pretty well be tuned for any stiff shaft. So going between those 2 I'm gonna guess won't matter. Assuming they aren't like 30" long for some reason.

A foot at 10 yards is a lot, might double check the centershot, getting out to distance you might not have enough windage.

I don't worry over spine dynamics, just make sure it's stiff enough.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
I’d start with finding out how it tunes for you. Who shot it through paper ?
The dealer.
They paper tune at 5 ft though… my gut says needs to be paper tuned further out .

How far is too far to do this. I am bareshaft testing right now .. trying to be OCD about arrow flight as will be using single bevel heads vs mechanical

1 foot off at 10 yards means your bow is not in tune.. Set center shot at 13/16 from riser, make sure arrow is nocked square and inline with the berger hole, If you're arrow is still hitting waaaay off, then the cams need to be shimmed or yoke tuned(depends on what bow you have). Don't move your arrow rest till you broadhead tune

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
The dealer.
They paper tune at 5 ft though… my gut says needs to be paper tuned further out .

How far is too far to do this. I am bareshaft testing right now .. trying to be OCD about arrow flight as will be using single bevel heads vs mechanical

5' is a good distance to paper tune with a fletched field point (FP) tipped arrow. Fletching corrects the flight so quickly with a field point on the end that much further than 5' to 6' and you won't see how the arrow is leaving the bow very well, the fletching is already correcting it. 5' is a pretty commonly used distance for most shops, assuming they're not tuning with a bare shaft arrow.

With that being said, it sounds like someone at the shop shot the bow during paper tuning? That doesn't do a great job for you, as you likely have different shooting form than the Tech that shot the bow.

Paper tuning at 5' with a fletched field point tipped arrow is a good starting point. It is only a snapshot of what the arrow is doing at one single distance but normally gets you close enough that the final tuning can begin. It can be close enough for shooting FP's, but may not shoot well once a fixed broadhead (BH) is put on the end. The blades on the front of the arrow try to steer the arrow too, and it takes longer for the fletchings to correct the arrow flight since they are "fighting" those planing blades on the front end.

Your bow tune may still be quite a bit off if your shooting form is quite a bit different than the Tech that shot the bow. Hopefully it is close enough that just a bit more slight adjustments are needed to finalize the tune.

You do need to get your sight adjusted so you're hitting closer to point of aim (POA), just to ensure you don't miss the whole target. But hitting to the right at 10 yards may or may not indicate the bow tune is off. If it is a new to you bow setup, it is common for the sight to be quite a bit off when first put on the bow. You mentioned thinking the arrows are flying nock left since you're hitting so far to the right, but it may just be that the sight simply needs adjusted. It is pretty common for a sight to need quite a bit of adjustment when it is put on a bow for the first time, whether the sight is new or coming from a different bow setup.

At the point you're at, I would get the sight sighted in with FP arrows at whatever distances you want, then move to checking the tuning of the bow a bit further. The bow tune is probably plenty fine to get sighted in. If you find that you're running out of sight adjustment in one direction when sighting in, then I would worry more about how far off the bow tune may be...or how much it may be your own shooting form causing it. Only worry about that if the sight runs out of adjustment.

Marble

WKR
With the Fast Eddie's, there are several different positions the bracket connecting the sight housing to the bow can be put in. I doubt this is the only issue, as there could be several making you hit way off at 10'.

You do not need to be OCD about the tuning of the arrows and the bow. Making sure the arrows go through paper correctly, your arrows are set up correctly, which, as pointed out earlier, are very over spined.

Being new to archery, your best focus should be on form, learning your shot process and perfecting it. If you focus too much on your equipment and always look to it as the issue with accuracy, you will struggle with improving your skills.

Keep it simple until you have some background experience to go further into your set up.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
My guess is you are inducing a bunch of torque into your riser. Most tech's are very proficient at shooting bullet holes. It won't shoot exactly the same for you, yet should be very close. You may want to rethink your broadhead choice as well. If your having torque issues you would be better serve with something vented like a Micro Hades, the original Montec, or the Evolution Outdoors head.

WCB

WKR
Keep it simple.

Pick 1 spine. Shoot through paper your self at 5' or so. Get bullet holes (fletched arrows)

Make sure sight is not adjusted to the most extreme end of the windage. If it is not somewhat centered fix it. You should basically be able to line up the string down the center of the Shelf. The arrow and pins essentially should line up with the string. If the arrow is way off of center you know the issue. If the arrow is good or really close and the pins aren't its a simple sight movement.

sight in field points and broadhead tune. IMO bare shaft is a waste of time. There is no way imo that someone paper tuned that bow with your spined arrows, got bullet holes and you are shooting 12" right unless the sight just isn't adjsuted right.