Bowfishing anyone?

I’ve Been Bowfishing for quite awhile. Setting up my boat with lights etc for nighttime outings. Went with a guy last spring and it was a blast.

Looking for ideas on light setup. Wanting them removable so I can take them off easy enough for regular fishing and duck hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use a portable generator to run two 400 watt metal halide lights on my gigging boat. The lights are mounted on a removable aluminum deck that covers the front end of the boat from the bow to the forwardmost bench. The light sockets plug into a ballast that sits under the deck, and I run an extension cord from the ballast to the generator at the rear of the boat. I've met some guys who have ditched the generator and switched over to LED's powered by deep cycle batteries. Eliminating the weight and noise of a generator would be nice, but even the brightest LED setup I've seen on a gigging rig can't hold a candle (pun intended) to my metal halides.

I haven't been bowfishing, so I don't know how much light you're needing. For gigging, being able to see just a little deeper into the water can make the difference between getting a boatload of fish and getting skunked. If ultra brightness isn't necessary for bowfishing, I would try a battery-powered LED setup for the sake of simplicity, cost efficiency, and quietness.
FB_IMG_1708395368938.jpg