Bowhunting distance in Wyoming.

I've recently moved to Wyoming and am currently practicing bowhunting for next year, for anyone that has bowhunted here what was the average shot distance and what game was it on?

The average has been close to that 30-yard mark across the board (elk, deer, antelope). Obviously that includes longer shots but for me, those are few and far between. Folks always say to prepare for longer shots on Pronghorn but my experience has been that if you are patient, shots can be 40 yards and under even when using spot and stalk methods.

OP
BipolarBear
The average has been close to that 30-yard mark across the board (elk, deer, antelope). Obviously that includes longer shots but for me, those are few and far between. Folks always say to prepare for longer shots on Pronghorn but my experience has been that if you are patient, shots can be 40 yards and under even when using spot and stalk methods.
That's the distance I thought, my point on is at 30 yards and I've been practicing on a small bag target, RIP to the arrows I've broke lol but I am getting better at it

I will add that I am a firm believer in practicing at longer yardages but then setting a personal limit to my maximum shooting range when hunting.
This. Alot can happen at longer yardage. I hunt Nevada and Oregon mostly for deer and have never launched an arrow with my trad bow over 30. Lots in the 10 to 20 yard range. If it's over that, get closer. That's half the fun of the challenge with a tradbow.

wytx

WKR
20 yds max with my longbow.
I've had all the animals I've bow hunted inside that range at some point on my hunts. Getting the shot, another story.
Lots of elk at say 40+ yds too.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I practice with my sticks out to 50 but that’s only worst case for a follow up shot. 35 and under is my preferred. Shot one deer at 40 and one at 34, the rest have all been under 20 yards.

LostArra

WKR
If the op's move to Wyoming means he's new to elk hunting then my suggestion is practice estimating distance every chance you get. I see whitetail deer almost every day and I'm pretty good at estimating distance on them but elk are so big that they look closer than they really are especially if they are uphill. Yes, rangefinders are nice but elk are not the most cooperative animal to range unless it's for rifle hunting.