Bowtech Revolt X80 splintered limb

Mogollon Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Got my first 80lb bow this year in the form of a revolt x80. Really was loving it until yesterday when one of the limbs decided to fail at full draw. Not super catastrophic or anything but I'm now questioning whether or not I want to keep this bow. Looking for experiences with 80lb bowtechs as well as with other brands in the 80lb+ category.20230722_144548.jpg
As a side note, my buddy's matthews v3x got some splintering in 2 of its limbs earlier this week and we've both been leaving or bows in our trucks during the week. This has us thinking that the Arizona heat is the culprit. 100°+ weather is even worse inside a vehicle.
I'm sure some of you will say there's no need to shoot a bow above 70lbs and that's true but I want to go fast. Arrow weight was 465grns so well above 5grns per lb.

I've been using an 80# Bowtech for about 10 years and no problems until last week when it got left in the car for a few hours and it delaminated like yours. I think the heat is the issue. Won't shoot anything less than 80# personally. The extra speed gives me a huge amount of forgiveness when estimating yardage in hunting situations.

OP
M

Mogollon Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I've been using an 80# Bowtech for about 10 years and no problems until last week when it got left in the car for a few hours and it delaminated like yours. I think the heat is the issue. Won't shoot anything less than 80# personally. The extra speed gives me a huge amount of forgiveness when estimating yardage in hunting situations.
Thanks for your reply, it's exactly what I was hoping to hear. The extra power sure is nice, the sight tape for that bow went out to 155 before getting arrow clearance issues.

OR Archer

WKR
I also live in AZ. I won’t even leave my bow in my garage for extended periods of time in this heat. My truck is regularly 120plus when I get out of work at 5pm. Definitely not a good idea to leave your bow in there during the day.

Definitely a factor of leaving the bow in your vehicle unfortunately.

I’ve heard of quite a few recent instances of bows “blowing up” from being left in a vehicle. Especially lately with the record heat that’s been going on throughout the south west.

OP
M

Mogollon Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Thanks for the input guys, my confidence is restored somewhat in my bow. Definitely not going to be leaving it in the truck anymore. The worst part of the situation is that I have a 3d shoot on Friday/Saturday and the bow is in the shop for warranty. Gonna be shooting it with an old loaner hoyt.

They are repairing under warranty when it’s customers fault? Wish they’d done that when I dry fired my SS34.

Reactions: Zac

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
In the past 5 years I've had a mathews vertix splinter a v3 x33 that was a month old. A bowtech solution splinter twice.. and more recently a elite omnia.. They don't make bows to shoot everyday imo. They know 90 % of bowhunters pull their Bow out in August then put it away in January..

Ucsdryder

WKR
In the past 5 years I've had a mathews vertix splinter a v3 x33 that was a month old. A bowtech solution splinter twice.. and more recently a elite omnia.. They don't make bows to shoot everyday imo. They know 90 % of bowhunters pull their Bow out in August then put it away in January..
There’s an issue. You’ve had 5 bows splinter in 5 years? I’d put money on it that the common denominator is you.

OP, Never leave a bow in a hot car!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Dunno, could be lots of things. Too light of an arrow? Leaving your bow in a hot car? Garage? Pressing the bow wrong? Doing your own bow work at home? Aftermarket strings out of spec? Bow severely out of spec from “tuning” it wrong? Adding a few twists to the cable to increase poundage? Hell, I don’t know without following you around but, bows don’t just explode one after the other every few month. 20 years ago, shooting bow techs…maybe.

5 bows in 5 years is a trend. Where there’s smoke there’s usually fire. Or you’re the most unlucky archer out there!

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Dunno, could be lots of things. Too light of an arrow? Leaving your bow in a hot car? Garage? Pressing the bow wrong? Doing your own bow work at home? Aftermarket strings out of spec? Bow severely out of spec from “tuning” it wrong? Adding a few twists to the cable to increase poundage? Hell, I don’t know without following you around but, bows don’t just explode one after the other every few month. 20 years ago, shooting bow techs…maybe.

5 bows in 5 years is a trend. Where there’s smoke there’s usually fire. Or you’re the most unlucky archer out there!
I keep my bow in the house. I do my own work but I worked in a bow shop for 4 years..
I keep my bows in spec and no more than a pound or 2 over if they fall there while in spec. Most of that happened with factory strings. Even though I've never had an issue with catfish customs or gas strings..
Oh and I don't shoot light arrows 450 is the lightest I shoot..
BTW a lot of pro archers run their bows out of spec to meet certain draw lengths and feel..

Ucsdryder

WKR
I keep my bow in the house. I do my own work but I worked in a bow shop for 4 years..
I keep my bows in spec and no more than a pound or 2 over if they fall there while in spec. Most of that happened with factory strings. Even though I've never had an issue with catfish customs or gas strings..
Oh and I don't shoot light arrows 450 is the lightest I shoot..
BTW a lot of pro archers run their bows out of spec to meet certain draw lengths and feel..
Lije I said, you could be unlucky. If I had to take a guess I’d double check how you’re pressing the bows. Seems like the most possible issue, assuming it’s something you’re doing that’s stressing limbs. Either way that sucks, nothing more annoying than having a bow tuned just right then having an issue and starting over!

TheTone

WKR
Dang!! That’s some rotten luck, I’d hate to think of the number of arrows I’ve shot in the past 20 years without an issue

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Dang!! That’s some rotten luck, I’d hate to think of the number of arrows I’ve shot in the past 20 years without an issue
None of them where catastrophic failure. Just a tiny splinter but if you buy a bow new there shouldn't be any issues.. the Elite I did cause. It chiped when it fell over at TAC . I had the hoyt legs on it . Big gust of wind and it fell. The others were small splinters on top of the limbs. Bow shop said he was seeing quite a few when the bow tech messed up on me.. One of the vertix limbs splintered In the shop when the tech an I were paper tuning. He heard it when I drew back..
2 things I have horrible luck with.. bows and game cameras..

TheTone

WKR
None of them where catastrophic failure. Just a tiny splinter but if you buy a bow new there shouldn't be any issues.. the Elite I did cause. It chiped when it fell over at TAC . I had the hoyt legs on it . Big gust of wind and it fell. The others were small splinters on top of the limbs. Bow shop said he was seeing quite a few when the bow tech messed up on me.. One of the vertix limbs splintered In the shop when the tech an I were paper tuning. He heard it when I drew back..
2 things I have horrible luck with.. bows and game cameras..
Game cams I totally believe. Outside of a few brands I think they’re basically rolling the dice. Always fun to check one that just didn’t work for some unknown reason

OP
M

Mogollon Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Game cams I totally believe. Outside of a few brands I think they’re basically rolling the dice. Always fun to check one that just didn’t work for some unknown reason
I won't ever have that problem again, they're outlawed here in AZ.

MattB

WKR
A friend used to run an archery shop in AZ and saw this a lot during the summers. Guys would even lead with “Not sure what happened, and I didn’t leave it in a hot car.” So, you left it in a hot car? Sadly self-inflicted.