boyds stock experience?

Blaw

WKR
any experience using a boyds stock for a LR build? I am looking specifically at the pro varmint, looks like a A-5 clone?

It would of course be pillar and glass bedded

reason being ...not many 300wm remington 783 stocks out there

and my 783 shoots sub moa, so it should be decent mechanically out to 1k....in the process of actually being able to do it.

wyosam

WKR
I just mounted my model 12 savage 223 in a pro varmint today. I was impressed with the fit as is, and it shoots very well. I'll bed it at some point. The fit and finish was nicer than I expected at the price.

Wapiti1

WKR
They make a decent stock. If going laminate expect it to be heavy. I have used several of them and they all worked fine.

Jeremy

archp625

WKR
I had one on a 6.5 CM XPR for the same reason. No one else made an aftermarket stock for it. The stock was very nice and a good fit but just heavy as hell. The gun didn't shoot very well so sold it.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’ve built 4 rifles with their stocks and all were excellent and very well priced. Wouldn’t hesitate to do it again

Felix40

WKR
I have one on my 300wsm model 70. So far no complaints. I did get some swelling at the butt pad when I was in Alaska but that was basically 7 days in a steady downpour. I ended up hollowing out the butt later to reduce the weight.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve put somewhere around 40-50 rifles into Boyds stocks. They almost always require a little fitting, and always benefit (like all wood stocks) from pillar blocking and bedding, and appropriate relief work in mag wells, but once you’re in, you’re in. Occasionally they might need straightened, and you have a limited selection of barrel channel options. For the money, they’re not bad. Compared to more typical target stocks like Manners, McMillan, or Foundation, costing 5-10x more, there’s a lot to be desired from any laminate wood stock, but for ~$200-250, they’re hard to beat.

I use a Savage Mark II 22LR in a Boyd’s Pro-Varmint as a practice analogy for my match rifles, both in McMillan and Manners stocks.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I have one on my 300wsm model 70. So far no complaints. I did get some swelling at the butt pad when I was in Alaska but that was basically 7 days in a steady downpour. I ended up hollowing out the butt later to reduce the weight.
looking at hollowing a pro varmint out actually, did it make much of a difference in weight?

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I’ve put somewhere around 40-50 rifles into Boyds stocks. They almost always require a little fitting, and always benefit (like all wood stocks) from pillar blocking and bedding, and appropriate relief work in mag wells, but once you’re in, you’re in. Occasionally they might need straightened, and you have a limited selection of barrel channel options. For the money, they’re not bad. Compared to more typical target stocks like Manners, McMillan, or Foundation, costing 5-10x more, there’s a lot to be desired from any laminate wood stock, but for ~$200-250, they’re hard to beat.

I use a Savage Mark II 22LR in a Boyd’s Pro-Varmint as a practice analogy for my match rifles, both in McMillan and Manners stocks.
that 22LR is the exact setup I will have including stock, how do you like it?

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
that 22LR is the exact setup I will have including stock, how do you like it?

I like it, and like it even more because it didn’t cost Vudoo money. My practice 22LR (since I seem to never end up going to NRL22 matches) is a Savage Mark II BSEV, it came in a Boyd’s evolution stock, but I restocked it into an adjustable Pro-Varmint. Bushnell LRHSi, Nightforce 20moa rail and rings, added an Area419 Arcalock rail like my centerfire match rifles since the pic below, and since went to a Sav-Rat trigger. It shoots small as I need. Not as smooth and mags are a pain compared to the top end 700 footprint 22LR’s out there, but it could be a lot worse for what I ask it. I take it out to 325 regularly (length of my “backyard” range).

This is my wife practicing the PRS Speed Skills stage at 100yrds on 3” gongs.
8E2BA6D2-6561-4983-809C-F0C92AD65596.jpeg

A better photo, after I’d done some offhand, standing practice, with the Fortune Cookie under my elbow and the hasty sling. 150yrds offhand standing, needed to add a couple tenths to my dope, but I kept them all from slipping off the bottom of the plate. Just. But just.

51A5DD24-11C2-4AED-A9A8-964317F8B2F5.jpeg

It shoots about as small as I’m able with a 22LR from a bipod. This was Eley Club (not sorted) at 50yrds.
7A2E9155-02DF-4B04-9F41-B03187984968.jpeg

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I like it, and like it even more because it didn’t cost Vudoo money. My practice 22LR (since I seem to never end up going to NRL22 matches) is a Savage Mark II BSEV, it came in a Boyd’s evolution stock, but I restocked it into an adjustable Pro-Varmint. Bushnell LRHSi, Nightforce 20moa rail and rings, added an Area419 Arcalock rail like my centerfire match rifles since the pic below, and since went to a Sav-Rat trigger. It shoots small as I need. Not as smooth and mags are a pain compared to the top end 700 footprint 22LR’s out there, but it could be a lot worse for what I ask it. I take it out to 325 regularly (length of my “backyard” range).

This is my wife practicing the PRS Speed Skills stage at 100yrds on 3” gongs.
View attachment 163138

A better photo, after I’d done some offhand, standing practice, with the Fortune Cookie under my elbow and the hasty sling. 150yrds offhand standing, needed to add a couple tenths to my dope, but I kept them all from slipping off the bottom of the plate. Just. But just.

View attachment 163139

It shoots about as small as I’m able with a 22LR from a bipod. This was Eley Club (not sorted) at 50yrds.
View attachment 163140
nice shooting! and you even have the scope I want lol

how high does that cheek piece go? everything I have seen does show it going very high

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
@Blaw - I measured one of mine tonight, it appears it will raise ~3/4” before the cam-nuts would be out of the mortises. You can see in the photo, my 44mm scope is considerably higher than it needs to be, so I could bring my scope and my cheekpiece down probably a quarter inch there - OR - have a half inch larger diameter objective, aka, a 56mm would fit over my barrel, and that cheek riser height would put my eye right in the middle of a 56 just as it does that 44. I bought those rings planning for a 50mm, but got a great deal through GAP on that LRHSi and went with it. I need a riser on almost every rifle I own, high cheekbones I guess, but I have not had any issue getting my face where it needs to be with 44 and 50mm objectives over Boyd’s Pro-Varmint stocks.

Wanted to wait until I finished the project to post up, but I just put my T1x in a Boyd’s Pro Varmint. Took some extra inletting for the aftermarket barrel but that was expected. Fitment is great aside from that.
316A4D62-66CC-407C-A9BF-62D25B58BAA3.jpeg

Remington 783 with a criterion 26" barrel in 300 win mag with the Boyd's pro varmint stock, PTG bottom metel. Minor inletting needed. Shoots sub MOA with 215 Berger's. Took my whitetail at 650 yards with it this year.. they're a little on the heavy side but definitely get the job done

Attachments

• IMG_20180815_182341755.jpg
    IMG_20180815_182341755.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 64

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished bedding my first one this morning. The finish is well done, as good as any laminate stock I've had my hands on. For this particular rifle a Boyd's was the only replacement option, but the fit was really poor. It was about 4 degrees off. I removed a bunch of wood from the lug area to see if I could center it after that it turns out the whole cut was just off center. I had to shave a bunch off the inner side to get it to free float.

I asked some friends if they'd ever used these stocks and had issues and the four that had all complained of fit issues.

I contacted their customer support right away with pictures and they basically told me to shave the stock down and make it fit or I could pay to ship it back with a 13% restocking fee and they'd make me another one.

I'd never buy another one, but I'm not totally unhappy with it I guess.

I've experienced two of them both for Tikkas. no fitment issues but I still glass bedded them both. One I turned into a laminate/composite hybrid to reduce weight a bunch and custom contour it. Routed out most of the stock until it was a skeleton, then reinforced it with carbon arrow shafts, then filled the voids with a super tough polyurethane foam. Then gave the whole thing an epoxy skin coat. got it down as light as the tikka factory plastic stock and greatly improved the ergonomics.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I've experienced two of them both for Tikkas. no fitment issues but I still glass bedded them both. One I turned into a laminate/composite hybrid to reduce weight a bunch and custom contour it. Routed out most of the stock until it was a skeleton, then reinforced it with carbon arrow shafts, then filled the voids with a super tough polyurethane foam. Then gave the whole thing an epoxy skin coat. got it down as light as the tikka factory plastic stock and greatly improved the ergonomics.
that is something you should post pics of!

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
ok that is
Remington 783 with a criterion 26" barrel in 300 win mag with the Boyd's pro varmint stock, PTG bottom metel. Minor inletting needed. Shoots sub MOA with 215 Berger's. Took my whitetail at 650 yards with it this year.. they're a little on the heavy side but definitely get the job done
ok that is pretty much exactly what I want to do.
How is the bottom metal? I am assuming you had to do that for the length of the 215 bergers?
any issues with fitment?
what do you think your setup weighs?
I was thinking I might hollow out the buttstock

The bottom metal is great using aics magazines. Rather expensive but very reliable. And yes I had to go that route for the 215 Berger's. My rifle weighs right at almost 15 pounds. It's quite the tank.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
The bottom metal is great using aics magazines. Rather expensive but very reliable. And yes I had to go that route for the 215 Berger's. My rifle weighs right at almost 15 pounds. It's quite the tank.
dang, what would you say is the main contributor to weight?
I may not do bottom metal and just shoot lowly 200gr bullets to save a bit of that weight penalty lol